Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nenagh Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Is there a computer repair guy/gal around town anymore? There used to be a guy down by the back of Joey O'Connors, is he still around?

Need to price a repair on my cracked laptop screen :cool:

ah here Dave, €200 - €300 to repair a laptop screen? that's madness, no matter how nice the guy is!

the actual average cost to replace a screen is approx €150, nothing whatsoever to do with being in, or out of warranty!

anyway, only reason i was reading this thread is because my wife is actually from nenagh, and tommy in Irish Computers is her cousin. i can certainly vouch for tom as im in the same business myself, but i work in limerick.

what i would actually recommend you do though first, is check out a website called http://www.brokenscreen.ie/ and see how much they'll quote you.

as far as i know, they do free collection and delivery nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

xsiborg wrote: »
    ah here Dave, €200 - €300 to repair a laptop screen? that's madness, no matter how nice the guy is!

the actual average cost to replace a screen is approx €150, nothing whatsoever to do with being in, or out of warranty!

anyway, only reason i was reading this thread is because my wife is actually from nenagh, and tommy in Irish Computers is her cousin. i can certainly vouch for tom as im in the same business myself, but i work in limerick.

what i would actually recommend you do though first, is check out a website called http://www.brokenscreen.ie/ and see how much they'll quote you.

as far as i know, they do free collection and delivery nationwide.

Thanks for that mate, where abouts in Limerick are you based? I work here myself but live in Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gerandy

Hi, I am going to Abbey Court for wedding in a few weeks time and staying night before and night after with a few friends. Are there any very good, lively pubs in Nenagh town.I have came across Figgerty's on the internet thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

gerandy wrote: »
    Hi, I am going to Abbey Court for wedding in a few weeks time and staying night before and night after with a few friends. Are there any very good, lively pubs in Nenagh town.I have came across Figgerty's on the internet thanks
    Una Powell's in summerhill should do. From the hotel walk through the school across the road and Una's is across the road at the other gate of the school

gerandy wrote: »

Plenty of decent pubs around, some better craic than others. Figgertys is a grand spot, bit outside the town. Philly Ryans (if there is a band in) is a fantastic atomsphere, small bit cramped but you'll have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I think the big thing with pubs is that it depends what kind of pub you are into

I wonder could we could up with some categories and then rate the best pub in each category in Nenagh.

For instance the

Best "Old man's pubs" in Nenagh would be either Rohans / Una Powells

So my attempt at this table craic :cool:

Pub | Location | Type | Quality of Beer
    Philly Ryan's|Silver St.|Mixed Crowd (great atomsphere) | Never had an issue
    Talbot|Kenyon St.|Young persons | Can be dodge
    Rohan's|Sarsfield St.|Old mans pub |
    Kenyon | Kenyon St. | Mixed Crowd |
    Una Powels | Summerhill | Old mans Pub/Mixed |
    The Quill | Mitchell St.
    Rocky's | Kickam St. |
    The Well | Mitchell/Sarsfield St. |
    Maddens | Silver St. |

Add more suggestions etc below and I'll make a proper table (have no brain power now :rolleyes:

So my attempt at this table craic :cool:

Pub | Location | Type
    Philly Ryan's|Silver St.|Mixed Crowd (great atomsphere)
    Talbot|Kenyon St.|Young persons
    Rohan's|Sarsfield St.|Old mans pub
    Kenyon | Kenyon St. | Mixed Crowd

Add more suggestions etc below and I'll make a proper table (have no brain power now :rolleyes:

Good stuff dave!

Being the nerdy type maybe an additional column for "quality of beer!" beer in Talbot can be very dodge. Other than that I would agree with your assessment. Might put in Una Powels as well as Old mans pub / mixed crowd. I dont go to Philly Ryans often as its over the other side of town but it is a nice spot any time Ive been there. Im raking my brain for any other good pubs in Nenagh but cant really think of any to be honest.

bawn79 wrote: »
    Good stuff dave!

Being the nerdy type maybe an additional column for "quality of beer!" beer in Talbot can be very dodge. Other than that I would agree with your assessment. Might put in Una Powels as well as Old mans pub / mixed crowd. I dont go to Philly Ryans often as its over the other side of town but it is a nice spot any time Ive been there. Im raking my brain for any other good pubs in Nenagh but cant really think of any to be honest.

I'm the same man, there are how many pubs in the town and I'm coming up blank :rolleyes:

Made a few changes to the table!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Louies | Kenyon St | Young, has pool table |
    Rohan | Sarsfield St | look up old mans pub in the dictionary and it's this | The Guinness is famous |
    Dapp Inn | Sarsfield St | Older crowd, one of the bigger pubs in town, |
    Figgertys | Summerhill | Good mix of all types / young crowd at weekends, has pool tables, good to watch sports|
    Half Door | Summerhill | Old mans Pub, above average bar food, best beef burger in town |
    Sextons | Sarsfield St | ???, never in there, someone can edit this|
    Silvermine| Silver St | Old mans Pub, bookies/racing crowd during the day, good soup and sandwich |
    Hi-B| Pierse St | Oldish, thirties upwards, best barfood in town |
    The Kenyon| Kenyon St | Week-oldish, weekend- young, if you want a quiet lunchtime pint to relax it's where I would go|
    Dowlinz | Kenyon St | Youngish, good atmosphere, great lunchtime barfood |
    The Malt House | Dublin Rd | Oldish crowd, has pool table |
    The Half Barrell| Pierse St | Youngish, tiny, kinda place you stop for shots on a pub crawl and then move on|
    Reddans/Forty Four | Pierse St | Oldish/mixed |
    Fogartys | Summerhill | Oldish crowd |
    Railway Bar | Kenyon St | Closed for the last decade lol :D used to be popular, why closed??? |
    Maddens | Silver St | Mixed to older, good atmosphere |
    Rockys | Banba Sq | Mixed/thirties upwards, | can't be faulted
    Abbots Bar | Hotel, Dublin Rd | Oldish crowd, great staff, avoid if you want to watch sports| best in town, used to barman there :cool:
    The Well | Mitchell and Sarsfield St | Oldish/mixed | not a fan of the service in there |
    Andy Flynns | Sarsfield St | Old mans pub | cannot be faulted |

Fair play Dave, I'll add some more later and sure we can all add to it :)
    Just keep working off the last one

• Advertisement

I went onto to google street view and did a quick lap of the town
    Oh there's a few more but that all I can find for now

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I went onto to google street view and did a quick lap of the town
    Oh there's a few more but that all I can find for now

Fook me, Nice job :) Once it's completed, we'l get a Mod throw it into the OP.

Could even spawn a new thread out of it, Pubs of Nenagh (complete with pics and all :pac:)

EDIT: When did you last work in Abbotts bar? My sister is dating a fella who works in the kitchen.

I'm long gone, about five years ago

Place has gone downhill since I left :pac:

I'm long gone, about five years ago

Place has gone downhill since I left :pac:

My sisters wedding there in Aug 2010, great craic and we were served late enough :D

Went for a cure start of December I think, we were waiting awhile but food was oh so good and a lovely pint of cider to wash it down :pac:

They still seem to be trading strong, hopefully it'll hold up. Some smell of slurry around the town last few nights, not sure if it's blow in from farms or form the creamery, tis stink either way :mad:

It's a good bar alright and it's one of the cheaper ones in town
    You'd think a hotel would be the most expensive but it's not.
    First one open too, doors wide open at half nine every morning, I never turned away anyone looking for an early pint

Ya live in Tipp, it's farming country, bit of slurry shouldn't bother anyone :)
    Easy to blame the mart or Chill Meats but it's the farmers, the land is dry at the moment and they can get it spread now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Brilliant idea!

Is the Widows on Kenyon St still open? Years since I was in there

Also, there was a pub with barfood across the road from AIB, just down from the credit union, that's gone now and I forget the name
    Did a great business in barfood and was a busy place, suprising if it's closed

If you want to go realy old skool does anyone remember the dangerous and ugly looking fuel store and coal merchant that used to be where the credit union is now?
    Ugh, bad times. They did a fantastic job with the credit union and JKCs, the brickwork looks realy well

Anyway there are a few stragglers missing from the list, next person will fill in the blanks :)

Also, there was a pub with barfood across the road from AIB, just down front the credit union, that's gone now and I forget the name

Anyway there are a few stragglers missing from the list, next person will fill in the blanks :)

Widows is now where O'Briens sandwich bar is. I think the pub your talking about across from AIB was Nolans / (maybe Slatterys at one stage?)

I remember it as Slatterys

Just surprised it closed, it was doing good business from the times I was in there
    Great location

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Rohan | Sarsfield St | look up old mans pub in the dictionary and it's this | The Guinness is famous |
    Figgertys | Summerhill | Good mix of all types / young crowd at weekends, has pool tables, good to watch sports|
    Half Door | Summerhill | Old mans Pub, above average bar food, best beef burger in town |
    Sextons | Sarsfield St | ???, never in there, someone can edit this|
    Silvermine| Silver St | Old mans Pub, bookies/racing crowd during the day, good soup and sandwich |
    Hi-B| Pierse St | Oldish, thirties upwards, best barfood in town |
    The Kenyon| Kenyon St | Week-oldish, weekend- young, if you want a quiet lunchtime pint to relax it's where I would go|
    Dowlinz | Kenyon St | Youngish, good atmosphere, great lunchtime barfood |
    The Half Barrell| Pierse St | Youngish, tiny, kinda place you stop for shots on a pub crawl and then move on|
    Reddans/Forty Four | Pierse St | Oldish/mixed |
    Fogartys | Summerhill | Oldish crowd |
    Railway Bar | Kenyon St | Closed for the last decade lol :D used to be popular, why closed??? |
    Abbots Bar | Hotel, Dublin Rd | Oldish crowd, great staff, avoid if you want to watch sports| best in town, used to barman there :cool:
    The Well | Mitchell and Sarsfield St | Oldish/mixed | not a fan of the service in there |

Fair play Dave, I'll add some more later and sure we can all add to it :)
    Just keep working off the last one

Hi Lads,

Had to laugh at seeing Sextons on this list that place has been closed since the 80's, 'twas a real olde worlde type pub AFAIK the old house next door, the Garage at the rear of the premises and the pub shared an outside toilet.

However I did see a few chippies there yesterday putting a new front on the place.

Please correct spelling to Pearse St.

The railway bar closed because the property is owned by the creamery Co-op and they wanted to knock the premises to put a new entrance into the creamery, so AFAIK no one was allowed to lease it despite several people being interested.

Fogartys Summerhill is now Molly Bawns.

The Malt House is now under new ownership and has changed name too.

Dowlinz has been operating for the past few years as Chaplins and has now also closed AFAIK.( they used to have an open mic night on wednesdays and it generated large crowds) other publicans take note.

• Advertisement

Also, there was a pub with barfood across the road from AIB, just down from the credit union, that's gone now and I forget the name
    Did a great business in barfood and was a busy place, suprising if it's closed

If you want to go realy old skool does anyone remember the dangerous and ugly looking fuel store and coal merchant that used to be where the credit union is now?
    Ugh, bad times. They did a fantastic job with the credit union and JKCs, the brickwork looks realy well

The place you're thinking about is the Hibernian Inn known locally as The HI B great food and a nice welcoming atmosphere.

You'll still find the same welcome and equally good food its now run by Martin Morris and family.

I remember it as Slatterys

Just surprised it closed, it was doing good business from the times I was in there
    Great location

Slatterys was run by an older couple from ballywilliam area for most of its operating life. its actual name was the Gaelic Bar. Before they purchased the place in the late 70's it was owned by McGraths (I think their son is a teacher in the CBS, Frank McGrath nice teacher and made a big impression on me as a kid)

It was leased for a short period after Slatterys retired but AFAIK never did bar food

The list is there for everyone to edit but I've updated it now with that input

Hi-B| Pearse St | Oldish, thirties upwards, best barfood in town |
    Dowlinz/Chaplains | Kenyon St | Youngish, good atmosphere, great lunchtime barfood | possibly closed, can anyone confirm?|
    The Half Barrell| Pearse St | Youngish, tiny, kinda place you stop for shots on a pub crawl and then move on|
    Reddans/Forty Four | Pearse St | Oldish/mixed |
    Molly Bawns | Summerhill | Oldish crowd |
    Railway Bar | Kenyon St | Closed for the last decade lol :D Nenagh Co-op turning down lease offers, a shame |

Slatterys was run by an older couple from ballywilliam area for most of its operating life. its actual name was the Gaelic Bar. Before they purchased the place in the late 70's it was owned by McGraths (I think their son is a teacher in the CBS, Frank McGrath nice teacher and made a big impression on me as a kid)

It was leased for a short period after Slatterys retired but AFAIK never did bar food
    The place you're thinking about is the Hibernian Inn known locally as The HI B great food and a nice welcoming atmosphere.

You'll still find the same welcome and equally good food its now run by Martin Morris and family.

Oh I know the HI B alright, everyone does

I was posting about the pinking building here, right on the corner

That was a great spot a few years ago and they definitely did barfood

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod Note: Lads, keep the accusations about pubs selling to "under-agers" out of the lists. That's the kind of thing that could get people in trouble. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dm1388

Oh I know the HI B alright, everyone does

I was posting about the pinking building here, right on the corner

That was a great spot a few years ago and they definitely did barfood

that was the patrick sarsfield it was owned by martin morris who now owns the the hibernian inn (hi-b)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It was called the Patrick Sarsfield but was it not known as Slattery's as well?

There was definitely a Slattery's a few years ago - although that may have been Kenyon Street (was it The Kenyon?)

edit @mickemac, where is Rohan?

I think it's better known as Paddy Burke's
    Now I may be wrong with the name, not sure so I put the name that's on display on the building.
    Actually I'm kind of guessing with that name but Paddy something

Tiny pub, one of the smallest in town

It's on Sarsfield St, just up from Andy Flynns

Or another way to describe it is go to the street behind the post office and it's there

dm1388 wrote: »
    that was the patrick sarsfield it was owned by martin morris who now owns the the hibernian inn (hi-b)

It used to be Nolans back in the 70's, then it was run by micheal leo, after he retired someone else ran the płace. Then a man named hasset ran it. Then martin morris bought and changed the name to patrick sarsfields. He sold it to Tom walsh and he sold the licence and changed it into a retail outlet.

• Advertisement

I think it's better known as Paddy Burke's
    Now I may be wrong with the name, not sure so I put the name that's on display on the building.
    Actually I'm kind of guessing with that name but Paddy something

Tiny pub, one of the smallest in town

It's on Sarsfield St, just up from Andy Flynns

Or another way to describe it is go to the street behind the post office and it's there

Andy flynns was paddy burkes before andy bought and changed the name.

Advertisement