Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clear Mobile from Vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Who will sign up? Dissatisfied GOMO or 48 customers maybe.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As pointed out by AW in another tweet, for €2 more you get up to 10x the speed with post mobile. I just tried accessing clearmobile.ie

25-D4-DDC6-8-E18-403-B-B87-B-CE801-FF55-EC1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

beachhead wrote: »
    Who will sign up? Dissatisfied GOMO or 48 customers maybe.

People who don't use smart phones for much more than calls...

I can think of a few older relatives that will jump at this, as it'll cut their monthly bill in half, without having to sacrifice the Vodafone network coverage.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm with PM as I need VF reception. Why would I go near this? Why would anyone go near this? Absolute crap sounding.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Instagram: clearmobileIreland
    Twitter: @clearmobileIRE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 milkshine

Maybe they will sell SIMs on ebay as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

With 48 cheaper and gomo at a similiar price point currently you'd wonder why anyone but business users are paying more that 14 quid a month for a mobile bill anymore.
    Network coverage by and large is pretty similiar for most operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

garrettod wrote: »
    People who don't use smart phones for much more than calls...

I can think of a few older relatives that will jump at this, as it'll cut their monthly bill in half, without having to sacrifice the Vodafone network coverage.

But you would think older people would be more likely to prefer and sign up in the post office and have a number to call a human if there is issues. Clear mobile won't offer this. I really think they will struggle to get any sort of customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kippy wrote: »
    in
    Network coverage by and large is pretty similiar for most operators.

Not really. My parents live in Dublin and the only network which works reliably in their house is Vodafone, we tried all the other networks and no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not really. My parents live in Dublin and the only network which works reliably in their house is Vodafone, we tried all the other networks and no good.
    Same, vF only one that gives anything reasonable. Plus I found gomo became inconsistent when I had reception and speeds can vary as more users got added.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 milkshine

Can someone who will get this SIM post load for films and pictures will be? And how the performance is

Thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

DopeTech wrote: »
    But you would think older people would be more likely to prefer and sign up in the post office and have a number to call a human if there is issues. Clear mobile won't offer this. I really think they will struggle to get any sort of customer base.

I tried to get a SIM from An Post and it took over 6 weeks - the experience was rediculous, from first to last - so I for one, can understand why some people might not go to them (the result was, that I didn't).

I do take your point though, if An Post got their house in order, it should be a good offering.

Like Del2005, I'm also in Dublin (city, not even the outskirts), and the signal from Three is no where near reliable, where I live (same with a few family members).

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stcosmin

garrettod wrote: »
    I tried to get a SIM from An Post and it took over 6 weeks - the experience was rediculous, from first to last - so I for one, can understand why some people might not go to them (the result was, that I didn't).

I do take your point though, if An Post got their house in order, it should be a good offering.

Like Del2005, I'm also in Dublin (city, not even the outskirts), and the signal from Three is no where near reliable, where I live (same with a few family members).

For me moving my girl to An Post Mobile was OK. I have ordered the SIM on-line and I have received it in a couple of days. The switching part was a bit slow because I had to wait on the phone for more than 30 min to speak with an operator.
    Now I am frustrated that An Post Mobile SIM plan (15E/m) is faster than my Vodafone bill plan (35E/m).

This Clear Mobile is a no go for me with the 5 mbps limit. Better pay 2 E extra and get a better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Pointless exercise. Price point all beaten by Gomo,48 and Lycamobile.
    And slower network speeds:confused:

I find that there is a perception of better network coverage with VF, however at least in my local area they are dreadful and regular faults result in no service..

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Pointless exercise. Price point all beaten by Gomo,48 and Lycamobile.
    And slower network speeds:confused:

I find that there is a perception of better network coverage with VF, however at least in my local area they are dreadful and regular faults result in no service..

Yeah 10 years ago they used to be the best network by miles but eir and 3 have caught up. Now it's really area dependant on whether Vodafone is actually any better than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 walmon1977

5 mbps limit - it's the equivalent of dial up :-) and can only be used for light browsing. Very poor offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Has anyone gotten a sim and tried it out yet?

jdon72 wrote: »

Nope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

jdon72 wrote: »

Sim arrived yesterday morning and I was ported over in the the afternoon (as agreed)from Vodafone as I wanted to keep my old number. Sim works fine in the Vodafone locked handset and no APN changes were required.

Same coverage as before, but instead of paying the 20 euro a month for Vodafone X, I'm getting the same service for 12.99, so happy enough with that.

I know the download speed is supposed to be capped at 5Mbit, but with my Vodafone X, I was lucky to get even that. I did a few speed tests yesterday evening and am getting 6-7 Mbit down and 8 Mbit up, handy enough when I'm out and about as I'm not a heavy user.

So far so good, let's see how it goes when more sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Tried to switch mother from Vodafone PAYG to clear. Other networks result in a very weak signal, not a smart phone user. Not being allowed continue beyond details stage. Help online or elsewhere non existent. Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ussi

How are your experiences with them?

Are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Thanks OP bought the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

degsie wrote: »
    Thanks OP bought the lot!
    Greedy Bstard...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Switched 2 from Postmobile 20 per month to this Clearmobile offer, as I need the Vodafone signal. No issues, all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Switched 2 from Postmobile 20 per month to this Clearmobile offer, as I need the Vodafone signal. No issues, all good.

...but both post mobile and clear mobile use the Vodafone network :/

AngryLips wrote: »
    ...but both post mobile and clear mobile use the Vodafone network :/

...which is why he switched to the cheaper option on the same network.
    A2LUE42 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's a long thread on here about it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Anyone on Clear having issues with authentication messages? Thought they were fine until I needed one from revolut. Texts not coming through nor calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Caranica wrote: »
    Anyone on Clear having issues with authentication messages? Thought they were fine until I needed one from revolut. Texts not coming through nor calls

Vodafone customers were/are having this problem so wouldn't be surprised if same issue exists for Clear Mobile.

Advertisement