Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’ve been doing some more research on famine-era emigration (concentrating on Irish) to Canada. Although names, etc., are missing for that period, there are some good overall figures and comments in the official reports.
    Here is a snippet from a report on Quebec 1854:-

"The number aided in their emigration from Ireland was 2963, viz., 61 male, 2591 female adults, and 311 children, being an increase of 1,559 of the same class of persons, sent out in 1853 They were from 58 different Unions, chiefly from the South and west of Ireland.

This class of our emigration continues to give great satisfaction, and, notwithstanding the large number who have been sent out during the past season, complaints of misconduct have only reached me against two, the South Dublin and Cork Unions, and I regret to say that the conduct of a portion of the females from the Dublin Union, has been anything but good. 26 of the females from this Union have been committed to the Montreal Gaol, as loose, idle and disorderly, and from a report received, 12 of them have been committed twice, and one for the third time. These girls were all offered to be forwarded into the country settlements, where they would have at once obtained employment among the farmers, but they refused to leave the city, preferring a life of idleness and vice, to that of honest industry."

Brazen hussies from South Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I've just tried to log on to Irish Genealogy and have got a blank screen with this message:

You have been blocked because of a suspicious activity. We are aware of that.

Has anyone else got this message?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 On Dive

Yes, I too got that message when I tried to log on.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

On Dive wrote: »
    Yes, I too got that message when I tried to log on.

Thanks - looks like they've been hacked....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've added over 100 people to my family tree this week through 2 DNA links, who turn out to be related to each other and descend from a sister of my gg grandmother. Absolutely chuffed, particularly because one of those people only responded on my third attempt in 2 years and I had correctly surmised which part of the family she must come from.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does anyone else get a weird security message when they click on the recent thread about findmypast?
    :confused:

Perhaps it is my anti-virus being over enthusiastic.
    I get the following message:

Deceptive site ahead
    Attackers on raptr.com may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards). Learn more

Automatically send some system information and page content to Google to help detect dangerous apps and sites. Privacy policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm too scared to look now.

No, works for me just fine. Did you click on a link in there or just the thread?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pinkypinky wrote: »
    No, works for me just fine. Did you click on a link in there or just the thread?

It's strange. It is only that thread and I get it whether I go in through the list of recent posts, or for example by clicking on pinkypinky and then clicking on it in a list of your posts.

I wonder is it maybe because of an ad on that page? I have ads switched off, so can't see what ads are displaying on it.

I might post this for the admins to have a look at.

Do. I have ads switched off too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I reported it. Mark says it has happened before and is caused by someone having an image hosted on raptr.com in their signature (or something like that). Anyway, he is looking at it and my computer is not going to blow up (today).

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

spurious wrote: »
    Does anyone else get a weird security message when they click on the recent thread about findmypast?
    :confused:

Perhaps it is my anti-virus being over enthusiastic.
    I get the following message:

Deceptive site ahead
    Attackers on raptr.com may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards). Learn more

Automatically send some system information and page content to Google to help detect dangerous apps and sites. Privacy policy

Yes, I got the same message, its not just you, haven't checked it since yesterday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

pinkypinky wrote: »

shhhh.....which means she's here......maybe even now! (waves at Claire!)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Its a fair bet to say that the Boards.ie forum is the go to resource for countless subjects and interests, within Ireland and beyond. The diversity of topics is incredible, and it's great to know that fount of knowledge is there for all.

Whenever I've got a new problem that needs solving, my first thought is regularly 'What do the good people of Boards have to say?'

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

DamoRed wrote: »
    Whenever I've got a new problem that needs solving, my first thought is regularly 'What do the good people of Boards have to say?'

I have an access problem, so here I am to see if anyone can help. I wonder would anyone with an Ancestry subscription mind looking up Edward Mohan in the 1914 New Zealand Census?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

rhapsody wrote: »
    I have an access problem, so here I am to see if anyone can help. I wonder would anyone with an Ancestry subscription mind looking up Edward Mohan in the 1914 New Zealand Census?

I don't see the 1914 census but I see an Edward Mohan in the 1914 Electoral Rolls living at 31 Dixon Street, Wellington Central. He was a labourer.

srmf5 wrote: »
    I don't see the 1914 census but I see an Edward Mohan in the 1914 Electoral Rolls living at 31 Dixon Street, Wellington Central. He was a labourer.

Excuse the typo- I went looking for census records and ended up with electoral rolls. Thanks for looking this up- is there any further info i.e. age, country of origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

rhapsody wrote: »
    Excuse the typo- I went looking for census records and ended up with electoral rolls. Thanks for looking this up- is there any further info i.e. age, country of origin?

No, it just gives his name, address and occupation.

srmf5 wrote: »
    No, it just gives his name, address and occupation.

Ok, thanks again

• Advertisement

There is an Edward Mohan listed in the 'New Zealand Army WWI Nominal Rolls, 1914-1918' and his father is given as M Mohan in Drogheda.
    Died in France in 1918?

Presumably this is him in 1901.http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/Drogheda_Town/Hand_Street/1566472/

There is an Edward Mohan listed in the 'New Zealand Army WWI Nominal Rolls, 1914-1918' and his father is given as M Mohan in Drogheda.
    Died in France in 1918?

Yes, that's my guy. When he enlisted in 1917, he said he'd been living in NZ for 14 years. He was a marine fireman before the war, and I have him on some shipping records in Australia in 1909, but nothing between then and his first attempt at enlistment in 1915.

Oh I just saw your edit, yes that's him before he went away across the ocean :)

I will have a root and see is there anything else.

I will have a root and see is there anything else.

Thanks very much! FYI I have his birth cert & service record, and I'm looking at shipping records around Aus/NZ at the minute.

You can order his death cert from NZ.
    https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search

There is a record showing he left a will too, but I'm not sure how to get that.

One of these kind folk might point you in the right direction: https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/new-zealand/

You can order his death cert from NZ.
    https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search

There is a record showing he left a will too, but I'm not sure how to get that.

One of these kind folk might point you in the right direction: https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/new-zealand/

Hey thanks for these. I have his will, it was in the middle of his service record. I'll look up those two links- thanks again!

Sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Bizarre

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some would probably say Def Leppard are close to playing cemeteries anyway!

Advertisement