Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone use these rat traps?

• 25-07-2019 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

Watched a few videos of this rat trap: https://www.automatictraps.ie/

Look simple and effective. Has anyone here used it or have any feedback on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Why not use rat bait?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Can they be got in Ireland. I think that’s an amazing invention

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Why not use rat bait?
    Cause owls, buzzards and other birds pick up the poisoned rats/mice either to eat or feed to their chicks which causes them to die.
    Early last year I bought an electronic rat trap/killer similar in style to the mouse one that I bought a few years ago. The mouse one was very effective but I had difficulty encouraging the rats into the trap.

The reason that I bought them was
    1. You can throw the dead mice/rats onto a shed roof for the birds to eat.
    2. I cannot set a spring trap cause I keep thinking it's going to snap my fingers either when I'm setting it, putting it in place or even just looking at it :o

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/procter-electronic-rat-killer.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyerpBRD9ARIsAH-ITn-wslnTMVbXyPfdL2i-nK0dIA4pfL3JFDuFkD3Q_iJpWOXX1XJLDRcaAkjTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    Cause owls, buzzards and other birds pick up the poisoned rats/mice either to eat or feed to their chicks which causes them to die.
    Early last year I bought an electronic rat trap/killer similar in style to the mouse one that I bought a few years ago. The mouse one was very effective but I had difficulty encouraging the rats into the trap.

2. I cannot set a spring trap cause I keep thinking it's going to snap my fingers either when I'm setting it, putting it in place or even just looking at it :o

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/procter-electronic-rat-killer.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyerpBRD9ARIsAH-ITn-wslnTMVbXyPfdL2i-nK0dIA4pfL3JFDuFkD3Q_iJpWOXX1XJLDRcaAkjTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Found a dead owl in the yard a few years ago.
    Haven’t put down bait since

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have one for about 5 years now, very effective. I would recommend getting one with a counter as you don't know how many animals have been dispatched and scavenged. You get 24 kills from a single 16g cartridge and the counter lets you know when to replace the cartridge.
    The new ALP system is a lot better than the old bottle type system as you can get 6 mths from the pump.
    They are introducing a new Bluetooth attachment soon that lets you know when and how many shots the trap has fired to your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Where can it be got. Online I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, looks like you can get them from the website I linked.
    I wanted to avoid bait as I'm worried about other animals eating it or possibly second hand poisoning as mentioned above.
    I haven't seen the rats much, just one last year and my other half spotted one last week.
    They are digging a lot in the front garden, some pretty big entrance holes in some places.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these last night. What bait did you use?
    Peanut butter smeared over the holes on the inside. Let it come through the holes to the outside to encourage them/get the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Peanut butter smeared over the holes on the inside. Let it come through the holes to the outside to encourage them/get the taste.

Set it only 20 minutes ago and light flashing already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Set it only 20 minutes ago and light flashing already

Keep us updated..... mouse or rat.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Set it only 20 minutes ago and light flashing already

Mouse or rat. Big or small?

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Mouse or rat. Big or small?

Nothing calving so no chance of me going back out to the shed. Can wait til the morning as I’m sure whichever it is will still be there.

Masala wrote: »
    Keep us updated..... mouse or rat.?

False alarm- light flashing but nothing in it ????

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, looks like you can get them from the website I linked.
    I wanted to avoid bait as I'm worried about other animals eating it or possibly second hand poisoning as mentioned above.
    I haven't seen the rats much, just one last year and my other half spotted one last week.
    They are digging a lot in the front garden, some pretty big entrance holes in some places.

At this time of year rats' lairs get flooded and they are homeless, cold and flooding (and hunger) forcing them closer to humans. They dislike us as much as we dislike them. Personally I take great care never to "corner" a rat...........a lesson left me by my late father. However rats live in complex matriarchal family arrangements, appear conscious of mortality, and there is evidence they mourn their dead. They're food to some species, and they eat others.

I used big bait-and-snap traps............reluctantly!..........a few years ago. Pressure from farmer neighbours was "put down bait". I would never do that. As a teenager I monitored the decline of the peregrine falcon in the Wicklow Mountains as a result of eating (and feeding their chicks with) poisoned prey. Bait is never never an answer. It throws the ecological balance off-kilter. Neighbours who BROUGHT me rat-bait (which I refused) came a year later to wonder why Greater Tufted Barn-Owls had reared three healthy juveniles on my tiny patch..........and that TWO nesting pairs of kestrels had raised their chicks in trees on my land. If they stopped putting down rat-bait to keep their cow-sheds clear of rodents, THEN the barn-owls and other raptors would come back. As Joni Mitchell says in her song "Don't it always seem to be/That you don't know what you've got till its gone".

Don't worry about the rats. They are as keen to avoid humans, as we humans are to avoid them. A great natural arrangement. I'm sure that, as soon as the heavy rains and sleets of winter abate, they will move away from your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Chisler2 wrote: »
    At this time of year rats' lairs get flooded and they are homeless, cold and flooding (and hunger) forcing them closer to humans. They dislike us as much as we dislike them. Personally I take great care never to "corner" a rat...........a lesson left me by my late father. However rats live in complex matriarchal family arrangements, appear conscious of mortality, and there is evidence they mourn their dead. They're food to some species, and they eat others.

I used big bait-and-snap traps............reluctantly!..........a few years ago. Pressure from farmer neighbours was "put down bait". I would never do that. As a teenager I monitored the decline of the peregrine falcon in the Wicklow Mountains as a result of eating (and feeding their chicks with) poisoned prey. Bait is never never an answer. It throws the ecological balance off-kilter. Neighbours who BROUGHT me rat-bait (which I refused) came a year later to wonder why Greater Tufted Barn-Owls had reared three healthy juveniles on my tiny patch..........and that TWO nesting pairs of kestrels had raised their chicks in trees on my land. If they stopped putting down rat-bait to keep their cow-sheds clear of rodents, THEN the barn-owls and other raptors would come back. As Joni Mitchell says in her song "Don't it always seem to be/That you don't know what you've got till its gone".

Don't worry about the rats. They are as keen to avoid humans, as we humans are to avoid them. A great natural arrangement. I'm sure that, as soon as the heavy rains and sleets of winter abate, they will move away from your home.

But in the meantime ??

I’m all for animal welfare and generally go beyond the call but the buck stops with rats. Hate the bast**ds and will do whatever it takes to get rid of them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ah rats are cool. I just don't want them anywhere near my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Did the trap work yet? Im thinking of getting one or two for around the farm. Im not a fan of using poison

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kangaroolala

Very efficient, you can use peanut as your prey.

• Advertisement

Did the trap work yet? Im thinking of getting one or two for around the farm. Im not a fan of using poison

To be honest, I think the poison worked first. I had poison down a week before I got the trap and I saw none the last few nights (watching on camera).

I got two mice!! Have the mouse version the past couple of years in the house and serious yokes to catch mice so assume rat trap would be similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Bought one. Quick question but - Does the green light stay on all of the time or only when you insert the batteries (it flashed for a few seconds)? Have the trap down a wee while and no joy yet! Mouse droppings inside of it and peanut butter cleaned:-(

quidel wrote: »
    Bought one. Quick question but - Does the green light stay on all of the time or only when you insert the batteries (it flashed for a few seconds)? Have the trap down a wee while and no joy yet! Mouse droppings inside of it and peanut butter cleaned:-(
    The light goes off about 5 seconds after you turn it on. It flashes when there is a dead rat/mouse in it.
    You did turn it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

The light goes off about 5 seconds after you turn it on. It flashes when there is a dead rat/mouse in it.
    You did turn it on?

Yea, it’s turned on. Just a very crafty mouse it would appear. I’m sure it’s luck will run out soon enough! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Rats could be cool, and I am not against them but what they are doing at my home this summer? Usually, it is a perception that rats come into houses in winter to get some warm place to live and eat, but why a big sized rat want to live in our home? When I searched online, then it came into my knowledge from here that rats or rodents also relocate in summers because they warmth habitats are not suitable for the summer season. However, they still can infest your home or even pets. Yes, we have a dog at home.

Again, though I am not against these rats but in this coronavirus pandemic, I really want to get rid of these rats. I tried many methods to force them to leave our house like the use of strong smells, etc., but it didn't work. Now, I am looking for traps. I found several rat traps here, but I am confused about their sizes. Do you think small traps can catch a big rat? Or I would have to go with significant trap options?

Secondly, what are your views about glue traps? Do you think they work better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Rats could be cool, and I am not against them but what they are doing at my home this summer? Usually, it is a perception that rats come into houses in winter to get some warm place to live and eat, but why a big sized rat want to live in our home? When I searched online, then it came into my knowledge from here that rats or rodents also relocate in summers because they warmth habitats are not suitable for the summer season. However, they still can infest your home or even pets. Yes, we have a dog at home.

Again, though I am not against these rats but in this coronavirus pandemic, I really want to get rid of these rats. I tried many methods to force them to leave our house like the use of strong smells, etc., but it didn't work. Now, I am looking for traps. I found several rat traps here, but I am confused about their sizes. Do you think small traps can catch a big rat? Or I would have to go with significant trap options?

The sonic plugs are quite effective deterants in a house or in yards. One per room. Can be got in the coop... like below
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hygiene/Pest-Control/Sonic-Mouse--Rat-Repeller-Small-0512969

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

49801 wrote: »
    The sonic plugs are quite effective deterants in a house or in yards. One per room. Can be got in the coop... like below
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hygiene/Pest-Control/Sonic-Mouse--Rat-Repeller-Small-0512969

I bought one for the meal house. I seen a mouse sitting on it one morning. Gimmick imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Jjameson wrote: »
    I bought one for the meal house. I seen a mouse sitting on it one morning. Gimmick imo.

I wouldnt be a fan either having used one in the past plenty traps online

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Needlessly cruel. Just kill it and get it over with plus they are indiscriminate, catching things that aren't rats.

• Advertisement

Needlessly cruel. Just kill it and get it over with plus they are indiscriminate, catching things that aren't rats.
    They are also illegal to use in Ireland.

Advertisement