Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Radio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

1. Yes there was,Theres a difference between a pirate,and a legal community Radio station.The net may be the way forward,but just because you can broadcast from the likes of ShoutCast,Caster FM etc,you still have to pay royalties on the music you play....so money is still an issue
    and you also have to have a licence to be a community radio. tipp Midwest is community radio isn't it?

LoveCoke wrote: »
    and you also have to have a licence to be a community radio. tipp Midwest is community radio isn't it?

You do need a licence,thats what I meant by "legal Community radio"..Tipp midwest is in my opinion a good example of what Community Radio should be

You do need a licence,thats what I meant by "legal Community radio"..Tipp midwest is in my opinion a good example of what Community Radio should be
    what do you think of joe pryce, listening to him now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Yes for a very small town and I know that it area includes Cashel. It does a very good job. A certain Cannon Hayes from Bansha was a pioneer in community development he founded the original "Muintir Na Tire" decades before local radio started. Tipp town deserves it's community Radio.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Big Tanya

I like the music on Tipp Mid west. I like country music.
    On tipp fm I like Carol power, she is one of my favourites.
    her sunday morning show is a true delight to listen to on a lazy morning in bed.
    We are lucky to have two good local stations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Xenophile wrote: »
    With such close co-operation between Clare and Tipp FM. I feel sure that there is a good case to be made for community radio for both Ennis and Clonmel.

Clare fm has a very high standard. I don't think there would be room for a community radio to be honest.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Clare fm has a very high standard. I don't think there would be room for a community radio to be honest.
    they do not show much of a high standard in TippFM givemn the same boss

they do not show much of a high standard in TippFM givemn the same boss

It has its own managers and so on. There's a lot more to a radio station then one director. He wouldn't be the only director in tipp fm either.

It has its own managers and so on. There's a lot more to a radio station then one director. He wouldn't be the only director in tipp fm either.
    he is ultimately responsible, the news output at weekends is a joke, there is supposed to be local news on each bulletin. pre recorded programmes are a joke too, if it is true

That's a fair point.

They also have to compete with Communicorp (that's Newstalk and Today FM) and RTE, and comply with regulations. There's a lot of work that goes into it that you wouldn't think. (I don't work for them by the way).

If you want to change something in a company you have to go through a lot of various steps, even for the simpliest of things. Crazy bureaucracy one might say. That's Ireland for you.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point.

They also have to compete with Communicorp (that's Newstalk and Today FM) and RTE, and comply with regulations. There's a lot of work that goes into it that you wouldn't think. (I don't work for them by the way).

If you want to change something in a company you have to go through a lot of various steps, even for the simpliest of things. Crazy bureaucracy one might say. That's Ireland for you.
    they do not comply with news regulations and possibly prerecorded ones

they do not comply with news regulations and possibly prerecorded ones

Give me a few examples of this?

Give me a few examples of this?
    news on sat and sundays should come from their own newsroom and have local news on each bulletin during day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

he is ultimately responsible, the news output at weekends is a joke, there is supposed to be local news on each bulletin. pre recorded programmes are a joke too, if it is true

Its a sad fact of radio today that a lot of voice tracking goes on.The top man in Clare FM is a Tipp man,I cant understand why they joined up,unless the listener figures are just in their imagination,and thay were putting their own spin on them.I would love to know what listenership,the former breakfast guy has on his online station.Maybe thats the way to go for a Clonmel local radio,still cost money,but get it out there,then maybe a weekend fm licence down the line,That is of course if there a need or a want for such a station.To me Tipp FM is more independent than local.Real local radio ended with the ending of the pirates.The radio people who paved the way towards the licence were over taken by the suits with an eye for a dollar.The communications minister at the time was Ray Burke,he said "Radio licences werent a licence to print money "..Money was made,but by business people,not the real radio people,which ended with all radio stations sounding the same..just a few thoughts:D

DT100 wrote: »
    Its a sad fact of radio today that a lot of voice tracking goes on.The top man in Clare FM is a Tipp man,I cant understand why they joined up,unless the listener figures are just in their imagination,and thay were putting their own spin on them.I would love to know what listenership,the former breakfast guy has on his online station.Maybe thats the way to go for a Clonmel local radio,still cost money,but get it out there,then maybe a weekend fm licence down the line,That is of course if there a need or a want for such a station.To me Tipp FM is more independent than local.Real local radio ended with the ending of the pirates.The radio people who paved the way towards the licence were over taken by the suits with an eye for a dollar.The communications minister at the time was Ray Burke,he said "Radio licences werent a licence to print money "..Money was made,but by business people,not the real radio people,which ended with all radio stations sounding the same..just a few thoughts:D
    probably

In voice tracking does the dj just record the parts he speaks? Who plays the songs?

probably

In voice tracking does the dj just record the parts he speaks? Who plays the songs?

Generally a lot of the music these days are scheduled and planned in advance. They wouldn't be thought of on the spot normally. Its all software based I believe. I guess it all depends but a lot of editting would be involved sometimes.

probably

Radio stations thes days dont use cd's...all the music is on pc....There are different playout systems used,the like of Radiomation and others.Links and promos,adverts can be inserted at any point.A good indication of voice tracking is,no time checks,no invitation to call the station with requests,and as I have heard many times,before a song comes on " Here is x"....X doesnt come on...That can happen on live radio too,but is usually corrected,not always though...

The faders are used incorrectly sometimes as they are inserted into the system, all the intros and outros are on a database. Adverts and such are timed to the second and the presentor can see if he is over time. A lot of them use RCS software.

They have to play ads for revenue purposes but also they need to be on time, and they can't go over due to bai regulations.

Normally radio stations have a particular person to schedule all the music to be played.

A good indication of when its prerecorded is when you hear no number to text or no callers ringing in to the debate.

Radio stations thes days dont use cd's...all the music is on pc....There are different playout systems used,the like of Radiomation and others.Links and promos,adverts can be inserted at any point.A good indication of voice tracking is,no time checks,no invitation to call the station with requests,and as I have heard many times,before a song comes on " Here is x"....X doesnt come on...That can happen on live radio too,but is usually corrected,not always though...
    is tip fm voice tracked during the week?

is tip fm voice tracked during the week?

Yes, but not always. Some parts of shows would have prerecords but generally not voice tracking, that's really only for weekends. But that is be expected just in any radio station. Most likely the early morning/late at night are all voice tracked.

Its not always possible to do live.

• Advertisement

Yes, but not always. Some parts of shows would be probably and then the presentor would jump in at the end to the next topic. But that is be expected just in any radio station. Most likely the early morning/late at night are all pre records.

Its not always possible to do live. Eg speaking to someone abroad and timezones etc so it sometimes has to be prerecorded.

Presenters and pre records during programmes would be totally different to voice tracking really.Voice tracking would be a total programme,broadcast as live....Even though its not.

Presenters and pre records during programmes would be totally different to voice tracking really.Voice tracking would be a total programme,broadcast as live....Even though its not.

Posted edited. Wasn't thinking.

so f a programme at weekend is all recorded, that is voice tracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

The use of lingo and terminology suggests to me that people posting on the subject of TippFM on this thread are people close to the industry ' This thread has just been brought to my attention and its obvious to me that most of the posters are signicantly more then ( passer by posters ) I suspect the contributers are closer to the station .Theres appears to be an issue with morale ' The station is firmly positioned as one of the most successful Radio Stations in the country . They have achieved huge share but they are challenged by turning the share into revenue . The problem isn't the amount of listeners but quality of listener . There are ways of addressing this but that conversation is for another time ' Market Share traditionly created more revenue through national / IRS sales but in the case of targeted local sales market share is almost irrelevant when the share consists if the lowest commen denominator in terms of " Listener " . Simply put TippFM have huge listenership according to MRBI/JNLR but these listeners are not spenders which gives for little value for the advertiser ' Again things that can be quite easily addressed . Finally I think a lot of the criticism here is unfounded and unfair ' some areas need attention like the playlisting ' morning and evening drive and a few other small bits here and there but quite honestly the TippFM team are doing a bloody good job . The Liam O'Shea I know will tweak all areas of programming in time but I'm sure he's initial concerns will be in the area of sales ?

Maybe get the product right and sales will start to take care of itself .

Chase better quality listeners rather then
    volume would be my approach for a more sustained and viable business model .

JohnPlayer

johnplayer wrote: »
    The use of lingo and terminology suggests to me that people posting on the subject of TippFM on this thread are people close to the industry ' This thread has just been brought to my attention and its obvious to me that most of the posters are signicantly more then ( passer by posters ) I suspect the contributers are closer to the station .Theres appears to be an issue with morale ' The station is firmly positioned as one of the most successful Radio Stations in the country . They have achieved huge share but they are challenged by turning the share into revenue . The problem isn't the amount of listeners but quality of listener . There are ways of addressing this but that conversation is for another time ' Market Share traditionly created more revenue through national / IRS sales but in the case of targeted local sales market share is almost irrelevant when the share consists if the lowest commen denominator in terms of " Listener " . Simply put TippFM have huge listenership according to MRBI/JNLR but these listeners are not spenders which gives for little value for the advertiser ' Again things that can be quite easily addressed . Finally I think a lot of the criticism here is unfounded and unfair ' some areas need attention like the playlisting ' morning and evening drive and a few other small bits here and there but quite honestly the TippFM team are doing a bloody good job . The Liam O'Shea I know will tweak all areas of programming in time but I'm sure he's initial concerns will be in the area of sales ?

JohnPlayer
    you must be close too with your joining to make that comment
    but quite honestly the TippFM team are doing a bloody good job
    not with news which is a high point of their licence
    The Liam O'Shea I know
    is that you liam?

you must be close too with your joining to make that comment
    not with news which is a high point of their licence

is that you liam?

Check again and you'll find that I joined in 2011 .

Not Liam O'Shea

Not close to TippFm .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Check again and you'll find that I joined in 2011

Simple but brilliant. :)

The use of lingo and terminology suggests to me that people posting on the subject of TippFM on this thread are people close to the industry ' This thread has just been brought to my attention and its obvious to me that most of the posters are signicantly more then ( passer by posters ) I suspect the contributers are closer to the station .Theres appears to be an issue with morale '

I don't work in Tipp FM. With all due respect, if your going to quote please do it properly.

Think about something more constructive to say about the topic rather than ranting over and over again.

I regularly pass by here but rarely post.

I don't work in Tipp FM. With all due respect, if your going to quote please do it properly.

Think about something more constructive to say about the topic rather than ranting over and over again.

I regularly pass by here but rarely post.

In eight pages of thread I consider my post hugely more constructive then any other . Who did I quote ? Where have I ranted over and over again ? I did little more then share my thoughts on the topic and was offensive to nobody . I did suggest that many people here are close to TippFm ' Closer then you think . I didn't say ALL posters here were such . I'm interested in the cause of you getting so exercised .

• Advertisement

In eight pages of thread I consider my post hugely more constructive then any other . Who did I quote ? Where have I ranted over and over again ? I did little more then share my thoughts on the topic and was offensive to nobody . I did suggest that many people here are close to TippFm ' Closer then you think . I didn't say ALL posters here were such . I'm interested in the cause of you getting so exercised .

I really don't want to go into an argument. It really isn't necessary to have this. By quotes I meant the following, (it gets confusing)
    '
    The use of lingo and terminology suggests to me that people posting on the subject of TippFM on this thread are people close to the industry ' This thread has just been brought to my attention and its obvious to me that most of the posters are signicantly more then ( passer by posters ) I suspect the contributers are closer to the station .Theres appears to be an issue with morale ' The station is firmly positioned as one of the most successful Radio Stations in the country . They have achieved huge share but they are challenged by turning the share into revenue . The problem isn't the amount of listeners but quality of listener . There are ways of addressing this but that conversation is for another time ' Market Share traditionly created more revenue through national / IRS sales but in the case of targeted local sales market share is almost irrelevant when the share consists if the lowest commen denominator in terms of " Listener " . Simply put TippFM have huge listenership
    according to MRBI/JNLR but these listeners are not spenders which gives for little value for the advertiser ' Again things that can be quite easily addressed . Finally I think a lot of the criticism here is unfounded and unfair ' some areas need attention like the playlisting ' morning and evening drive and a few other small bits here and there but quite honestly the TippFM team are doing a bloody good job . The Liam O'Shea I know will tweak all areas of programming in time but I'm sure he's initial concerns will be in the area of sales ?

I'm not getting all exercised about it. Just why are you questioning that some contributors are nearer to Tipp FM? Its just not relevent. And anyway you seem to know a lot about radio yourself.

Advertisement