Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For Americans who want to move to Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wd_dennis

What is a man and wife and two children wanted to move there and open a buisness like a pub or eatery

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Shawn the Mick

.....I have heard that things have changed with regards to American's being able to stay beyond 3 months. From what I've read before finding this thread, if you planned on staying past 3 months then you would need some sort of visa (student, etc.) no matter what your financial situation is.

I work over the internet and will be able to show enough to not be a burden on the state. I have insurance, etc. etc. Could I just show up, have a pleasant meeting with the Immigration Officer, show whatever paperwork, and stay (with yearly renewals and such) ?

Really hoping this is the case because everything else seems to be quite the pain. And shipping my furniture over is going to be costly so I'd like to stick around for a bit. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ogfeen

Hi everyone
    Im hoping that some can help me out on finding the exact info I need.
    I am an Irish citizen and met my Girlfriend while working in Australia, (she is an american citizen). we are currently in America but plan on moving to Ireland to live in our family home and settle there. we have been together for about 22 months now and hope to be back in Ireland for Christmas. we have some evidence of the relationship like photos from over the 2 year period in various locations around the world, our passports are stamped on the same dates entering different countries etc but have no joint bank account or bills. I would like for her to have the right to work if possible, but we are not engaged. I believe that we both may have to show money in accounts. how much do we need to show? etc. any help appreciated. Thankyou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GreenGables

I'm a Canadian living in Canada and am wondering what type of medical professions are needed/wanted in Ireland. I would like to move there after my studies here are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 arialburnz

Not sure if this thread is still being viewed or maintained. Hopefully someone will answer this question. I'm noticing the last item posted was August of 2013 - over a year ago - so I'm assuming some things have changed.

HERE'S OUR SITUATION
    My husband and I are both US Citizens living in California. I'm an author and I get my income almost exclusively via the Internet. I can literally work anywhere there is an internet connection. I bank online. I earn money online. We want to move to Ireland. We want to rent when we get there so we have the ability to shop around and find a house we want to buy OR property we can build on. If we have to rent for a year or two to do that, that's okay. Ideally, we want to live in the country, away from a lot of settlement. We're looking for peace and quiet, BUT not so rural we don't have quality internet. Obviously, I NEED the internet to keep making money.

WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR US TO MOVE?
    One post in this thread mentions a similar situation (someone had a business presences in the US). The response was...
    BEAT wrote: »
    Absolutley, as long as you can fund your stay you can live anywhere...its when you want to try and find work In Ireland and must gain citizenship status for that when you will have trouble.
    Anyone with money in thier pockets already is welcome.

Is this still the case? From a few things I've glanced over on the internet - and it's difficult to tell what's current or outdated - it's NOT that easy. I certainly hope it IS that easy because that would be perfect! We are toying with the idea of giving up our US Citizenship, but we're not educated enough on the pros and cons to make that decision right now. We thought we would wait until we got over before we made that decision.

WHEN WE WOULD LIKE TO MOVE
    We're targeting 2018. We actually plan on moving to Washington State first (no later than 2017) and staying there a minimum of six months to establish residency so we don't have to pay California State taxes while we're living abroad. Once we meet that six-month min. requirement, we'd love to tour around the US before we move to Ireland.

Are we setting ourselves up for failure? Is this a pipe dream? Or is this very do-able?

Thank you for any input or guidance on what we would need to make this happen - visas, work permits (even though we're not looking for a job in Ireland), yadda yadda.

THANK YOU!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 I DreamOfIreland

BEAT wrote: »
    I got a pm recently asking me how to do this, they had heard about me moving to Dublin and wanted some help.
    I have had these questions before so I thought Id post up my advice and sticky it in case anyone else comes to boards looking for help.

Step #1 is the most important thing, if you can complete step#1 successfully then you will have nothing else to worry about...at all.
    Having said that, it is the hardest thing to do and you will see why here.

You must secure a job before moving there. If you go there in an attempt to find work you had better have a load of money stashed first.

To find work you need one of the following:

A work visa, can only be obtained for the following professions:
    Architect
    Medical profession
    IT professional

A legal citizenship status, by marriage or by default from your parents or grandparent having been born there. They will only go as far back as your Grandparent and you have to show their birth certificate then apply for citizenship.

Student visa, you apply for this ahead of time and must be in school 20-30 hrs / week then you will be granted a student/work visa.

A work permit,
    this is for everyone else. The only thing is you cant get one unless you know someone very important. I got nearly 200 declinations and they all said I was what they were looking for but couldn't hire me because I'm not part of the EU. You can only get a work permit if an employer hires you and applies for one for you, that employer must show reason on that application to the govt why you, an american... are more qualified for the position than an Irish citizen or someone who is part of the EU.
    More than likely it isn't going to happen. I tried for over 2 years.

Now, if you have family that lives there you may luck out
    I don't want to discourage you at all but as you can see its no easy task.
    Unless you have loads of money and can live there for 5 years without working (which will gain you citizenship) you'l need to do one of the above to be able to work and live in Ireland legally.

If you get a pub/waiting job and are paid under the table that is cool but don't get caught or you will be deported and never again allowed to return.

I did extensive research and the only way I could get to stay was to get married, the only catch to that was in Ireland you cant get divorced for 5 years! so needless to say I came home even though I found someone who was willing to do it.

Good luck, and let me know how you get on!

I'm hoping to move to Ireland to get eventual citizenship for my daughter and I and be able to contribute and help in Ireland in any way I can. (My daughter has no father on her birth certificate) I'm hoping to move with enough savings to be self sufficient and support my daughter and I for 5 years without assistance. Any idea how much I should save? I can figure out the shipping cost myself as I only know how much I will be brining. (shipping as little as possible and selling the rest) Also would prefer to live in a small town and get a inexpensive car and get around that way. Also if I'm able to move being self sufficient if there is anywhere I could volunteer and help where I can bring my daughter with I would love to help. (I'm a american)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 I DreamOfIreland

I hope to move to Ireland on day with my daughter. (She is 18 months old now) Is it true you can move as long as you can support yourself and your child for 5 years? If so I will need to figure out how much to save first plus have extra for just in case so I don't run out of money. I'm going to university to become a nurse and while I'm saving to move abroad. Forgot to say I'm american.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You need to figure out what category you fall into. You can't just land and you get a visa right away. You'll be given a 3 month stamp at the airport. Will you have a job lined up when you finish your studies? Are you hoping to own or rent a home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ajohnson083

Hi,

My girlfriend moved over to Ireland about 2 years ago as a student and has since gotten a graduate visa.

She is now working here full time and wants to stay on by getting a work permit. However, the requirements for her to stay means she has to earn over a certain amount.

Does anyone know if there is a way around this? I'm assuming that as long as she can prove she can support herself financially here without being a burden on the state then she should be fine.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before and could share some advice?

Advertisement