Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you collect?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

FAO Judgement Day, in post number 9 of this thread you have a picture of a green hexagonal postbox, I thought you might be interested to know there is one of these still in use in New Ross today. Apparently there were only a couple of hundred of them made and most were in India, I think the one in Ross was the only one in Ireland, I read an article about them a while back, if I can find it I will post it here.

Found the article http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume16/issue3/features/?id=114241

From History Ireland magazine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

MasterSun wrote: »
    reality example:
    the 2008 International polar year silver (arctic explorer) coin -- sold out in 3 days, Original priced at 50 euro, currently at 80 euro

Actually I can still buy those for 50 Euro. But I wasn't talking about all CB stuff, I buy a lot from the CB, but it depends what you buy ;) There's a difference between the low mintage/high demand stuff produced by the CB and the high mintage stuff that they're still trying to sell off after 3 or 4 years. For example they are still trying to sell off the 2005 Annual Mint Sets and the "€1 Coin Set" from 2002, in fact up to a couple of years ago they still had stock of stuff from 1990! We cannot compare these items to lower mintage items like the 2006 proof set/mestrovic double set or Artic explorer in Gold which sold out in a day.

I understand what you're saying about old Irish medals not having shot up much in value year on year because of lower demand. Euro coins have more demand because of all the Europeans collecting them. But for a start they're a hell of a lot more interesting to collect and it's possible to find valuable ones for bargain prices, in places where the sellers know nothing about them. So I'm not suggesting here buying them at inflated prices from certain Irish coin/medal dealers, I'm saying like with all antiques look around and with a good eye and knowledge, you will find good investments. Or a quick buck if you turn it around quickly. Personally I hold on to such items and over the last 10 years I've seen them selling at auctions for twice and three times what I paid for them.

Economics was my worst subject in school...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Blade wrote: »
    Actually I can still buy those for 50 Euro. But I wasn't talking about all CB stuff, I buy a lot from the CB, but it depends what you buy ;) There's a difference between the low mintage/high demand stuff produced by the CB and the high mintage stuff that they're still trying to sell off after 3 or 4 years. For example they are still trying to sell off the 2005 Annual Mint Sets and the "€1 Coin Set" from 2002, in fact up to a couple of years ago they still had stock of stuff from 1990! We cannot compare these items to lower mintage items like the 2006 proof set/mestrovic double set or Artic explorer in Gold which sold out in a day.

I understand what you're saying about old Irish medals not having shot up much in value year on year because of lower demand. Euro coins have more demand because of all the Europeans collecting them. But for a start they're a hell of a lot more interesting to collect and it's possible to find valuable ones for bargain prices, in places where the sellers know nothing about them. So I'm not suggesting here buying them at inflated prices from certain Irish coin/medal dealers, I'm saying like with all antiques look around and with a good eye and knowledge, you will find good investments. Or a quick buck if you turn it around quickly. Personally I hold on to such items and over the last 10 years I've seen them selling at auctions for twice and three times what I paid for them.

Economics was my worst subject in school...

thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

bodun wrote: »
    FAO Judgement Day, in post number 9 of this thread you have a picture of a green hexagonal postbox, I thought you might be interested to know there is one of these still in use in New Ross today. Apparently there were only a couple of hundred of them made and most were in India, I think the one in Ross was the only one in Ireland, I read an article about them a while back, if I can find it I will post it here.

Found the article http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume16/issue3/features/?id=114241

From History Ireland magazine

Thanks for that. An interesting article. There were quite a number of hexagonal (Penfold) boxes in Ireland but not many these days. The one in New Ross is on the An Post 'heritage' page http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/History+and+Heritage/History/The+Postal+Service+in+Ireland/The+post+box/. As a result it was nicely painted-up but the last time I was through New Ross it looked very shabby. It is very aptly sited outside the Royal Hotel if memory serves me. :D
    Link here to An Post's museum page: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/History+and+Heritage/Home/

I'm a simple peasant when it comes to collecting art and I like paintings that can be easily understood and that have a simple charm about them. Paintings that in years gone by would have adorned railway travel posters or the covers of chocolate boxes - Paul Henry, Maurice Wilks etc.etc. but all now out of my price range. The Auction Rooms are full of overpriced, hyped-up rubbish by the likes of Jack B Yeats, Sean Scully, Louis le Brocquy to name but a few, and the cognoscenti would have you believe that if you can't appreciate them you're some sort of a cultural philistine! However, genuine, unpretentious and reasonably priced art is still to be found everywhere if only you open your eyes. In Dublin the People's Art on St.Stephen's Green http://www.peoplesart.ie/ is a place to visit for the collector in search of a bargain. Also Merrion Square on Sundays http://www.merrionsquareart.com/ . Even wandering around the streets of Dublin there are a quite a number of artists selling their wares on the pavements - there was one who was doing superb pencil drawings of Dublin landmarks outside Pearse Station a few weeks ago and now I wish I hadn't been in such a rush to get home!

Anyway, I have recently begun to search for affordable art online, and in particular for pictures that I can use on Christmas cards and have discovered several artists that I really like. Last week I made my first purchase, pictured below, and I have a feeling it will be the first of many. Your thoughts? :)

b7kv6vgmkkgrhqmokieeyvl.jpg

Heron & Chicks a 12” x 9” watercolour by Scottish based artist Pauline James and purchased for the princely sum of £10.98 including p+p!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I recently came across an empty box for the Millenium Falcon 1983 edition in my attic. Its in good nick. I know people selling theirs are not worth much without the box because as kids they were dumped. Sure let me know your thoughts, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

RTT wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I recently came across an empty box for the Millenium Falcon 1983 edition in my attic. Its in good nick. I know people selling theirs are not worth much without the box because as kids they were dumped. Sure let me know your thoughts, thanks.

stick it on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

RTT wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hi RTT and welcome to the forum,if you wish to sell the Millenium Falcon box you can place an advert on www.adverts.ie and copy and paste a link to that advert in your post.Buying and selling is not permitted on the forum and you may benefit from starting a new thread to keep these threads for there particular subject.Moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

With the time of year that's in it, I thought it would be appropriate to share my collection. I collect White House Historical Association Christmas Ornaments. They started making ornaments back in 1981, and add a new ornament to the collection every year. I love White House history so I decided to collect all the ornaments. Have all of them in original boxes, with original brochure literature in each.
    http://www.whitehousehistory.org/whha_ornament/ornament_collection/index.html

This is not so much what I collect but rather what I would like to collect - vintage amusement arcade machines. They remind me of my misspent youth on Bray seafront in the late 60's and early 70's. I had a couple of machines many years ago but let them go when times were hard - an Allwin and a Sega one arm bandit - and what I would give to have them now.

Everyone knows the one arm bandit as it has continued in a modern, less interesting form to the present day, but the Allwin and Bryans machines have gone the way of the Dodo. They still crop up on eBay from time to time, with the best ones fetching four figure sums and the ‘more common’ varieties fetching £500+.

For anyone who has ever owned one and looked inside it for the first time, it is the sheer simplicity of the mechanical operation that is amazing. Many of the machines that I remember using in “The Fun Palace”, “Star” and “Dawsons” in Bray only let you win money, which you invariably fed back into them, but some offered cigarettes, Kit Kat, Spangles etc. as prizes and you could get quite good at winning on these machines after a bit of trial and error. Once the right level of depression of the shooting handle was established it was relatively simple to repeat it to win over and again – but you did it ever so discreetly so that you didn’t get pegged out by the ‘bouncers’.

There are a number of seaside resorts in the UK that still have some vintage arcades but, sadly, none that I know of in Ireland. The best thing about owning your own machine is you can open it up when you’re finished and get your money back - as it invariably ends up taking all your money. :D

Nice YouTube video here of an Aero Allwin in use - note the interior footage at the end. Anybody know of an Irish arcade still using these machines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I have about 300 tickets from GAA matches, Soccer matches, concerts, Plays tourist places.
    Nearly everything I ever been at since I was 14 or 15 that required a ticket iv kept.
    Don't think they would be worth anything to anyone else besides myself but I love the fact that I have them.

Just as it's a bad time to sell, it's a great time to buy and I've slipped back into my old habits recently. I've bought quite a lot of movie posters and lobby cards on eBay over the last year and there are bargains to be had but you have to go searching. My latest acquisition is a rather nice set of eight lobby cards for the largely forgotten WWII movie "Underground" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066505/ which was filmed in Enniscorthy. I already picked up a poster and the movie itself on VHS.

Underground%2BLC%2BSnip.PNG

Another movie purchase was a poster for the long forgotten "I Thank a Fool" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056089/ which was partly filmed in West Cork back in the early 1960s. I haven't seen the movie yet but I like the poster.

%2524%2528KGrHqN%252C%2521hkE6Z3LGVwoBO0j%25284Wn%252Bw%257E%257E60_3.JPG

So, what has anybody else picked up in the long gap since the last post in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I prucahsed some coins earlier this week, but have to wait a while to have them shipped from America. :( They're coming by registered post so I can track the package, and I'm literally sitting here pressing F5 on the US Postal Service's trackign page! Gonna be a long wait! I'll upload pics and details when they arrive.

When you state in your last post that it's a good time to buy/bad time to sell, what did you mean?

Well, from my own experience I find it hard to sell things at realistic prices and I have noticed on eBay, and ordinary auctions, prices have not held up. This is unusual as in previous recessions top-end items still held their value but not this time. That said, the up side is that it makes those longed for purchases more possible - if only I had the cash available. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Only recently started collecting Telecom Eireann/Eircom Callcards again in October last (collected them when I was younger). Seems to have been a fair amount of others doing similar recently, as a hobby it seems to be getting popular again!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I love vintage stuff that I can really use. I have a collection of vintage pagoda umbrellas (about 5). I collected writing slopes for a while and then got sold a few of them but kept my favorite, along with that item I collected fountain pens for a while.

I used to have a tendency to hoard so I stop when I feel I've enough now. Car boot sales keep the hoarder in check, selling that is;).

Years ago, a friend in the Antiques Trade told me never to sell things that I collected, trade perhaps but never sell as it reduces your view of your collection to a monetary one rather than its intrinsic value. Sadly I didn't follow their advice and now almost everything I collect I'm prepared to sell.

Talking of which, a few days ago I was asked for advice on selling some Triang Minic ships from the 1960s and I was off in collection mode again. I like ships, I like diecast and I particularly like miniature items in general - they are so easily managed in terms of space and display. A quick internet search brought me loads of information on what's available, prices etc.etc. and my first modest purchase of a 1/1200 scale model lightship "Varne" quickly followed.

v.png?w=600
    In need of a refit but at €8.44 something of a bargain.

No point in a ship without a port and tonight I pushed the boat out - sorry - and bought the Liner set below. In mint condition, save for the box, it set me back £41.00. I have several more purchases lined up....:D

liner-terminal.png?w=600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

JD, the links to the images you tried to put up cannot be viewed by other posters as the site they are hosted on requires anyone who wants to see them to be registered and logged in. Just to let you know why the images don't work here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I started building one old mercury engine for my boat a few years ago.

DSC00718.jpg

Now I'm sort of hooked on them and anything to do with them I have 8 engines and and countless bits and pieces and paperwork to do with them " I like shinny bits best" :D I love to troll ebay looking for the next part or engine that I have no need for but just have to have, I'm not too sure if a collection or as my wife says an obsession.

2011-08-28171915.jpg

You would fit a lot of Triang 1/1200 ships in the space that your engine clutter takes up. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Two coins that I recently bought to start my collection. Have always been interested in the ancient world, and as I collected coins when I was younger, O thought it would be a nice way to combine the two interests. It's amazing to be able to touch something that was handled by people living thousands of years ago.

Below is a silver tetrobol dating from the Macedonian Kingdom of Perdikkas II, c. 451-413 BC. It predates Alexander the Great by a century. The obverse is a a horseman with reins in his right hand and two spears in his left. The reverse is the forepart of a roaring lion within a square.

IMG_20120820_155502.jpg

IMG_20120820_155550.jpg

Below is a silver hemidrachm from Cherronesos, Thrace. It dates from c. 400-350BC. The obverse is a lion roaring, its head turned back. The reverse is a quadripartite incuse square with an pellet X and an amphora in the sunken quadrants.

IMG_20120820_155635.jpg

IMG_20120820_155703.jpg

Have to do a bit of research now to find out more about the coins, and where they might have been used. Bearing in mind that minting of coins only began in earnest in the 6th century, and it's clear that these two date from very near the beginning of numismatic history. The pictures don't do the coins justice at all (do they ever?:P). They're also very small.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sports memorabilia - I have the ball that Freddie Trueman took his World Record Test wicket in New Zealand in 1963. I also have an extensive collection of Man United programmes (going back over 100 years), but my piece de resistance is this:

1930medals.jpg?t=1344114656

Currently on display at the recently opened National Football Museum in Manchester
    #15 is the Gold Medal awarded to Pablo Dorado of Uruguay for winning the 1930 World Cup - Dorado scored the first ever goal in a World Cup Final
    #16 is the Silver Medal awarded to Manuel Ferreira, Captain of Argentina and runners up in the 1930 World Cup
    #17 is the Bronze Medal awarded to Tom Florie, Captain of the USA who took 3rd place in the 1930 World Cup

Although everyone in the winning team received medals, only the Captains of the runners up and third placed team were awarded them, so the Bronze Medal is the nearest thing to a trophy that the USA have ever won in the (mens) World Cup

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think that just about beats my collection of engine parts :D

Very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

My collection started with a WW2 .50cal cartridge case that somebody gave me - now I have a shed full of artillery shell cases and closets full of other WW2 memorabilia - uniform pieces, field gear stuff like that. My wife loves it.:p

Pics please!

I used to collect spent cartridge cases and clips left behind by the defence forces on their various rifle ranges but got shut of the collection years back - didn't fancy ever having to explain matters to the gardai. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

Coins! I use to collect coins when I was a child but have started again. I recently got a collection of several hundred coins I have been going through it and organising. Some nice silver Swiss coins and 1850s, 60s and 70s French coins.

Have a collection of spent rifle and artillery casings too. Oh and a small collection of some encyclopedias from the 1930s and 21 volumes of "The Times, The History of the War" which is a period series on the 1st World War. I think I have some call cards shoved away in a drawer somewhere too.

Continuing with my latest obsession I picked up this very nice postcard of two lightships at Dun Laoghaire on eBay this morning. By British artist Walter Hayward-Young (1868-1920) who used the pseudonym "Jotter", it's a smashing item which, when digitally touched-up to remove the postmark, will have pride of place in my growing collection.

CONINBEG%2Band%2BSKULMARTIN%2Blightships%2Bold%2Bpostcard%2Bby%2BJotter.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

i used to collect all sorts when i was a kid from beermats (used to have them all stuck on the ceiling of my bedroom) to call cards, sticker books, model cars i was a hoarder. still love to be able to collect certain things but space and kids prohibits a lot of that. recently started collecting coins, havent got anything too extraordinary just started putting sets of coins from a particular year/country into envelopes and labelling etc. also havent gone to the extent of buying coins just whatever ive come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I like enamel signs, something that modern processes are unable to fake convincingly.
    Anything Irish State related that's bilingual...that's got a bit of a Hiberno-Stalinist thing going on.

• Advertisement

chinese-006-copy.jpg?w=600

My latest acquisitions - donated by my late lamented Chinese takeaway. I'm not a collector of Oriental stuff normally but I will keep the Japanese ladies as momentoes of my favourite takeaway. The local branch of Permanent TSB closed last week too but I wasn't tempted to ask for any of their signage which was stripped from the building yesterday. :D

http://insatiablecollector.wordpress.com/

Advertisement