Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone do no exercise?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Why don't you lay off the young lad, what's it to you?

Maybe Mr Fegelien is tired of your anecdotes about your retirement but you don't see him insulting you.

Get off your high horse, this is a discussion forum, the guy can post what he wants, you don't have to participate.

The OP is full of sh!t who starts sh!t threads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111678560

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I'm in my 20s and never do exercise or any sport apart from walking to college and to bus stop. I suppose I'm of an average BMI (165 cm, 70kg) and never felt the need to, even in secondary school, I hated PE. Tried tennis once but gave up.

I've been told this is unhealthy and it'll catch up with me when I'm in my late 40s but i'm not obese so no problem right?

Not Obese but overweight according to BMI(25.7).

You may not appear fat but can still have have a high level of visceral fat, the fat around your organs, which is incredibly unhealthy.

Personally I exercise to improve my quality of life and not just at the end as other people have suggested.

It makes every day to day task easier and very good for mental health too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I think you've misunderstood the concept of a discussion forum.

Oh really, how so?

The OP is full of sh!t who starts sh!t threads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111678560

That just ehh, your opinion man. we all have differing opinions.

What's your solution? Ban him? Shame him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That just ehh, your opinion man. we all have differing opinions.

What's your solution? Ban him? Shame him?

What's my solution? Is that rhetorical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I've been told this is unhealthy and it'll catch up with me when I'm in my late 40s but i'm not obese so no problem right?

Wrong. There is a lot more to exercise than bodyweight or BMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I see the OP starts these threads every day, but do they ever come back to contribute to the chat?

It's hard to tell if they're seriously asking or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why don't you lay off the young lad, what's it to you?

Maybe Mr Fegelien is tired of your anecdotes about your retirement but you don't see him insulting you.

Get off your high horse, this is a discussion forum, the guy can post what he wants, you don't have to participate.

I’ve bolded the important part.

Yes, anyone is free to post, but as it’s a discussion forum as you correctly pointed out, a thread shouldn’t be an echo chamber.

The OP posts about drinking bleach, doing drugs, not exercising, not studying for the LC, and yet posts how life is sh1t and generally his posts are looking for sympathy.

Posters have offered help and advice, yet all of this is ignored. Nobody is insulting the OP, but there is a general sense of frustration that the OP is doing very little to help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

Oh really, how so?

You already answered your own question but here's another answer;
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yes, anyone is free to post, but as it’s a discussion forum as you correctly pointed out, a thread shouldn’t be an echo chamber....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Interesting thread, dude. I’m a hard living man so I try and balance that out with regular enough exercise. Bit of 5 aside, plenty of golf, the odd hike. Being middle-aged I avoided becoming a MAMIL by not purchasing a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not being obese does not indicate good health. How's your ticker, how's your diet, how are your movements, how's your blood, how are your teeth....amongst many other things.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’ve bolded the important part.

Yes, anyone is free to post, but as it’s a discussion forum as you correctly pointed out, a thread shouldn’t be an echo chamber.

The OP posts about drinking bleach, doing drugs, not exercising, not studying for the LC, and yet posts how life is sh1t and generally his posts are looking for sympathy.

Posters have offered help and advice, yet all of this is ignored. Nobody is insulting the OP, but there is a general sense of frustration that the OP is doing very little to help himself.

Sounds like he's a troll or he has mental health issues.

Good hear you are offering your support if its the latter.

Maybe leave it to the mods to moderate tho.

Getting some fresh air and exercise might help you alleviate some of your frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

I happen to work in this area. There is evidence now that sedentary behaviour i.e. sitting at a desk all day with no physical activity can be as bad for your health as smoking.

Adults should get at least 30 minutes a day physical activity. We're not talking here about running marathons. Walking to work is a good, free, healthy form of physical activity. Cycling is even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

Interesting thread, dude. I’m a hard living man so I try and balance that out with regular enough exercise. Bit of 5 aside, plenty of golf, the odd hike. Being middle-aged I avoided becoming a MAMIL by not purchasing a bike.

You don't have to be a MAMIL to cycle. I cycle to and from work every day. It's one of the best forms of exercise there is. It's also a lot cheaper, more convenient and better for the environment than driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Take up mountain biking, it ll make a man outta yea

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You don't have to be a MAMIL to cycle. I cycle to and from work every day. It's one of the best forms of exercise there is. It's also a lot cheaper, more convenient and better for the environment than driving.

I find my clothing naturally progressing towards being tighter the more I cycle, but I'll never be MAMIL!

30 minutes a day of an activity that gets the heart pumping is what is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

anewme wrote: »
    Exercise is a great mood booster.

Sometimes you think, ah I'm wrecked, can't be arsed, but once you do the exercise, you are in much better form and mindset.

You just need to find the exercise that works for you.

Agree with all of this.

You feel so much better after a jog or whatever; also the sense of accomplishment is a great feeling.

Find an exercise regimen that works for you, just don't over do it, lower back strain ain't been fun the last few days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Saying you don't exercise is like saying I don't brush my teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

As is the general consensus weight and health are not completely linked however at either extreme they can cause issues

Being over or under weight will create health complications.

Exercise has huge benefits on mood, energy levels and general quality of life. Anyone who says otherwise more than likely has just conditioned themselves to lower energy levels, generally feeling like crap or in a perpetual state of hangover/sugar crash.

When people say it will catch up on you usually they mean that that issues will start to manifest in an obvious way but quality of life is largely compromised before than but given the sedentary nature of many people these days these symptoms go largely unnotticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I happen to work in this area. There is evidence now that sedentary behaviour i.e. sitting at a desk all day with no physical activity can be as bad for your health as smoking.

Adults should get at least 30 minutes a day physical activity. We're not talking here about running marathons. Walking to work is a good, free, healthy form of physical activity. Cycling is even better.

Always seem to be dramaticist headlines like that. I read another similar study and negative health effects of long hours of sitting at a desk everyday only had noticeable negative effects on health if the participant was consuming high calorie snacks during the timeframe . They also didnt specify what high calorie meant, were the high calorie foods healthy or unhealthy? nuts are high calorie but Im sure they didnt mean that, they probably meant junk food, but you can never know because its just another **** quality study done for headlines. Id take most of the studies with a pinch of salt

I read another version of the study that also only observed negative health effects of long hours of sitting when it was on the couch, watching tv , and no noticeable effect observed in those doing work at a desk job. Hundreds of millions of people have worked desk jobs sitting down for hours on end all day for their entire lives, if it was as deadly as smoking loads then surely we'd see a very high mortality rate in that line of work, vs say construction workers. but no, most desk job professional middle class sorts are the longest lived of society

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

whats mamil

is it something something something in lycra

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

bluewolf wrote: »
    whats mamil

is it something something something in lycra

Middle aged man in Lycra

anewme wrote: »
    Middle aged man in Lycra

Is that what it means? I know a few if them and they get loads of sh1t for wearing lycra. Most of it behind their backs. One bloke walks aground the office in his lycra and bare feet for an hour or two in the mornings. That's going too far.

But generally I disagree with the anti MAMIL stuff. If a bloke has a hobby, leave him to it. As middle age pursuits go, getting into cycling seems pretty healthy. Up the MAMILs!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Walked twenty miles per week until eighteen months ago, through no fault of my own, suffered a foot injury which is life changing, you definitely notice the stiffer body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

But generally I disagree with the anti MAMIL stuff. If a bloke has a hobby, leave him to it. As middle age pursuits go, getting into cycling seems pretty healthy. Up the MAMILs!

I'm not a cyclist, it's not an exercise/hobby that appeals to me. But I find usually the people who slag off MAMILs the most are those whose hobbies include drinking a lot and nearly having a heart attack when they climb more than one flight of stairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'm not a cyclist, it's not an exercise/hobby that appeals to me. But I find usually the people who slag off MAMILs the most are those whose hobbies include drinking a lot and nearly having a heart attack when they climb more than one flight of stairs!

It’s a terrible look. Especially when the Lycra is bulging in a very “unflattering” manner.

If I were to go out on my bike now I’d be wearing the same thing I’d wear if I was going for a run. The MAMILs look like the type of person who turns up to a five a side game dressed in a brand new “full kit” or a social tennis match dressed like they’re stepping out at Wimbledon.

It’s embarrassing.

The tide is turning…

It’s embarrassing.

For you. They're not bothered in the slightest. Honestly, I quite admire their confidence, and degree of self-esteem. I don't have half as much when I wear clothes other than my normal rags

It’s a terrible look. Especially when the Lycra is bulging in a very “unflattering” manner.

If I were to go out on my bike now I’d be wearing the same thing I’d wear if I was going for a run. The MAMILs look like the type of person who turns up to a five a side game dressed in a brand new “full kit” or a social tennis match dressed like they’re stepping out at Wimbledon.

It’s embarrassing.

So you go ahead and feel embarrassed. But if the MAMIL is enjoying themselves, why try to spread your embarrassment to them?

Just leave them enjoy themselves and think about whether your embarrassment at other people's clothes is a good thing or not. If it makes you want to be unkind to other people, then I'd suggest it's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Is it specific to Mamil s though? what about beer belly football/Gaelic jerseys that are rampant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

KSU wrote: »
    Is it specific to Mamil s though? what about beer belly football/Gaelic jerseys that are rampant

I’ve never really been a “fan” of wearing jerseys, unless you’re at the match. Particularly soccer jerseys.

When people used to support Manchester United you’d see the jerseys everywhere and the pubs would be full of them at the weekend. It wasn’t a good look on most lads, either the belly was “protruding” or it didn’t sit well on a, near, skeletal frame.

I think the rugby crowd did a great service when they brought out the “supporters” jersey. It’s not sprayed on tight and it looks quite nice.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement