Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New businesses

Options
  • 09-07-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭

So, The green Shoots are apparently all over the shop by now. So I though I might start a thread on new businesses, restaurants, shops etc that are opening or proposed in Mayo.

I am nosey about these things, so thought here would be a good spot for some rumour, gossip and perhaps the occasional fact.

I can only really speak for the Castlebar area, but feel free to share about the other towns etc.

Anyway some I am aware of

Breaffy business park, 'Home store and more' is going in to the old Right price Tiles and Toy Master Units - Under Construction

KFC apparently going in beside McDonalds, This has been about for a while, but I know that the proposed developer has been in to local businesse to discuss foot fall etc. who knows

McCarthys Bar is to be developed as a larger 'Gastro Pub' by a well known local family. this is under construction, but going seems slow.

Next door to McCarthys there is a planning proposal by the Council to develop 'Bolgers lane' with shops, market stalls and bring the greenway through. should happen

Across the road the old Uppercrust shop and bakery is Sale Agreed to developers who are proposing to build, restaurants and retail, residential along the river with a boardwalk over the river carrying the legendary greenway. planning soon I believe.

That will do for now, any other news for me?

BTW. I know there are plenty closing too, that's for another thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It will be fun to see how many of these actually come to fruition, Main Street is in dire straits and has been for quite some time, along with most of the town, hopefully it can get some much needed rejuvenation before the stagnation becomes irreversible, although noticed the town was very busy today.

Was away for the heart of Castlebar festival, did it drum up a crowd, saw some pictures of the live music on main street and it looked quite sparse crowd wise, could of just been the angles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Wasn't something supposed to be happening in the homebase building as well.

The IDA are building an office in the IT park as well.

I heard rumours of cathal duffys showroom being converted to a larger shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

TK Maxx are going into the old Homebase beside Next. I think they are only taking a little over half the unit. I think they want to be in and open before Christmas.

The Upper Crust development is fairly big. Two storey restaurant, offices, penthouse apartment, retail units. Very early stages though and it could change a lot or even get shelved.

Castlebar Credit Union is almost doubling in size. They got planning and it's due to start on site in the next 2-3 weeks.

I believe the council own the building beside McCarthy's Bar along the lane and want to demolish it to enhance the lane as you mentioned. The problem is the party wall they share with McCarthys bar. I don't know but would guess you'd have to rebuild it which would mean major work to McCarthys bar and the reason they are refurbishing. I'd say that's what's causing the delay. It's messy trying to work out who's responsible for what and who pays for what.

I don't think the KFC thing will ever happen.

Cathal Duffy's lost the Opel dealership about 3 months ago. They have hardly any cars now so not surprised something is happening.

Heart of Castlebar festival was very poor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dudda wrote: »
    TK Maxx are going into the old Homebase beside Next. I think they are only taking a little over half the unit. I think they want to be in and open before Christmas.

The Upper Crust development is fairly big. Two storey restaurant, offices, penthouse apartment, retail units. Very early stages though and it could change a lot or even get shelved.

Castlebar Credit Union is almost doubling in size. They got planning and it's due to start on site in the next 2-3 weeks.

I believe the council own the building beside McCarthy's Bar along the lane and want to demolish it to enhance the lane as you mentioned. The problem is the party wall they share with McCarthys bar. I don't know but would guess you'd have to rebuild it which would mean major work to McCarthys bar and the reason they are refurbishing. I'd say that's what's causing the delay. It's messy trying to work out who's responsible for what and who pays for what.

I don't think the KFC thing will ever happen.

Cathal Duffy's lost the Opel dealership about 3 months ago. They have hardly any cars now so not surprised something is happening.

Heart of Castlebar festival was very poor.
    Wow, sad to hear that, been a feature of Cbar for years. They all need their flashy show rooms now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

yop wrote: »
    Wow, sad to hear that, been a feature of Cbar for years. They all need their flashy show rooms now.

Sorry to hear that Duffys lost Opel agency.
    Cathal and Mick D served their time in Breheny's Westport.
    The Duffy lads were hard workers
    Cathal and Mick started in business in Westport 60+ years ago,
    Cathal later moved to Castlebar. Sold thousands of VW 1200.
    Their younger brother Jimmy opened in Knockrooskey. Still going strong there with his sons.
    I hope they can get an agency to continue in Castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I believe the Duffy's looked at the investment needed to keep the Opel Dealership (Building a big shiny showroom) and decided to give up the Dealership.

The KFC thing has been popping up for a long time alright, we'll see.

The Uppercrust development is large and is as has been said in early stages. There is good financial backing for it though, so hopefully it will happen.

Judging by the piles of rubble out back there cant be many walls left in McCarthys to knock!

Dudda, Where are you getting your info on TK Maxx?

The two buildings on main street beside rowlands Pharmacy have sold signs on them now too. any info on what is happening there?

In Westport, Work has started beside the town hall in PJ Clarkes old shop. a new restaurant i think

Xenji wrote: »
    It will be fun to see how many of these actually come to fruition, Main Street is in dire straits and has been for quite some time, along with most of the town, hopefully it can get some much needed rejuvenation before the stagnation becomes irreversible, although noticed the town was very busy today.

Was away for the heart of Castlebar festival, did it drum up a crowd, saw some pictures of the live music on main street and it looked quite sparse crowd wise, could of just been the angles though.

Heart of Castlebar was very poor this year. its the usual thing. come up with a good idea and just repeat it again and again, without developing it until it dies a death. only half the stalls of previous years.

The vintage show consisted of an 86 golf and a couple of tractors which i would say are till working on the farm. they eventually just pulled them in to the top of Main street and opened Castle street to traffic. heard a few of the bands didnt even show up for the music in the evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

And ironically my missus place in Westport left off 15 people since xmas and not a dicky bird about it. And not one sign of a right job in her area since. Its depressing listening to the amount of jobs been created in the East and we seem to get nothing down here. Even Galway is thriving.

yop wrote: »
    And ironically my missus place in Westport left off 15 people since xmas and not a dicky bird about it. And not one sign of a right job in her area since. Its depressing listening to the amount of jobs been created in the East and we seem to get nothing down here. Even Galway is thriving.

Getting bored of it. My need the press getting on to the powers that be. I even have a headline, "Mayo missing jobs" as none of the jobs announced have actually been filled. I can't wait for door to door time soon and I'll have my figures ready.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Getting bored of it. My need the press getting on to the powers that be. I even have a headline, "Mayo missing jobs" as none of the jobs announced have actually been filled. I can't wait for door to door time soon and I'll have my figures ready.

The minute they were in the Dáil they forgot about us. They would tell you they will jump of a roof to get your vote. There has been a lot of jobs gone since Xmas, yet barely a word. But Inda was down there opening a bloody pub in the last month!

• Advertisement

I hear a rumour that the castle bookshop is moving up to main street. don't know if it's supposed to be a second shop or a relocation, probably the latter. its a tough business to be in these days, especially for independants

I hear a rumour that the castle bookshop is moving up to main street. don't know if it's supposed to be a second shop or a relocation, probably the latter. its a tough business to be in these days, especially for independants

They are a bit out of the way down there. Could be a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Isn't Starbucks suppose to be coming, near Shaw's i think.

Thing about castlebar is that it's terribly laid out. Main street has seen 1000s pumped in to it but not one decent unit on it, even size wise,

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Imo and i know from my circles galway has never taken off with shopping, most people choosing Dublin.

Great opportunity for Castlebar, but we're not taking it.

P_Cash wrote: »
    Isn't Starbucks suppose to be coming, near Shaw's i think.

Thing about castlebar is that it's terribly laid out. Main street has seen 1000s pumped in to it but not one decent unit on it, even size wise,

The Starbucks planning application was withdrawn by Islandeady properties shortly after they submitted it. I doubt Starbucks ever new anything about that plan.

P_Cash wrote: »
    Imo and i know from my circles galway has never taken off with shopping, most people choosing Dublin.

Great opportunity for Castlebar, but we're not taking it.

Cannot agree with you on that. There has been a massive increase in volume and diversity of retail area in Galway since e.g.1960.

I recall the controversery over the Dunnes' led centre on Headford Road which was getting going about then. There were views that it would wipe out retail trade in the centre of Galway. Since then there have been a plethora of shopping centres in and immediately around Galway. They pull in many shoppers from rest of Co Galway, Clare, Mayo and even further afield.

Yes you will always hear people boasting that they have to go Dublin to get the right handbag or whatever. You will also hear a certain type of D4 person saying they have to go to London, Paris or New York. Again for some reason it is for a handbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

nuac wrote: »
    Cannot agree with you on that. There has been a massive increase in volume and diversity of retail area in Galway since e.g.1960.

I recall the controversery over the Dunnes' led centre on Headford Road which was getting going about then. There were views that it would wipe out retail trade in the centre of Galway. Since then there have been a plethora of shopping centres in and immediately around Galway. They pull in many shoppers from rest of Co Galway, Clare, Mayo and even further afield.

Yes you will always hear people boasting that they have to go Dublin to get the right handbag or whatever. You will also hear a certain type of D4 person saying they have to go to London, Paris or New York. Again for some reason it is for a handbag!

I'm obviously mingling in the wrong circles...I thought those days of jetting to London for a handbag were over!

Any word on MacDonalds & Ballina?

What impact will TK Maxx etc have on locally owned, independent businesses?

finisklin wrote: »
    I'm obviously mingling in the wrong circles...I thought those days of jetting to London for a handbag were over!

Any word on MacDonalds & Ballina?

What impact will TK Maxx etc have on locally owned, independent businesses?

Is it actually coming though, it has been touted since 2009, that idiot who setup the Facebook page surely did not help the cause either claiming it was a done deal and being able to secure people jobs among other things.

Is it actually coming though, it has been touted since 2009, that idiot who setup the Facebook page surely did not help the cause either claiming it was a done deal and being able to secure people jobs among other things.

Ah stop he was entertaining, soon put in his box though when he didn't get elected.

Petals, a new Beauticians Salon going in to the old Hynzy's unit on Hopkins road. How many Beauticians does one town need you may ask, either way it's nice to see the unit being filled after a long vacancy. best of luck to them.

• Advertisement

Petals, a new Beauticians Salon going in to the old Hynzy's unit on Hopkins road. How many Beauticians does one town need you may ask, either way it's nice to see the unit being filled after a long vacancy. best of luck to them.

How many pharmacy does a town need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Does a county the size of Mayo need 22 supermarkets ? (Tesco 6,Aldi 2,Dunnes 3,Lidl 3 Supervalu 8 )

Shelflife wrote: »
    Does a county the size of Mayo need 22 supermarkets ? (Tesco 6,Aldi 2,Dunnes 3,Lidl 3 Supervalu 8 )

it baffles me how they all make it pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The size of Mayo (2000+ square miles) - probably.

Interesting discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Agree size wise its not a big number, but to service a population of €130k thats a lot of shops for a small population.

less than 6000 per supermarket.

Its a serious overkill in this county, you would wonder why they keep giving planning permission for things we dont need.

Tesco have been hit hard, seem to have let go quite a few staff in the last 6 months, while Aldi and Lidl seem to be always looking for more staff and always seem very busy, Dunnes is like a ghost town at times, have not set foot in Supervalue in about 10 years, so do not know how they stand compared to the others in town.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Agree size wise its not a big number, but to service a population of €130k thats a lot of shops for a small population.

less than 6000 per supermarket.

Its a serious overkill in this county, you would wonder why they keep giving planning permission for things we dont need.

Doubt if a planning authority could refuse an application just for that reason.

They may if they could cite planning reasons such a planning, parking etc

Didn't they just grant planning for a Second Lidl in Ballina. whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Didn't they just grant planning for a Second Lidl in Ballina. whats that about?

More central location, makes it more competitive I imagine. The old one will probably close some way down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Tesco have been hit hard, seem to have let go quite a few staff in the last 6 months, while Aldi and Lidl seem to be always looking for more staff and always seem very busy, Dunnes is like a ghost town at times, have not set foot in Supervalue in about 10 years, so do not know how they stand compared to the others in town.

I was in Castlebar recently for a visit and had occasion to stop into Supervalue a number of times. Always seemed to have a decent enough crowd in there. Anecdotally, I heard that they have a loyal following down that end of town (which has tons of estates compared to a few years ago). I don't know if they still do it, but they had home delivery too which was an added bonus for the more elderly clientelle

Advertisement