Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De Facto Relationships Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack09

erinice89 wrote: »
    well we didnt send in our individual bank accounts but if they want to we can, as we are more than financially able to look after ourselves.

"Partners who are not living together at the time of the Application will be required to give compelling reasons for this."

The thing is now that we filed our application we are living together. in fact we did write in saying we got an apartment solely for staying together.

Yes I know that alot of people have got rejected without those evidences despite having a long standing relationship.

Still, would you know how long they would take to give me an official reply?

Generally they will send receipt of the application in a week/two after it's received. About 5 months later we got a letter looking for updated info. Then 2 weeks later got the decision letter. So is was 6 months for us to get a decision.

Hopefully they will be okay with your situation, the only thing you'll need to address is there sentences:
    1. Please note it will still be necessary to show cohabitation for a full two year period but humanitarian situations will be considered.
    2. the couple must be able to show that they have been living together for at least two full years immediately prior to the date of application

Fingers crossed :)
    Once you have received the first letter you will be given an ID personal number which you can use to send updated info or emails

• Registered Users Posts: 11 erinice89

Yea this is the BIGGEST problem so far!

1. In Asia it is not common for unmarried couples to be staying together as its considered taboo.
    2. during my relationship my family broke up, my dad cheated on my mum and we caught him

I had to make sure my mum was ok (it was a marriage of over 30 years) so it was impossible to stay together fully. the best I did was to stay alternating days at my parents home and at my partners place.

I am writing a letter to highlight of this special circumstances, attached with my Mother's Private Inestigator report to show that im not pulling a fast one on them. I do hope they consider this as "humanitarian situations"

has anyone heard of anybody who had a 'humanitarian situation'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skiyass

I lodged an application with my partner in May and the acknowledgement letter we received stated that they were still going through cases received in November 2015! Don't give up

After how long you get your confirmation letter from INIS? I just put mine and i can remain here only 1 month((

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Guys we've been asked to show private medical insurance for my girlfriend, does travel insurance cover her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skiyass

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Guys we've been asked to show private medical insurance for my girlfriend, does travel insurance cover her?

For application i put my travel insurance and I've been asked too, so had to do private insurance for year.

• Advertisement

Well today has been a good day and it's only 9.30!

Less than two weeks after being asked for updated proofs and the med insurance we got our de facto acceptance letter in the post this morning.

Delighted!

Hang in there all of you who are still waiting for yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LJ25

Well today has been a good day and it's only 9.30!

Less than two weeks after being asked for updated proofs and the med insurance we got our de facto acceptance letter in the post this morning.

Delighted!

Hang in there all of you who are still waiting for yours!

We have sent our application today, fingers crossed and let's wait for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 treehanson

Skiyass wrote: »
    For application i put my travel insurance and I've been asked too, so had to do private insurance for year.

I'm the de facto applicant, currently in Ireland with travel insurance. Will I need to obtain private insurance, or just my (Irish) sponsor?

treehanson wrote: »
    I'm the de facto applicant, currently in Ireland with travel insurance. Will I need to obtain private insurance, or just my (Irish) sponsor?

You will need private medical (travel) insurance, not your Irish partner. My gf got hers for about 400$ which was accepted by INIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sabina1

Dont think there is a limit, but after 5 years your partner will be able to apply for a permanent residency visa.

Hi there I want to go put my de facto case any one knows actually what strong avoidance we need it
    I've already many prove but just for more good information before submitting my case..
    My girlfriend from Poland and she working in hospital last 5 years we are living together and I've one years WhatsApp all history screenshots we have joint account here in Ireland I've bills on my name and have a lots of pictures I've traveling tickets hotel booking our names

• Advertisement

Sabina1 wrote: »
    Hi there I want to go put my de facto case any one knows actually what strong avoidance we need it
    I've already many prove but just for more good information before submitting my case..
    My girlfriend from Poland and she working in hospital last 5 years we are living together and I've one years WhatsApp all history screenshots we have joint account here in Ireland I've bills on my name and have a lots of pictures I've traveling tickets hotel booking our names

Pretty confusing post Sabina1. I'm guessing you are non-EU while your girlfriend is Polish? There are many proofs that are accepted by INIS - bills with both names, bankstatements, rent book etc. You need to fill out the new De Facto Relationship form which you find on the INIS website ( I sent my application in a few days before the form was released).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mrtncrrll

Hi All,

Myself (Irish) and my partner have submitted the De-facto application for a visa. We met almost all the requirements listed on the website as we lived together over 2 years with both names on the tenancy agreement and had joint bank account etc.. the issue we had is that we applied after her study permission expired and was only present as a visitor (90days non-visa required) and she now is no longer in the country.

Does anyone know if its possible to get the permission while the applicant is no longer in Ireland and then enter to get the stamp if successful, or has anyone had a similar circumstances ? Any advice appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marksyno

Hey guys, quick question. Myself and my gf are going to apply for the de facto relationship visa, she's currently here in Ireland and her current student visa is up in September. We want to get the de facto application in in the next few weeks and I know the process can take some months. Will my gf be able to return home (US Citizen) while we wait for an answer then return here if we are successful? She can't afford not to be working after september.

Any help would be great,

Hi,

I am currently in the same situation and wondering how things worked out for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 catclark123

marksyno wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently in the same situation and wondering how things worked out for you ?

Hi- I am in the exact same situation. How did you resolve it? Any and all guidance is appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leesacrow

erinice89 wrote: »
    Hey Jack,

no.We dont have any financial evidence the bank transfer that we did to each other has to be dug out and printed in the singapore bank. It is not common for couples to be staying together before marriage as well, given that Singapore is still quite conservative

my partner moved back to Ireland in September 2015 as she secured a job. I recently came here to apply for the de facto partnership.

I want to know what are my chances given that we dont have cohabitation proof, but everything else, travelling together etc. and that we are actually renting our own small apartment
    Hi. i'm in a similar situation to you in relation to inability too prove living together. Just wondering how it worked out for you?

marksyno wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi- I am in the exact same situation. How did you resolve it? Any and all guidance is appreciated!!

Hey both,

We got the application in and she was able to remain in Ireland until it was processed. I think in all it took 6 months or so (it's over 3 years since we applied). Thankfully we were granted the De Facto and have renewed on a number of occasions. It was due for renewal in April of 2020 but with Covid19 the visa has been extended on two separate occasions. I think the application process has changed since we applied so there could be someone in a better position to clear up any questions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Craig_David

Has anyone went through the process in the past year?
    How long did it all take after submitting the application?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rachel W1

Has anyone went through the process in the past year?
    How long did it all take after submitting the application?

thanks
    Hi,

Me and my partner just went through this process, my partner is Canadian I’m Irish. We submitted our application in December 2020, we heard nothing until start of May 2021 asking for more documents such as updated bank statements as they had now been out of the 6 month scope needed to apply. Soon after that we received our letter granting us the visa. Still need to register for stamp 4 but i believe the hard part is now over. My partner was here on the Working Holiday Visa initially. If you have any questions I’m happy to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mer12

Hi, me (Non-eu) and my partner (Irish) applied for DeFacto visa around 2 weeks ago. My student visa expires in 2 months. Did anyone have the same problem and still got the visa? Or there's any chance to get stamp 3 in between this period to be able to go abroad and come back.

Thanks

Thanks for the info

Did you require a solicitor to assist with the process?

Post edited by Craig_David on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Mer12

Hi, just to update everyone here, I recently got my DeFacto visa. I prepared documents myself and just got the solicitor to sign it before submitting as it's required. A few weeks later I got a letter showing my app reference number and the date it was received. The waiting process after that took 5 and a half months, then we received a letter to submit updated bank statements and bills. It also took around 2 weeks to get the last letter that was saying I was granted to the visa. Then later booked an online appointment from the immigration office in Dublin and went there with my partner. Just after a week I received the residence permit card.

Hope everyone's application will go smoothly :)

Cheers for the update.

We submitted our application early February and received the acknowledgement a few weeks after that. Guess we wont hear anything further for a few months.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miladoll

my advise is to really be patient which was the hardest as the uncertainty makes you listless. Once you have submitted the documents and have the application signed by a solicitor and received your app #, some receive within 2weeks but the truth is , it honestly takes 5-6months nothing you can do, say , email nothing can change that. My advise will be spend time together and if your partner wishes to keep busy doing volunteering community or arts refurbishing or meeting groups - try the meet up app, or hobbies gym swimming because those 5-6 months will drive you nuts it is a true test of both of you and it can make ye stronger hang in there. You can celebrate in August cheers . The system is overloaded and understandably so covid and war just messy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Hi all,

In the process of printing documents for our application at the moment. Have all of the main documents done and are now onto the more personal information (birthday/valentine's/anniversary cards, Airbnb receipts from trips away, photos etc). We also have an export of our WhatsApp chat. Do I need to print it all off? Its like 700 pages long! Surely that's not necessary?

Thanks,

G

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Miladoll

Hallo

My case was quite complex and long process but I am happy to share I was granted.

This process will challenge you and I know what it feel like , so I am happy to answer questions as best as I can jiunelson@gmail.com .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 user020892

Hi All,

Has anyone recently changed their existing residency permission to defacto partner permission of a CSEP holder? How long did the process take? I am changing my existing Stamp 1G permission to a defacto visa as my partner is a CSEP holder. And I can see that the processing time mentioned on the INIS website is 6-12 months, but the local immigration officer said, these types of applications are unique and would not take long. Has anyone gone through the process here recently? How long did it take?

Just as a way of an update. Myself and my partner are still waiting to hear back from immigration on our defacto application. We sent it in at the start of August 22 and their recent correspondence to us says the are currently dealing with applications from May 2022.

So looks like 9 months plus is now a safer estimate for everyone instead of the 6 to 9 months on the website. Disappointing is an understatement. Surely this department needs more resources...

Got a letter in from dept of justice today which says that "as an exceptional measure" they are granting a 12 month stamp 4 under defacto for my partner and I. Guess they're trying to clear the backlog with these "exceptional" 12 month visas. So we're coming on 9 months from when we first sent in our pack and based on the replies to the emails we were sending them looking for updates, the current time frame is about 12 months for your case to be reviewed.

They didn't ask us for any additional information over and above our first pack so not even sure if they looked at it in any great detail.

Happy to get this out of the way though. Has been an incredibly stressful process. Give yourselves 12 months plus for this process!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Why don't ye just get married and ye would avoid all this bullshít.

Now I must be clear, I am saying "get married" not "have a wedding". Getting married takes 30 minutes in a registry office and does not cost anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 user020892

Congrats to both of you!...and thank you for replying. I recently heard about this exceptional circumstances through an immigration officer. They said if the defacto sponsor is inching closer to Stamp 4, Naturalisation, or is already on Stamp 4, the defacto partner will get Stamp 4. Is this true in your case?

By the way, I enquired in Feb, they said May 22 to me too. Our local immigration officer advised us not to bother them too much about the status update, because the reviewing officer may get frustrated and push the file back. However, they also said that the defacto unit doesn't have too much load, especially in our type of application (viz. changing Stamp 1G status to defacto), so the process is quick, I am not sure about yours. But getting the same replies on the email as you, I doubt the officer.

Again, hugely appreciate your reply.

Advertisement