Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€2m taxpayer funds for GAA facilities

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

feargale wrote: »
    Oh God yes. Why should we bother about kids getting fresh air and exercise in Ballydehob and Belmullet when they could be watching stars on the telly?
    It's time to ask again: What does the GAA do with all its money? Why doen't it give €55 million to the FAI?
    Come on all you guys who went to posh schools. Where are you Ross O'Carroll-Kelly?
    It's time to bump this. What better time to do so than now?

Just back from your Christmas lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

fryup wrote: »
    i hate the GAA and everything they stand for >insular irish narrow mindedness

i don't want a penny of my taxpayers money going to them, we should be promoting international sports

Ha ha ha. I’m loving this news even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

is_that_so wrote: »
    While this looks like a very good initiative should the taxpayer be on the hook for what is effectively a GAA only facility?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0424/1045285-indoor-inter-county-games-at-connachts-3m-air-dome/

How long before it just blows away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Other sports are far more tolerant of who can use their facilities. There is usually a cost but they are still available. I see you've resorted to the crank taunt. Well, I admire the GAA in general for what they do. That said, I don't like their Beal Bocht approach to public funding and I do question why some of it is allowed to go on what looks like general public amenities but which are clearly restricted.

I'd like to see you down at the local soccer club or rugby club facility with your hurley or basketball trying to have a tip around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Berserker wrote: »
    Hic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Berserker wrote: »

No. We observe the Gregorian calendar where I am. I guess you inhabit one of those places in the neighbouring jurisdiction where the inhabitants refused to take on the belated change in 1752. Foula?

Have you a point to make about the subject of the thread? (Or has your anti-Irish balloon lost some gas today?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I will admit that I had a rather narrow minded and ignorant view of the GAA prior to actually interacting with the GAA. I have 4 kids and all of them to varying degrees have been involved in GAA sports. One of the four on a constant and very active basis from the age of 4 until now (she's currently 16).

The positive roll that the GAA play in my community is exceptional. The level of effort and time spend volunteering by trainers, helpers, welfare staff etc is exceptional.
    In my community the GAA are a positive influence on many many aspects of the community and the well-being of it's members, my kids included.
    From raising money for charity, to de-fib training for all to welcoming asylum seekers and refugees into the community my local GAA is involved in it all.

I am exceptional grateful for the positive role they play in society.

Maybe in some places the GAA live up to their unfair caricature, but not in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I will admit that I had a rather narrow minded and ignorant view of the GAA prior to actually interacting with the GAA. I have 4 kids and all of them to varying degrees have been involved in GAA sports. One of the four on a constant and very active basis from the age of 4 until now (she's currently 16).

The positive roll that the GAA play in my community is exceptional. The level of effort and time spend volunteering by trainers, helpers, welfare staff etc is exceptional.
    In my community the GAA are a positive influence on many many aspects of the community and the well-being of it's members, my kids included.
    From raising money for charity, to de-fib training for all to welcoming asylum seekers and refugees into the community my local GAA is involved in it all.

I am exceptional grateful for the positive role they play in society.

Maybe in some places the GAA live up to their unfair caricature, but not in my experience.

I'm delighted to see that someone can change their view on the GAA. We constantly have GAA bashing threads on boards and those of us with experience of the organisation can see that 90% of the gripes are completely unfounded. Fair play for being open minded enough to try it and change your opinions. Many wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

It always mystifies me that GAA clubs are fully aware of the GAA's rules regarding non GAA governed sports being played on GAA grounds and yet continually decide to flout the rules of the association they are a part of.

I find it hard to take that rule seriously when the organisation have allowed boxing, rugby, soccer and God Save The Queen to be played in their own headquarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Not a nice organisation in my view. My son going back 15 years ago was told he couldn't play for his local football (soccer) team on the Saturday because his GAA team had a big semi final on the Sunday. Bit of a stand off occured that resulted in him being dropped out of the GAA side despite him being a regular fixture in the side all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,239 ✭✭✭✭ted1

While this looks like a very good initiative should the taxpayer be on the hook for what is effectively a GAA only facility?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0424/1045285-indoor-inter-county-games-at-connachts-3m-air-dome/
    So what , tax payers money goes on lots of things, this is just one.

A hospital is I my used by sick people , a school by kids, council houses only for specific families , and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,239 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not a nice organisation in my view. My son going back 15 years ago was told he couldn't play for his local football (soccer) team on the Saturday because his GAA team had a big semi final on the Sunday. Bit of a stand off occured that resulted in him being dropped out of the GAA side despite him being a regular fixture in the side all season.

I think most sports would have done that. Rest up before a big match. It’s not fair on the 14? Other players on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Think about it,
    were it not for the GAA and it's membership over the years how many community centres, pitches, walkways and general facilities would exist in Ireland?

While some of the money for these facilities have come from state funds a lot of it is generated locally - and to be fair if it weren't for the folks pushing for these things to get done, they wouldn't be done.

I know the village I am in currently would have very little were it not for a few people pushing for these facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anybody can become a member of a GAA club it's very cheap to have just general membership.

GAA has provided an outlet for people to exercise so it's also good for overall public health.

Basically your argument is coming down to GAA clubs are only for people who like GAA which is true much like swimming pools or athletics tracks etc are only for people interested in swimming and athletics.

It is slightly amusing when GAA members trumpet so much about volunteering, exercise and community etc as if 99% of sport played in Ireland in all codes doesn't fall into this category.

Also your points about the foreign games rule is disingenuous. The fact is that its a laborious process to get the rule overturned and not guaranteed to be successful. Its a tricky situation to have sporting facilities in receipt of generous public funding that are closed by rule to other sports on essentially discriminatory grounds of nationality.

For all that thoug, I'm completely in favour of generous funding for any sports, especially underage, and there shouldn't be bickering about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whatever about the GAA being something of a black box money goes into. When you see the FAI taking millions of euro in and its board feasting on huge salaries, bonusses and lavish benefits while clubs and players struggle to get even the most basic facilities and rely on community handouts, you really start to appreciate the effort it must take to keep the GAA on track and not a massively corrupt cesspit.

We should disband the FAI and hand over complete control of Irish soccer to the GAA.

We'd be back with a world class soccer team inside of a decade.

ted1 wrote: »
    I think most sports would have done that. Rest up before a big match. It’s not fair on the 14? Other players on the team.

Nope two of the other lads had a hurling match on the Saturday which funny enough wasn't a problem. Anyway lesson was learned and he went on to play at a decent enough level in LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

that was discussed at Central council level was it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

that was discussed at Central council level was it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No the team manager made the call. In hindsight the young lad was happy enough about it as it focused the mind on the football ⚽

No the team manager made the call. In hindsight the young lad was happy enough about it as it focused the mind on the football ⚽

It's hard to paint the entire organisation with the same brush based on your interaction with one person, but you managed to do it.

It is slightly amusing when GAA members trumpet so much about volunteering, exercise and community etc as if 99% of sport played in Ireland in all codes doesn't fall into this category.

Also your points about the foreign games rule is disingenuous. The fact is that its a laborious process to get the rule overturned and not guaranteed to be successful. Its a tricky situation to have sporting facilities in receipt of generous public funding that are closed by rule to other sports on essentially discriminatory grounds of nationality.

For all that thoug, I'm completely in favour of generous funding for any sports, especially underage, and there shouldn't be bickering about it.

You might find that these "GAA Members" also volunteer within other sports as well. I know of a good few coaches who coach a number of sports - fair play to them.

The thing is there has to be a group of individuals organised enough to be able to put together the paperwork and planning needed to:
    1. Make the proposales for facilities.
    2. Put in the grant applications.
    3. Deliver on what they said they'd deliver on.

If these people happen to be working under the umbrella of the GAA club, why shouldn't public money be used to support them in their endeavors and why shouldn't these facilities have usage limits built into them at the behest of the group that have put all the work into them ?

All that being said, I would be more for better "community" facilities in various towns and villages but when it comes to planning and running them, who does this if it's not under the umbrella of a GAA/Soccer/Rugby etc club.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    It's hard to paint the entire organisation with the same brush based on your interaction with one person, but you managed to do it.

Yeah because im basing it on one event.

The exact original wording of Rule 27...

"Any member of the Association who plays or encourages in any way rugby, football, hockey or any imported game which is calculated to injuriously affect our National Pastimes, is suspended from the Association."

Rule 42 was worded as follows

Grounds controlled by Association units shall not be used or permitted to be used, for horse racing, greyhound racing, or for field games other than those sanctioned by Central Council."

Even during the 1950's American football was played at Croke Park. American sports are/were never an issue for the GAA only the so called British ones.

In fairness the GAA have moved on considerably in recent years (south of the border certainly) and this is thankfully a much more an isolated incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

"Any member of the Association who plays or encourages in any way rugby, football, hockey or any imported game which is calculated to injuriously affect our National Pastimes, is suspended from the Association."

Grounds controlled by Association units shall not be used or permitted to be used, for horse racing, greyhound racing, or for field games other than those sanctioned by Central Council."

Even during the 1950's American football was played at Croke Park. American sports are/were never an issue for the GAA only the so called British ones.

In fairness the GAA have moved on considerably in recent years (south of the border certainly) and this is thankfully a much more an isolated incident.

Every sporting organization promotes their own sport ahead of other sports.
    It’s the natural thing to do.

Every sporting organization promotes their own sport ahead of other sports.
    It’s the natural thing to do.

I think suspending someone isn't promoting your own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Rule 27 was repealed 50 years ago, what relevance is it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

In our area, the local LOI team run an academy. They get U13s to sign a contract (for no gain) that precludes them from playing with other sporting teams, big games coming up or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

kippy wrote: »
    Think about it,
    were it not for the GAA and it's membership over the years how many community centres, pitches, walkways and general facilities would exist in Ireland?

While some of the money for these facilities have come from state funds a lot of it is generated locally - and to be fair if it weren't for the folks pushing for these things to get done, they wouldn't be done.

I know the village I am in currently would have very little were it not for a few people pushing for these facilities.

I'm pretty sure other countries have facilities, community centers, etc... If the GAA didn't exist, other sports clubs would fill that void.

To be fair, it's great to see kids playing different sports but it's a pain if one interferes with training and matches for the other, especially if the kids are playing to a decent level and teenagers.

Not sure I'd have take the nuclear option like that when I was coaching but I can fully understand the frustration of the coach and team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm of the opinion that not a penny of taxpayers money should go into GAA grounds as long as local clubs are unable to rent / share the facilities to any other minority code as they see fit by the GAA politburo.

The EU Commission took a dim view of the goings on down in Cork with PuC getting loadzadosh from taxpayers for the vanity Ceaușescu bowl that sits empty all year and other sports can't make use of it.

I'm pretty sure other countries have facilities, community centers, etc... If the GAA didn't exist, other sports clubs would fill that void.

No wish to turn this into a pissing match as the more kids in any sport the better but for all the good work in the GAA and incompetence of the FAI, it's not always been a level playing field between codes given the levels of patronage and establishment support.

Plus while an organisation that gets a ground will generally only use that ground, high levels of public funding don't sit well with an explicit rule banning 'foreign' sports. Just envisage for a second if that was a ban on, say, women's games or whatever.

Tallaght Stadium for example, is a public stadium with soccer team as anchor tenants but it has hosted rugby, junior GAA and American football events before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

No wish to turn this into a pissing match as the more kids in any sport the better but for all the good work in the GAA and incompetence of the FAI, it's not always been a level playing field between codes given the levels of patronage and establishment support.

It's no accident that 'good GAA men' end up as TDs. If you're adept at getting sports capital grants for clubs up and down your county, it's a sure fire way to keep your job given the geographic spread.

Advertisement