Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job in healthcare sector with theft conviction

• 30-06-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Has anyone managed to get a job in healthcare with a fraud or theft conviction? I applied for a job in healthcare but not dealing directly with patients
    I got a job offer ,They are doing a background check (not Garda vetting) uk company. Any good news stories?
    I really want this job and the conviction was 5 years ago it was a past mistake I have changed and was going through a difficult time at that moment please no judging comments. I’d just like to know if anyone was successful thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fraud and Theft are not the same thing, can you elaborate on which it was, or was it both? Did you have to pay a fine or serve time in jail, if so how long did you spend in Jail?

It also depends on whether the conviction is spent or unspent. I don't believe your employer has a right to know about your spent convictions (open to correction). I'm not an expert on this, but I think it takes 7 years to "spend" your conviction.

Best of luck with the job, and don't go nicking any surgical masks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

If the conviction was in Ireland (?), I'm not sure how a company would get criminal history other than through Garda vetting unless there are newspaper reports. Have they indicated their sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Angelic1986

Fraud and Theft are not the same thing, can you elaborate on which it was, or was it both? Did you have to pay a fine or serve time in jail, if so how long did you spend in Jail?

It also depends on whether the conviction is spent or unspent. I don't believe your employer has a right to know about your spent convictions (open to correction). I'm not an expert on this, but I think it takes 7 years to "spend" your conviction.

Best of luck with the job, and don't go nicking any surgical masks ;)

Hi I spent 1 week on remand And then fined €600 and let go,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Angelic1986

Vetch wrote: »
    If the conviction was in Ireland (?), I'm not sure how a company would get criminal history other than through Garda vetting unless there are newspaper reports. Have they indicated their sources?
    Through a well known uk credit history and background check company

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

If your job requires working with vulnerable people then you will be required to be Garda vetted, it's a requirement.

If you are going to be in a role with no interaction with vulnerable people you might not be vetted but from experience most companies in healthcare vett all their staff just to be on the safe side.

Never had a background check into my credit history before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement