Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar setup & service

• 06-07-2020 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

I have a 20 yr old Gibson LP Special that needs a full set-up and probably some repairs. I'm no expert but the action seems wrong, tuning doesn't hold in the high frets, pickups are loose, rhythm & treble switch seem to be reversed.

It's a fantastic guitar, so smooth and playable, so I'd happily pay the right money to get it back to top notch.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have for who can do a quality job and not rip me off. I'm based in north Dublin so anywhere in Dublin area is fine.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Contact Niall in The Music Outlet in Swords., they'll do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Haze guitars. Or you can go on his website and for a reasonable small fee download his books on how to do it yourself!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Haze guitars. Or you can go on his website and for a reasonable small fee download his books on how to do it yourself!

A thousand times this. Gerry is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kkerr

thanks guys, Haze are unfortunately closed indefinitely.
    I'll try the place in Swords.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

feylya wrote: »
    A thousand times this. Gerry is the man.

Gerry is indeed the man! I was going to recommend him or John Moriarty at Archtop.ie, both excellent guys, but since the op is north country Dublin Swords seemed a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Some neck guitars do an excellent job.

There's also this spot which looks excellent but I have no first hand experience with them
    https://www.facebook.com/TheGuitarWorkshop

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

Hi, Frank Tate in Capel St. D1 is my favourite expert for guitars. www.franktateinstruments.com or facebook franktateinstruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Lads, can you give a rough estimate of how much Gerry at Haze might charge for a basic set-up?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Nothing at the moment - he's shut due to covid https://hazeguitars.com/blog/haze-guitars-status-update Depends on what needs to be done, but I think it's €50-100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I had my bass set up by this guy. Did a great job at a fair price. He is in Rathfarnham.

https://www.facebook.com/MichalLangnerGuitarService

• Advertisement
Advertisement