Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was that not the case with the mart all the Time? Generally go after 4 here edit to say i mean 4 weeks , the extra week or two can add 100 euro depending on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Mooooo wrote: »
    Was that not the case with the mart all the Time? Generally go after 4 here

New regs. Incl farm to farm sales. Just the tip of the iceberg imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

That 10 day rule can't come quick enough otherwise mart will be dumping ground for the jex yokes.there was some scandalous poor calves in Thurles yesterday.thin and miserable and couldn't be more than a week old.their navels were very fresh.the more of these things that are bred will do nothing for the image off Irish farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Will lads not just back date the date of birth? Wouldn't normally sell calves under ten days here unless it was for someone who has lost a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Current legislation states that a calf has to be 10 days old to travel over 100kms of a journey. There is no age requirement for journeys under 100kms
    However in all cases calves should not be transported until - "the umbilicus is dry and shrivelled and the skin beneath the navel is completely healed over"
    Calves should not be accepted at a mart or by a haulier unless the above condition is met and they are fit/healthy to travel.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/transportofliveanimals/Guidelines_WelfareOfAnimalsDuringTransport.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

boggerman1 wrote: »
    That 10 day rule can't come quick enough otherwise mart will be dumping ground for the jex yokes.there was some scandalous poor calves in Thurles yesterday.thin and miserable and couldn't be more than a week old.their navels were very fresh.the more of these things that are bred will do nothing for the image off Irish farming.

What was the trade like.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

€38 for white fr bulls and €88 black fr bulls we sent to Fermoy today. Trade sounds like it collapsed. Still beats shooting them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

farisfat wrote: »
    What was the trade like.

I sold 11 Fr.bull calves.born from 27 Jan to7th Feb.averaged €80 each.once I was sold I left.look up midtippmart.com for prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

boggerman1 wrote:

I'll be there next Monday offloading 20 angus calves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

10 friesians sold here last week, 3 weeks, avg 155, highest made 215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Got from €30-80 euro for a mix of jex and frx calves in the yard this morning, 10-14days old. It will save me a trip to the mart anyway.
    The buyer bought calves last year, was happy with them he brings them to finish as steers as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

yewtree wrote: »
    Got from €30-80 euro for a mix of jex and frx calves in the yard this morning, 10-14days old. It will save me a trip to the mart anyway.
    The buyer bought calves last year, was happy with them he brings them to finish as steers as far as I know.

Thanks for that I have a guy coming Monday to buy bull calves

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

Two week old AA bull for 220e out of the yard today.

Oul boy was in New ross at 7 this morning. Queued for an hour before unloading. 400 lots in before him. He met a neighbour when he was leaving who was at the same point in the queue that he was when he arrived iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Oul boy was in New ross at 7 this morning. Queued for an hour before unloading. 400 lots in before him. He met a neighbour when he was leaving who was at the same point in the queue that he was when he arrived iykwim.

Spent 10mins queuing in carnew just there, 300 before me, heading home now, only brought them myself because I need to come this way anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    Spent 10mins queuing in carnew just there, 300 before me, heading home now, only brought them myself because I need to come this way anyways.

Did you go to enniscorthy after?
    There were 900 lots on offer I believe.

No queues here, just sold some calves
    16 Fr Bulls €1600
    8 He Bulls €300
    6 He Heifers €250

Guy coming this pm to buy some more He calves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Did you go to enniscorthy after?
    There were 900 lots on offer I believe.

Didn't bother, none of my milkers around Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

No queues here, just sold some calves
    16 Fr Bulls €1600
    8 He Bulls €300
    6 He Heifers €250

Guy coming this pm to buy some more He calves
    40 e for he bulls?

40 e for he bulls?

Lol they were small ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lol they were small ;)

Oh :o late-night.

85 for mixed lots of Ho bulls.
    230 for small aa bull.
    340 for bb bull.

Might be doing better out of the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I was in macroom today and skib yesterday would not get much of a fr bull for 120 the shippers nearly tearing each other apart for them, there is a young girl about 18 years buying for a shipping crowd she is hard as the road she takes no **** and knows her job she brought 60 calves out of skib yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Getting 160 out of yard for 3 week old ho fr bull calves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

What2 wk old fr heifer calves for breeding making

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

milkprofit wrote: »
    What2 wk old fr heifer calves for breeding making

380 for 4 week old with papers

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any Angus calf prices this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any Angus calf prices this week?

Lots of supply this week, heard of 200-250 from yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Lots of supply this week, heard of 200-250 from yard.

did any one else get a text from prog gen about buying angus calves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭visatorro

Got offered 65 for what I'd consider strong three week old fr calves. Would be going for export. I didn't deal but might have to deal yet. Heard very bad reports from mart a couple of weeks ago.

Advertisement