Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ooni pizza ovens & accessories thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Just got an email to say my pizza oven is on its way! Now I need to start looking up pizza dough recipes for beginners.

I've no interest in these ovens.....we make pizzas using our regular oven on a Saturday night, every 2/3 weeks. Too much money to be only using once or twice a month.

Anyway, I've used quite a couple of recipes and the Odlums one is really straightforward. I can get 3 large thin pizzas out of the recipe.

https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/pizza/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

I've no interest in these ovens.....we make pizzas using our regular oven on a Saturday night, every 2/3 weeks. Too much money to be only using once or twice a month.

Anyway, I've used quite a couple of recipes and the Odlums one is really straightforward. I can get 3 large thin pizzas out of the recipe.

https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/pizza/

That's fine if that's what you want, home ovens don't get anywhere hot enough for good pizza though. Might as well stick to frozen pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

SteM wrote: »
    That's fine if that's what you want, home ovens don't get anywhere hot enough for good pizza though. Might as well stick to frozen pizzas.

Ah now it doesn't cook as well as using a proper pizza oven but saying it's no better than frozen. :confused:

If you're cooking pizza's that regularly even twice a month the Ooni is worth it though. You'll probably end up having them more often it's that much better out of it! I got a Ooni Karu in the summer I'm still using it every week often twice. The Ooni is actually quicker than using the oven. My Karu take's about 15 minutes to get up to temp with charcoal, gas would be a bit quicker. Oven is similar to get to 250, pizzas take 7 to 8 minute to cook in it. Pizzas in the Ooni take 90 second to 2 minutes so I can top and cook 3 pizza's in the ooni in the time it takes to cook one in the oven.

It's not just pizza you can cook on it fresh naan's are savage!

514783.jpg

514785.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

If anyone is ordering one, I have a favour to ask. I want to get a set of "shoes" for the ooni but the shipping is €20! (It's only free over 99)
    If anyone was willing to let me pay them €10 plus whatever postage in Ireland I would be grateful

I will be ordering some accessories off them t&c, but I think it won’t be till Feb or Mar. If you’re in no hurry I could add to my order for you :)

• Advertisement

I will be ordering some accessories off them t&c, but I think it won’t be till Feb or Mar. If you’re in no hurry I could add to my order for you :)

That would be amazing. Thanks. I'm in no rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

If anyone is ordering one, I have a favour to ask. I want to get a set of "shoes" for the ooni but the shipping is €20! (It's only free over 99)
    If anyone was willing to let me pay them €10 plus whatever postage in Ireland I would be grateful

Use the Ooni UK site and its free shipping for over 25 sterling

Use the Ooni UK site and its free shipping for over 25 sterling

Yeah the shoes I want are only a tenner. I ordered an oven and so on already but they were out of stock and they were unable to add it to my order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

What wood do you guys use for the Ooni Karu and where do you purchase it from?

What wood do you guys use for the Ooni Karu and where do you purchase it from?

I've just used charcoal so far. Keep meaning to get some hardwood kindling to try but only ever see softwood kindling for sale. May just pick up some hardwood logs and split them to size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 colinmis

Ryath wrote: »
    Ah now it doesn't cook as well as using a proper pizza oven but saying it's no better than frozen. :confused:

If you're cooking pizza's that regularly even twice a month the Ooni is worth it though. You'll probably end up having them more often it's that much better out of it! I got a Ooni Karu in the summer I'm still using it every week often twice. The Ooni is actually quicker than using the oven. My Karu take's about 15 minutes to get up to temp with charcoal, gas would be a bit quicker. Oven is similar to get to 250, pizzas take 7 to 8 minute to cook in it. Pizzas in the Ooni take 90 second to 2 minutes so I can top and cook 3 pizza's in the ooni in the time it takes to cook one in the oven.

It's not just pizza you can cook on it fresh naan's are savage!

514783.jpg

514785.jpg

The naan looks amazing, do you have a recipe? I'm waiting for delivery of a Karu and my wife if more excited about making naan's than pizzas :eek:

colinmis wrote: »
    The naan looks amazing, do you have a recipe? I'm waiting for delivery of a Karu and my wife if more excited about making naan's than pizzas :eek:

Can't find the link in my history and I forgot to bookmark it. Think it was this one. I googled and read a few at the time.
    https://www.cookwithmanali.com/restaurant-style-garlic-naan/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 colinmis

Thanks Ryath, looks good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭rob w

Really thinking about buying one of these. A question though.....

Where are people storing them when not in use/over winter. Is it a case of lugging them in and out when you want a pizza? Is there any kind of ideal setup where they could be left out permanently, under a canopy with a cover on for example?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I brought my one inside last winter and as a consequence it never got used, too much hassle to set up, etc. But this winter it is staying outside as I got a cover for it on the Ooni website, £25 with free shipping from the UK site iirc. It is made of good quality material that is weather proof. The oven is made from stainless steel anyway so it shouldnt rust. The cover also doubles as a carry bag if you want to transport it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I Tweeted them to ask for reduced shipping when ordering similar. They asked me to direct message them and they sent me a code for free shipping. :D So try that. ;)

rob w wrote: »
    Where are people storing them when not in use/over winter. Is it a case of lugging them in and out when you want a pizza? Is there any kind of ideal setup where they could be left out permanently, under a canopy with a cover on for example?
    I have mine stored on a Keter unit with an 80 litre backpack cover over it (£9 on Amazon). So far so good - it's grand there.

There is an Ooni thread if anyone is interested. ;) Well it's a pizza oven thread dominated by Ooni.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057609472&page=99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

How long is it taking people to receive their oven?

I was lucky to have mine dispatched before late-February, but I'm wondering if buying the flour and yeast was a bit over-zealous.

Ordered 30th November.
    Dispatched 8th December.
    Left Netherlands: 11th December.
    Arrived UK: 14th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

You might have it by the weekend. Which is my joint favourite time to make pizza. My other favourite time is during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Very tempted but one of the kids is coeliac and we have a separate oven for his food in the kitchen
    I would have to get 2 of these and can’t justify that at the moment

Anyone got any suggestions for homemade versions as I might try and build a double oven outdoors in the spring

• Advertisement

Very tempted but one of the kids is coeliac and we have a separate oven for his food in the kitchen
    I would have to get 2 of these and can’t justify that at the moment
    Would you buy a second stone and 500 degree heat proof gloves? Alternatively you could use one side of the stone for the GF pizzas and turn for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

OP here. Did anyone else buy a Fyra and are you still waiting for it to be delivered?

I had a few accessories purchased with it delivered but no sign of the oven yet!

Pipmae wrote: »
    Would you buy a second stone and 500 degree heat proof gloves? Alternatively you could use one side of the stone for the GF pizzas and turn for the rest.

No way are you going to be able to change the stone when it's heated up. It's kind of warm!

I'd personally think it would be fine to just cook the gluten free pizza first every time. Everything gets burnt off when it's heating up, there doesn't even be ash left. You can turn the stone before lighting every time you use it. The bottom then gets cleaned while using it. I don't turn mine every time though unless something actually burnt on to it.

That's what I will be doing (I'm the coeliac)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭AidenL

Mine was sent on the 7th December after being orders in August.

It’s been in Coventry GLS for over a week now with no status update. Anyone else seeing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Myself and my wife are Coeliacs!

Used my fyra last week for the first time, made pizzas with the Caputo Gluten Free Flour... Amazing!

I'm a coeliac since very young so have never had normal pizza so I can't compare but much better than the frozen pizzas you'd get.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Hi Newtown90, may I ask where you purchased the GF Caputo flour from?

Talguetler wrote: »

I bought it on Amazon - my sister is coeliac. It's expensive though - I'm sure you must be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Talguetler wrote: »

Amazon and yes its not cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

To the Coeliacs: I have a daughter who is coeliac (+ has Down Syndrome). Pizza is her favourite food. I'm sorry I didn't buy shares in Goodfellas frozen pizza years ago.
    Could someone message me a gf pizza base recipe please?

Advertisement