Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I move home?

Options
  • 14-05-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've been living in London for 8 years and always assumed I'd move back to Ireland at some point. I'm in my mid-thirties male and single and to be honest, I think I'd rather settle in Ireland eventually. Anyone have a similar experience with moving back? Was it a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

SeanSSS wrote: »
    I've been living in London for 8 years and always assumed I'd move back to Ireland at some point. I'm in my mid-thirties male and single and to be honest, I think I'd rather settle in Ireland eventually. Anyone have a similar experience with moving back? Was it a good idea?

I do find Ireland a little boring and would have liked to settle elsewhere but saying that I worked out that I have lived in in 6 different countries during my life and still end up coming back to my friends and family in Ireland so I guess its not that boring :D

I just recently moved back from France after living there two years there as the job salaries are way better in Ireland so I was fortunate to keep my Irish job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

All other things being equal (ability to get a job, salary expectation etc), I don't think you have much to lose by moving back to be honest. While it is a relatively big move, there's nothing stopping you coming home to see if it works out and fulfills your expectations of the life you think you'll have in Ireland. I suppose it depends where you'd be moving back to also.

I was in a relationship where I met an Irish girl working in London, she moved home for a year and a half but our relationship ended, I think she was back working in London within about a month. Not saying it's always so easy, but you could always head back if it didn't work out the way you thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SeanSSS

All other things being equal (ability to get a job, salary expectation etc), I don't think you have much to lose by moving back to be honest. While it is a relatively big move, there's nothing stopping you coming home to see if it works out and fulfills your expectations of the life you think you'll have in Ireland. I suppose it depends where you'd be moving back to also.

I was in a relationship where I met an Irish girl working in London, she moved home for a year and a half but our relationship ended, I think she was back working in London within about a month. Not saying it's always so easy, but you could always head back if it didn't work out the way you thought.

Good point I can always come back to London, although I do have a permanent job here and annoyingly in my industry (media) a lot of the work is freelance so very few people will take you on unless your in the country and ready to work so if I was to go back it would be a case of packing in my permanent job and taking my chances once I arrive...

I think it could be a pipe dream in my head moving back and settling with an irish girl, I just really don't see myself settling out of ireland which leads to me think I should either move back and stop wasting time, or let go of the ideal situation in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SeanSSS

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I do find Ireland a little boring and would have liked to settle elsewhere but saying that I worked out that I have lived in in 6 different countries during my life and still end up coming back to my friends and family in Ireland so I guess its not that boring :D

I just recently moved back from France after living there two years there as the job salaries are way better in Ireland so I was fortunate to keep my Irish job.

Haha exactly, following career is all well and good but sometimes quality of life when friends and family are near is a lot better.

Advertisement