Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General election betting

• 15-01-2020 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

There’s always an angle or two in Election betting, I’m after a large bet by my standards n the simple market of most seats . In the last election Fine Gael got 50 and Fianna Fáil 44 .
    Since them with various movements it’s now Fine Gael 47 , Fianna Fáil 45 present seats .
    The local elections were good for Fianna Fáil and government issues with health , housing , crime etc in different parts of the country will see Fine Gael lose seats . I also feel in rural constituencies Sinn Fein will lose seats with their denial of traveller crime and general PC gone mad agenda . Theirs and Fine Gaels losses will in many instances will result in additional FF seats which will see them move ahead by about 6/7 seats to be the largest party handily enough .The ludicrous Black and Tan march idea from Charlie Flanagan was the icing on the cake for this bet which will make marginal Fine Gael seats losing seats for them . Fine Gael will do well enough in Dublin which is booming for those who own a house but rural Ireland and has been hugely neglected by Fine Gael and is in a far different state .backed at 5/6 and it’s still 8/11 . Will be 1/3 come Election Day .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Seems like this should either be moved to the politics or the general gambling forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

LuasSimon wrote: »
    There’s always an angle or two in Election betting, I’m after a large bet by my standards n the simple market of most seats . In the last election Fine Gael got 50 and Fianna Fáil 44 .
    Since them with various movements it’s now Fine Gael 47 , Fianna Fáil 45 present seats .
    The local elections were good for Fianna Fáil and government issues with health , housing , crime etc in different parts of the country will see Fine Gael lose seats . I also feel in rural constituencies Sinn Fein will lose seats with their denial of traveller crime and general PC gone mad agenda . Theirs and Fine Gaels losses will in many instances will result in additional FF seats which will see them move ahead by about 6/7 seats to be the largest party handily enough .The ludicrous Black and Tan march idea from Charlie Flanagan was the icing on the cake for this bet which will make marginal Fine Gael seats losing seats for them . Fine Gael will do well enough in Dublin which is booming for those who own a house but rural Ireland and has been hugely neglected by Fine Gael and is in a far different state .backed at 5/6 and it’s still 8/11 . Will be 1/3 come Election Day .

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=684

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

Whats the bet here - FF to be largest party at 8/11?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

carq wrote: »
    Whats the bet here - FF to be largest party at 8/11?

I would not be underestimating fg. They are even money.

Anything can happen , it will be a dirty campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I'd say FG will target Martin and constantly point out that he set up the HSE and was in the cabinet the time of the economic crash etc.

They will paint him as yesterdays man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Interesting read, but not sure how it relates to horse racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I've had a little nibble on FF/Green/Ind @12/1.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Horse Racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Interesting read, but not sure how it relates to horse racing?

Fair enough but Horseracing punters might bet on another event i thought. Id take an 8/11 winner in any discipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

"Time for a change"

Housing (The poor homeless tent chap from yesterday, now has life-changing injuries.)
    Health (More trolley records broken, take up Reiki or find a good chickenbones witchdoctor, if you can.)
    Insurance (Can't be bought, competitively. Slip on a grape? Congratulations.)
    Crime (It's all gone 'mafiosa'. If out in the sticks, lock your doors.)
    Illegal migration (Why so many war-torn {not at war} Albanians?)
    Childcare (€€€ costs and scandals.)

FF. (Most seats) bit short, outside of accas (BP@1.73).
    However 3.5wks is still a long time in politics, and a Saturday event could be a unknown variable.

• Advertisement

FF (most seats) now down to between 1.44 and 1.5, starting to look like they have it in the bag.
    Election day might well be 1.25-1.33 (as suggested 1/3 above) type of price, the way the country is going.

Reduced further again, now just average of 1.20 for FF most seats.
    The best price from just a few days ago (1.73) appears to be long gone.

G1FDp8g.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Great shout, I had debated putting a 100 quid at 8/11 on it but prevaricated to my folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Reduced further again, now just average of 1.20 for FF most seats.
    The best price from just a few days ago (1.73) appears to be long gone.

G1FDp8g.png

Got on at 1.5 myself but the previous day I went to a ladbrokes shop to get the 1.73 but they told me that was a uk price and they dont do irish politics here. The 1.5 was in paddy as was the only other shop around me.

I would be hedging the FG price if I was anyone on FF at anything around evens. It is still 3 full working weeks until the election, so much can happen and these prices will change. It is a great opportunity for anyone on FF at some of the more juicier FF prices to buy themselves a free bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

3/1 Leo to stay on is great value for me. Thoughts?

franglan wrote: »
    3/1 Leo to stay on is great value for me. Thoughts?
    This singular source of 4.0 is a significant advantage over anywhere else, could be a useful acca builder offset (if already got FF 1.72+).

As a small 'wildcard' option would also add the 8.0 for Warren (for DN) across the pond. Think she'll easily beat the two leaders (the old man and creepy hair-sniffer). Ultimately DT will easily win again, but these are longer term markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Anyone like to speculate on make up of next gov?

Martin 1/16 to be leader but how will he get his 80 seats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Anyone like to speculate on make up of next gov?

Martin 1/16 to be leader but how will he get his 80 seats?

Small bet on FF-Lab-Green-SocDems at 14/1 with PP. My own prediction would have that lot getting 75-80 so could possibly need an independent or 2 too. But good value I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Small bet on FF-Lab-Green-SocDems at 14/1 with PP. My own prediction would have that lot getting 75-80 so could possibly need an independent or 2 too. But good value I thought.

That’s what I backed too.

Based on their rules if there is independents involved in that coalition it would be a winner as long as none of the independents are ministers.

• Advertisement

That’s what I backed too.

Based on their rules if there is independents involved in that coalition it would be a winner as long as none of the independents are ministers.

You would have to worry about either Shane Ross or Katherine Zappone assuming either get in. They would definitely be looking to be in the picture if they support a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pearse doherty highest first prefs, was 10/11 last night, now 8/11 on boyles. Paddys market on same seems to be suspended.

He's going to get somewhere between 1.5-2 quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

retalivity wrote: »
    Pearse doherty highest first prefs, was 10/11 last night, now 8/11 on boyles. Paddys market on same seems to be suspended.

He's going to get somewhere between 1.5-2 quotas.

Balls...21,044, 2nd to Denise Mitchell with 21,344

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Ff are 5/6 to have under 45.5 total seats, experts are saying their total will be 42, could be a good bet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

In hindsight, this was a great shout as it went off about 1/10 (and won too obviously).
    However, given the margin of victory and the manner FF crawled over the line, it would appear the 5/6 at the time of the tip was a fairly accurate price.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Is another election not very very very likely now?

Advertisement