Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

manuhalo wrote: »
    My yearly contract with them has recently expired but I hate haggling on the phone. Plus I'd rather have something in writing that I can later quote in case of a dispute. Is it possible to negotiate these kind of deals online? Has anyone tried or succeeded?
    I imagine online is for customer support only but give it a try and report back, worse they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

In fairness UPC have good support IMO and I got my bill reduced by €15 when I rang up.
    Told them I wanted to get rid of the phone part, he said it only added an extra €2 but then proceeded to give me better deal -€15.
    You don't get anything better without giving out a little. They think you are a happy customer willing to pay the price otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Recently went through this process and got nowhere with upc chat, reps on boards here or on phone to accounts department.
    Had to talk to someone in loyalty dept and got a good enough deal to stay another year.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My time to cancel/renew. Got shafted last year with the boards deal (Signed up to the €50 for 6 months, €73 there after just before their €25 for 6 months, €73 there after deal came out), so trying to claim some of that back.

Loyalty team offered me €15 discount (€58 for 120mb unlimited, Horizon essentials, and a phone I dont use). Nothing great really. For the BB and TV I want/use it is only €10 cheaper than on their site, nothing fantastic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Dont go through the live chat on the website, I've never gotten anywhere with that. You're best to call and ask to be put through to the customer retention department. They'll be able to give you the best offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Got the following for my inlaws ( iam an authorised person on their account)

Digital value TV €32.50
    Multi room €8

total €40.50

less 50% discount for 12 months = €20.25
    less my upc discount €3.50

so paying €16.75 a month.

previously had been paying €27.98 a month. Their phone and broadband is with eircom and when it came to negotiating with upc told them we were thinking of upgrading to efibre and free evision for 12 months.

Didn't opt to get phone and BB with UPC as they do noy want or need HORIZON! they are happy with their basic cable box and get all the channels they need or want.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Lads, any advice on this. I'm in contract with them since June. Signed up for the €80 a month deal (TV, Internet, Phone) but first 6 months is €32. Asked them about the sports package at the time and got quoted the full whack, then a couple of weeks later the Sky sports for €1 comes out. Called them about getting a sports deal, but got nowhere. Had webchat about a deal and got nothing except being told that I'd have to pay €200 to cancel as I'd called Sky and was offered a better deal. Cancellation team is calling me on Mon. In your experience is it better to just cut my loses, pay the €200 move to Sky and watch my football happily or are they just playing hard-ball? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Lads, any advice on this. I'm in contract with them since June. Signed up for the €80 a month deal (TV, Internet, Phone) but first 6 months is €32. Asked them about the sports package at the time and got quoted the full whack, then a couple of weeks later the Sky sports for €1 comes out. Called them about getting a sports deal, but got nowhere. Had webchat about a deal and got nothing except being told that I'd have to pay €200 to cancel as I'd called Sky and was offered a better deal. Cancellation team is calling me on Mon. In your experience is it better to just cut my loses, pay the €200 move to Sky and watch my football happily or are they just playing hard-ball? Cheers

Play hardball re the Sky Sports offer. If you get for €1, it will now get you to the end of the footie season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You'll be signing up to a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

I got sky sports in for the ryder cup with intention to cancel it after the golf was over. Would like to keep it but not at 30 euro a month.

Anyone any experience on ringing to cancel sport package and getting for a reduced rate?

• Advertisement

dibs101 wrote: »
    I got sky sports in for the ryder cup with intention to cancel it after the golf was over. Would like to keep it but not at 30 euro a month.

Anyone any experience on ringing to cancel sport package and getting for a reduced rate?

they should offer you 20% reduction to keep ss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Paying 70 per month for Internet and TV, oh and my housemate so nicely only just the other day told me it includes the phone - which is only of use to her.

So she doesn't want to get rid of the TV or phone, neither of which I use, and won't off her arse to ask them for a deal or cancel. So is there any chance we can get something cheaper than what we're on. I don't care about moving providers but she wants me to do the leg work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Paying 70 per month for Internet and TV, oh and my housemate so nicely only just the other day told me it includes the phone - which is only of use to her.

So she doesn't want to get rid of the TV or phone, neither of which I use, and won't off her arse to ask them for a deal or cancel. So is there any chance we can get something cheaper than what we're on. I don't care about moving providers but she wants me to do the leg work.

You can do the leg work but she'll still have to contact UPC,be it to cancel or try to get a deal.You will need to be firm with her,even make the call & hand her the phone when they answer.

A mate of mine was with UPC (mmds) for years,a poor service compared to satellite and changed to Sky recently.He'll never go back despite UPC offering 12 months free Sports & Movies "to reward his years as a customer".

Oh I know it'll have to be her, that's the problem. She wrote them a letter a few months back, and that's all :rolleyes: so I asked about it the other day and she did end up making a call, and getting through to the cancellation team, but apparently got cut off. She said she uses the phone because you get 400 minutes with it, but it's 20 extra to get these 'free' minutes. She said herself she uses Skype so dunno why she's ok paying the 20 for that.

I'll have a look at the alternatives and give her the info, and just have to let her at it then. Even if we got that half price for 6 months I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 johnli10628

My contact ends in 4weeks, I'm on 73 a month with 120 BB, TV (few HD channels ), phone (150 free minutes), called them got 58 quote for next year for very same thing , tried push a little more but no joy!
    Do you guys think it's a good deal or not? Should I take it or wait for them call me back? Cheers!

they wont ring you back.

Best bet is to give your cancellation notice and leave it at that. Then they will ring you to ask why are you leaving...............reply better deal elsewhere.

you must give your cancellation

My contact ends in 4weeks, I'm on 73 a month with 120 BB, TV (few HD channels ), phone (150 free minutes), called them got 58 quote for next year for very same thing , tried push a little more but no joy!
    Do you guys think it's a good deal or not? Should I take it or wait for them call me back? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

How do you check how long is left on your contract?

Cyrus wrote: »
    How do you check how long is left on your contract?

just call them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

UPC are always calling me. I cancelled tv but kept the broadband a few months back.

My issue is not the price - for me its down to the hardware and the content.

I went through 3 UPC tv boxes in a year. Awful machines, buggy software.

Secondly the actual content on the channels is very poor. I don't watch soaps, x factor, reality tv etc.

BBC iplayer and netflix (all regions) has me covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone know if I send an e-mail to cancel and give my 30 day notice if they contact you again in this time and offer you a better deal or just allow the cancelation to go ahead?

Contract is up in 2 weeks and they say they can only offer me a €5 loyalty discount. I've rang on two occasions.

Also, if I give my 30 day notice, can I decide not to cancel or do I have to then go ahead with it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

PopTarts wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I send an e-mail to cancel and give my 30 day notice if they contact you again in this time and offer you a better deal or just allow the cancelation to go ahead?

Contract is up in 2 weeks and they say they can only offer me a €5 loyalty discount. I've rang on two occasions.

Also, if I give my 30 day notice, can I decide not to cancel or do I have to then go ahead with it?

Thanks.

I have given my 30 day notice twice. First they rang and gave it to me for half price. Second time I had to ring with a few days left. I said I would accept the offer they gave me after looking around. Can't remember what It was. But they could not find it. So gave it to me half price again (o; that's what I have now.

But my deal is 30mb BB, middle tv package and phone. The thing is I was prepared to lose the tv package, it did not bother me. So I just kept saying I don't want it. They actually made it hard for me to get rid of it ha ha. They 30mb might be the reason I have gotten it half price twice. The only thing that I really need is unlimited BB

So my advice to you. Is give them your 30 day notice. Hopefully they will ring with an offer. Ring them with a few days left and accept there offer. If your actually prepared to lose a part of your package. Go all the way with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Having the guaranteed income of a 12 month contract on their balance sheet is a plus for them (in general and for the person getting a renewal on their monthly total) or at worst the breaking of contract penalty so you're doing them a favour too.

Rang up today about my previous quote from a week or 2 ago, and was told it is no longer valid. Quoted me a new "deal" that was €3 a month more than before.

Just sent my cancellation email.

My housemate rang the other day and again said about cancelling, they said they'd lower it to 55 a month for 6 month, and back to 70 for the remainder. I think she thought it's a good deal, till I told reminded her they offer the same package for 53 a month to new AND existing customers.
    Why do they have to make it so hard. I'm going to ring them myself this week.

guys pull the trigger and give your cancellation.............they will ring you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I am out of contract since last month. On a E120 per month package and was disappointed with the reduction I was offered (E10 per month). Just served my cancellation notice so will see what that throws up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Never accept their first offer! Or second for that matter. I had to call them at least 5 times threatening to cancel before I got a decent deal.

Sometimes you get someone who won't budge and insists that €5 off is the best they can offer but keep trying and eventually you should get a decent deal.

I got the Horizon max package eventually for €35 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting thread...
    My contract just expired yesterday and was about to ring Eircom this week to get a better deal.
    I am paying 95 euro a month for 50mb internet and digital tv in 2 rooms. No sky sports or anything like that. Feel it's a rip off. Got an Eircom guy call to the house a few months ago to say I could get the same from them for 66 euro. Of course... still in contract at the time so what could you do.

But really interesting reading this thread. Gonna give UPC a call tomorrow and see if they can offer me a better deal.

• Advertisement

So UPC rang and gave me a better deal. Works out around €53 a month average (€5 less than their best offer before I cancelled), but 1) I was at work so couldn't really discuss and 2) they did the same package im on for an average of €50 a month previously. Since then i've had a few emails/texts/calls about collecting equipment.

The waiting game continues.

Advertisement