Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€2500 fine for private joke with daughter..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Just you watch me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Rabbo wrote: »
    The whole thing is frankly embarrassing. A man comes over here to do business and instead is arrested, hauled in front of a judge and fined €2500 for a private harmless joke between him and his daughter. I honestly wouldn't think twice if I found a coffee cup on a plane with the word Ebola on it. Ridiculous over reaction from the cabin crew/pilot.

It's easy to say that when you've never been in that situation. I also don't see the what his purpose for travelling to Ireland has to do with anything.

Clearly it wasn't a private joke between himself and his daughter because it was on a plane where a steward noticed the cup and did what they were trained to do. They have enough to be dealing with without passengers on the plane making their job more difficult.

Hopefully the man sees now that it wasn't just a harmless joke after all and that thoughtless behaviour can have adverse consequences when you're not thinking about how other people might not share your sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

He got away light enough, the furore he caused cost a lot more than that.

Current protocols aside, he should have been reprimanded for such an unfunny 'joke' regardless.

It could be argued that the waitress in the sky caused the furore and if there was a bit of cop on in play the whole thing could have been avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

LOL @ the idiots saying we should depend on the dollybirds on airplanes to assess which biological threat jokes are real or not.

You wouldnt be so quick to defend this gob****e if the damage he caused was coming out of your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well yeah I would, especially of the cup ended up in the bin. How was a steward supposed to know who had written it without investigating and starting the whole process that caused the delays Etc.
    What if she's written, caution bomb, is that different?

You ask.
    They explain.
    The story is all over.

Instead we get this farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

You'll get the same people giving out that we didn't take enough precautions once Ebola hit's here. Guaranteed

You just simply can't make "jokes" like that in a public place

People blaming airline staff, and saying they should lose their job, get real. Staff were put in an awkward position and had to make a call. They're not at fault because of the stupid actions of a wannabe comedian

Someone who makes a joke is a wannabe comedian ?

In that case anybody who does not think this whole thing is ridiculous does not have a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

seamus wrote: »
    So having a private joke between yourself and your child is exactly the same as travelling from an ebola-stricken country while suffering from severe ebola-like symptoms?

Do you actually happen to be the judge in this case? You seem as far removed from reality as he is.

A joke that affects 142 people on an airplane isn't all that private in my opinion. What's the point in putting protocols in place to deal with any potential ebola threat if no one bothers their arse following them?

kylith wrote: »
    First I just want to say that I agree that the way it was handled was over the top. This man did something stupid, that's all.

BUT, I can see it from the airline's point of view. If cases of Ebola had occurred and been traced back to the passengers on that plane and it was discovered that the cabin crew had seen a cup with Ebola written on it and they'd ignored it, or if they said they'd asked the guy whose cup it was and he said he was joking so they'd left it at that, then that airline would be in the sht for not taking it seriously.

Would he have to drip sweat all over you though? Would it be enough to brush your arm, or to touch your headrest or something else your skin would come in contact with. Hell, there are terrorist groups these days who wouldn't think twice about smearing a little infected poo under trolley handles to cause global panic.

Who would use a marker and a coffee cup to make any statement?
    I dont think anyone would be blaming an airline crew for not reacting to a cup with something written on it.

These terrorist groups probably dont advertise what they are up to by means of coffee cup comms.

A joke that affects 142 people on an airplane isn't all that private in my opinion. What's the point in putting protocols in place to deal with any potential ebola threat if no one bothers their arse following them?

I don't think the protocols had this in mind tbh.
    The word ebola isnt dangerous itself.

What would happen if I had a printout that had "EBOLA" written on it and I dumped it into the airline bin? Is that me up in court also?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

GreeBo wrote: »
    You ask.
    They explain.
    The story is all over.

Instead we get this farce.

Exactly. Anyway, when the story was explained to the Gardaí on the ground, why didn't theyput a stop to the farce as it was clearly just a misunderstanding. Did they really have to charge the man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭macmurph

Bring back the death penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This man is clearly worse than Hitler.

Bit harsh on the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Almost completely the stewards fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong - it sounds like the air hostess knew he obviously didn't have Ebola when he said he wrote it, and they then called the gardai to report it as a hoax? As in there was never any actual suspicion that he did have Ebola?

The cup said "Attention - Ebola".

Now do we want air hostesses to be the final arbitrator of whether the cup has an infectious disease on it, like it claims, or if its a "joke"?

What would happen if I had a printout that had "EBOLA" written on it and I dumped it into the airline bin? Is that me up in court also?
    If you put the word 'warning' in front of it and placed it around a container that frequently comes into contact with bodily fluids whilst in an enclosed space with numerous others then I would hope that you would be.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Who would use a marker and a coffee cup to make any statement?
    I dont think anyone would be blaming an airline crew for not reacting to a cup with something written on it.

These terrorist groups probably dont advertise what they are up to by means of coffee cup comms.

The point is, would you take the risk, if you were in the airline's position? On one hand it's probably some tit making a joke, but on the other hand it might be a warning and ignoring it could lead to many deaths. If it's a joke and you overreact to it no matter the outcome it's better than not reacting and it turning out to be a genuine warning/threat.

drumswan wrote: »
    The cup said "Attention - Ebola".

Now do we want air hostesses to be the final arbitrator of whether the cup has an infectious disease on it, like it claims, or if its a "joke"?

When it's explained that it's a joke it should be left at that. The jobsworth idiots that escalated it up to and including the judge all need a slap of a giant clown hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

If you put the word 'warning' in front of it and placed it around a container that frequently comes into contact with bodily fluids whilst in an enclosed space with numerous others then I would hope that you would be.:)

What if you saw someone coming out of the toilet with a t-shirt that said "Ebola Carrier", would you call for them to be arrested?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Did anyone check if he did have Ebola?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

This weekend my mission will be to find at least ten things that are really offensive to me and report these to the relevant authorities and get my fully-entitled compensation redress.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

First I just want to say that I agree that the way it was handled was over the top. This man did something stupid, that's all.

BUT, I can see it from the airline's point of view. If cases of Ebola had occurred and been traced back to the passengers on that plane and it was discovered that the cabin crew had seen a cup with Ebola written on it and they'd ignored it, or if they said they'd asked the guy whose cup it was and he said he was joking so they'd left it at that, then that airline would be in the sht for not taking it seriously.

Would he have to drip sweat all over you though? Would it be enough to brush your arm, or to touch your headrest or something else your skin would come in contact with. Hell, there are terrorist groups these days who wouldn't think twice about smearing a little infected poo under trolley handles to cause global panic.

Ah yeah, I think the airline has to take it seriously to a certain extent, but not to the level where planes are put out of service and the courts brought into it.

In all honesty, if that guy actually had ebola he would either a) tell the staff on the plane, or b) shut the hell up about it for the duration of the flight - he wouldn't write it on a cup and risk being found it if he had decided not to tell anyone.

I think, even if I was sitting beside him, I wouldn't be hugely worried given the unlikelihood of it being ebola, and then the unlikelihood of me catching it even if that guy was infected. If I became sick enough to need to go to a doctor over the following few weeks I'd certainly mention it, but I'm well aware that the risk of catching it have been blown out of all proportion by the media, and that even if a person here did catch it theres a very strong chance they'd be cured in a fairly straightforward way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

What would happen if i went to Starbucks and said my name was Ebola? Would they call me out on it?:P

Ranchu wrote: »
    When it's explained that it's a joke it should be left at that. The jobsworth idiots that escalated it up to and including the judge all need a slap of a giant clown hand.

Ah yeah sure. If i wrote that there was a bomb in the cargo hold on a napkin, handed it to a steward to put in the bin and they came across it while doing so, would that be cool too?

I could just explain it was a joke and they'd let me off? I think not.

simonw wrote: »
    What if you saw someone coming out of the toilet with a t-shirt that said "Ebola Carrier", would you call for them to be arrested?
    I wouldn't call for them to be arrested, but I would expect the airline to invoke the necessary protocols such a provocative statement would deserve, same as 'Hijacker at work' or 'I have a bomb' on a t-shirt would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

What a total over-reaction! Christ on a bike.

The point is, would you take the risk, if you were in the airline's position? On one hand it's probably some tit making a joke, but on the other hand it might be a warning and ignoring it could lead to many deaths. If it's a joke and you overreact to it no matter the outcome it's better than not reacting and it turning out to be a genuine warning/threat.

You're forgetting the concept of context. If one of your mates made a joke at your expense would you automatically cease all relations on the off chance that they meant to offend you? Better safe than sorry after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

The wording of the article makes it sound as if they wrote it on the cup then threw it in the bin and the steward just happened to spot it in the bin. What person who would want to subtlety alert someone to the possibility of ebola on a flight write it down, then go ah sure nevermind it's grand and just throw it into the bin? Surely the steward instead of hyperventilating and overreacting after looking at rubbish, could have investigated just a little bit further? It's an embarrassment to our justice system and to our country that the situation escalated to this in my opinion and stinks of one of those cases you'd roll your eyes at exclaim "Only in America!" upon reading normally. The world has gotten far too PC with more and more people turning into mindless drones being told what to do and how to react without forming their own opinion. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

Im going to write ' Contains Ebola' on a cup of coffee right this minute and show it to a colleague and put it in the bin.

Anybody heard from MonkeyTennis recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

md23040 wrote: »
    This weekend my mission will be to find at least ten things that are really offensive to me and report these to the relevant authorities and get my fully-entitled compensation redress.

I find your offensive nature offensive

Advertisement