Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Business openings and closures around you?

• 15-12-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lets see what damage the recession is doing or if many new businesses have managed to open during these hard times.
    New openings of businesses around you, closures of businesses around you?
    New openings I saw recently-
    Mini golf dundrum,
    pandora dundrum,
    gourmet grill Rathmines,
    mr.simms sweet shop opening rathmines soon.
    calendar club nutgrove,
    mr bs arcade nutgrove,
    trespass nutgrove,
    dwarka indian takeaway rathmines,
    paco nutgrove,
    3 store nutgrove,
    macari fish and chips, braemor
    smiles dental dundrum
    new restaurant to open in dundrum soon.
    kids charity shop in dundrum
    best barber shop,dundrum

closures
    pizza hut rathgar
    spar rathgar
    chinese takeaway rathgar
    gamestop rathmines
    zumo swan centre,

all i can think of for now, whats happening around you.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Noticed tonight that the old Centra at the top of Rathmines Road (at the corner near O'Briens off-licence) is going to be a Tesco Express!

Absolute madness as they have a store 500 yards (if that) down the road.

Are they trying to put all the small shops up there out of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

dubscottie wrote: »
    Noticed tonight that the old Centra at the top of Rathmines Road (at the corner near O'Briens off-licence) is going to be a Tesco Express!

Absolute madness as they have a store 500 yards (if that) down the road.

Are they trying to put all the small shops up there out of business?

Interesting to see that the Spar on Rathgar road (the other end of Frankfort from where Centra was) went at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 diff357

Also, Spar on Forsters Avenue, just after Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

diff357 wrote: »
    Also, Spar on Forsters Avenue, just after Christmas

They had problems for quite some time as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The takeaway on the Rock Road at the end of Booterstown Avenue was closed when I passed by recently on a Friday evening. We used to go there on occasion (and before when it was an Italian) when we lived nearby. It was handy because there aren't too many places nearby that you could walk to apart from the pubs in the Booterstown area, although I gather that most of the business was takeaway rather than sit down.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

zagmund wrote: »
    The takeaway on the Rock Road at the end of Booterstown Avenue was closed when I passed by recently on a Friday evening. We used to go there on occasion (and before when it was an Italian) when we lived nearby. It was handy because there aren't too many places nearby that you could walk to apart from the pubs in the Booterstown area, although I gather that most of the business was takeaway rather than sit down.
    Don't think the closure was recession-related, but more to do with the Food Safety Authority:

http://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/four_enforcement_orders_served_in_January/08/02/2012.html

On the positive side, I've noticed a few new shops in Blackrock recently. An interesting design store called Lost Weekend, and a new wine shop where Oddbins used to be located.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Dalkey bookshop closes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Interesting about Jai Ho - thanks for that.

The missus loves Lost Weekend. She could spend hours in there, whereas I could only survive there for a few minutes due to the prices making my eyes water. I don't know how official it is, but they have a commercial coffee machine (like, a good one) down the back and can magic up a great cup of coffee while you are there. It makes a change from the usual cafes and the view out the back window is hard to beat.

I meant to comment about the new off licence there too - I saw them getting stock ready a few weeks back, and we got a flyer in the door this week saying they are open. I'll drop in today and see how it's going.

Now that I think about it, the Chinese & Italian places at the crossroads there in the middle of Blackrock have changed places. The Italian is now open from (I think) 1200 till (I think) 2200 for takeaway or sit down. Because they are linked to the chipper next door you can actually get a good mix of stuff there - fish and chips for one, pizza/pasta/etc . . . for the other. We've dropped in a few times now - it's very handy.

z

Don't think the closure was recession-related, but more to do with the Food Safety Authority:

http://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/press_releases/four_enforcement_orders_served_in_January/08/02/2012.html

On the positive side, I've noticed a few new shops in Blackrock recently. An interesting design store called Lost Weekend, and a new wine shop where Oddbins used to be located.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

zagmund wrote: »
    I don't know how official it is, but they have a commercial coffee machine (like, a good one) down the back and can magic up a great cup of coffee while you are there. It makes a change from the usual cafes and the view out the back window is hard to beat.
    Thanks for the tip, didn't spot the coffee machine. I liked the furniture on my first and only visit there, but was even more taken by the superb sea views. I'd happily stand there with a coffee for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Flanagan's of Buncrana outlet in Mount Merrion.... gone.

Juice bar in St Vincents Hospital... gone, replaced by another coffee shop making three on main floor.

• Advertisement

Imginarium on Georges st is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

TGI Fridays and the Dante restuarant are both gone from the old Playwright site on Newtownpark Avenue if anyone didn't know.

New coffee shop called Siopa agus Cuppa has opened up in Blackrock in the Ardagh Estate, think it was mentioned on the George Hook show. It has some of the best coffee I've ever tasted and the nicest owners going. It's also very cheap-Americano for 1.50, pretty decent in the price stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

TGI Fridays and the Dante restuarant are both gone from the old Playwright site on Newtownpark Avenue if anyone didn't know.

Long gone - planning for convenience supermarket being sought (Tesco express probably)

New Lidl in Nutgrove located behind/alongside the firestation is due to open on May 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In dun laoghaire closed
    country cellar (health food shop on patricks street)
    Knowles electric (near library)
    Lido Cafe (chipper just off main street)

All these were there as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

The one I was surprised to see closed the Spar in Rathmines beside Military road, I think it was one of the first 24 hour shops in the country it is right beside ST Marys College.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Luckycharm wrote: »
    The one I was surprised to see closed the Spar in Rathmines beside Military road, I think it was one of the first 24 hour shops in the country it is right beside ST Marys College.

Yeah, I remember my brother being sent down to buy Paracetemol for me one Christmas night - about 1981 I think. He was amazed to see other people waiting in the 30 minute queue to buy two packets of crisps.

New Costa Coffee outlet located just inside the Ormonde Cinema in Stillorgan. Handy if you are over that side of the road or meeting someone for pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nosh has gone from Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Speaking of Dalkey, I just heard that an Eddie Rockets is rumored to be opening up where Don Giovanni's (and briefly Pecorino) used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Speaking of Dalkey, I just heard that an Eddie Rockets is rumored to be opening up where Don Giovanni's (and briefly Pecorino) used to be.

I hope they don't best thing about Dalkey is lack of chains, excl Eurospar.

Friarsland Gym and nearby UCD Crunch Fitness are closed.

Good old Dons, my Favourite spot for many years. I hope Rockets is just a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Good old Dons, my Favourite spot for many years. I hope Rockets is just a rumour.

Unfortunately I cant say the same about Dons. i ate there 4 times, each time was brutal. Im not surprised its gone.

I highly doubt that Eddie Rockets will open up, sure the hassle the other shop owners gave Starbucks was unreal. They drove them out of Dalkey. ER will never open up there..........."ruins the look and feel of our quaint picturesque village"....as quoted to me by a shop owner about SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I guess only time will tell. At the moment it is just here-say. Another rumor going around is that "Don's" might be turned into a bistro. Having said that, I do find it a tad unnecessary to be discouraging chains in Dalkey given that it already has Topaz, Eurospar* and Paddy Power's.

Most of the resistance towards Starbucks was motivated by xenophobia towards the US which negates the credibility of such resistance. Using the village's heritage as a smoke screen or excuse for xenophobia paints a very backward picture of Ireland.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. The Bedroom Studio is closing down while Nosh ceased trading a few days ago. The confectionery shop beside The Post Office has been closed for a while and also The Castle Chinese Restaurant (formerly 7/11).

The Book Exchange in Dalkey has been closed for nearly a month now. In my opinion, this is a golden opportunity for a much needed expansion for The Country Bake given that it is right next door.

Contrary to what many people may believe, the Library in Dalkey as well as those in many other parts of the Dun Laoghaire borough are closed for refurbishment NOT for good. Terrible timing given that Junior and Leaving Certs are around the corner as well as many college exams.

*: Eurospar is currently undergoing a massive expansion project which will involve a radical change to the layout. At the moment, the former Gemma's Newsagent is being gutted so that it can be merged with Eurospar.

Starbucks isn't nice and its not down to xenophobia, its down to people supporting the charm and quaintness of sole traders and encouraging local buisness. Every main street in Europe are now clones and offer no character. Small villages like dalkey need to.keep their USP. If they lose that then they will lose a lot of business. I for one enjoy nothing better than relaxing in the queens, select stores, the tramyard or mugs. If they were chains I'd have no reason to go to dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

benwavner wrote: »
    "ruins the look and feel of our quaint picturesque village"..
    They can have more discreet setups.

Like starbucks blackrock
    DSCN16316.jpg

McDonalds in bray
    IMG_8663.JPG

I wouldn't mind a discreet eddie rockets, esp. if it got a beer licence like a few seem to have gotten, probably more likely to get one in dalkey too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I guess only time will tell. At the moment it is just here-say. Another rumor going around is that "Don's" might be turned into a bistro. Having said that, I do find it a tad unnecessary to be discouraging chains in Dalkey given that it already has Topaz, Eurospar* and Paddy Power's.

Most of the resistance towards Starbucks was motivated by xenophobia towards the US which negates the credibility of such resistance. Using the village's heritage as a smoke screen or excuse for xenophobia paints a very backward picture of Ireland.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. The Bedroom Studio is closing down while Nosh ceased trading a few days ago. The confectionery shop beside The Post Office has been closed for a while and also The Castle Chinese Restaurant (formerly 7/11).

The Book Exchange in Dalkey has been closed for nearly a month now. In my opinion, this is a golden opportunity for a much needed expansion for The Country Bake given that it is right next door.

Contrary to what many people may believe, the Library in Dalkey as well as those in many other parts of the Dun Laoghaire borough are closed for refurbishment NOT for good. Terrible timing given that Junior and Leaving Certs are around the corner as well as many college exams.

*: Eurospar is currently undergoing a massive expansion project which will involve a radical change to the layout. At the moment, the former Gemma's Newsagent is being gutted so that it can be merged with Eurospar.

the owner of the book exchange has retired, which is why it has closed. I believe he owns the freehold on the shop so it is, I believe, his pension.

rubadub wrote: »
    They can have more discreet setups.

Like starbucks blackrock
    DSCN16316.jpg

McDonalds in bray
    IMG_8663.JPG

I wouldn't mind a discreet eddie rockets, esp. if it got a beer licence like a few seem to have gotten, probably more likely to get one in dalkey too.

sorry don't buy it. theres a place for everthing, and One of Dublin prettiest villages doesn't need large franchises. If they start moving in then there would be no reason to go to Dalkey, yo coudl go to any shopping centre or any other village to get the same things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

ted1 wrote: »
    sorry don't buy it. theres a place for everthing, and One of Dublin prettiest villages doesn't need large franchises. If they start moving in then there would be no reason to go to Dalkey, yo coudl go to any shopping centre or any other village to get the same things.

What if the alternative is empty/vacant buildings? Every business in Dalkey is suffering and a street where there is an empty shop every 50 meters will affect them even more.

Just to give an idea of the franchise/brand names already in Dalkey. Paddypower,O'Briens,Borza,Sherry Fitz,AIB,Euro Spar, EBS, Ulster Bank, Topaz. So theres already plenty there, and I dont think they "spoil" the feel of Dalkey.

Advertisement