Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature medicine 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Enda62

Beans,

You little star!!!

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ahorseortwo

Just got an email here , unsuccessful but was expecting it so not disappointed in the slightest.

Good luck to all those with RCSI atop their list.

Got the e mail. I'm on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BeansandToast

Enda62 wrote: »
    Got the e mail. I'm on Tuesday!

I'm Wednesday it seems.

Rang trinity, the lady at the admissions didn't seem to know

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NASHSE1

Got knocked out but wasnt to hopeful . Anyway ive did loads of aptitude tests for many emergency services ans still doing them so trying my best with all sectors of emergency . Sincerest best of luck to those heading in on tuesday or wednesday remember that youve done well to get this far so pat yourself on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Hi Folks,
    Just wondering what mature points relate to percentiles in HPAT 2016. Could I ask people to publish their results here. Repeated the HPAT here and wondering will points go up or down this year.

Trinity interview results out. I haven't checked mine as I'm in work. I'll check mine after.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mostlycircles

Hi all! I hope everyone has heard back from some university or another by now :) I had completely given up hope by now and actually started applying for other courses and then BOOM- just got an email from cork with an interview offer! Can you believe it? There's hope yet! I hope those of you who were feeling just as discouraged also get the good news today! :)

Hi all! I hope everyone has heard back from some university or another by now :) I had completely given up hope by now and actually started applying for other courses and then BOOM- just got an email from cork with an interview offer! Can you believe it? There's hope yet! I hope those of you who were feeling just as discouraged also get the good news today! :)

Fantastic to hear circles! I got the offer from trinity there yesterday, so that's my run finally over. Took a good while but it's all good now. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ahhno

Hey. First post! Wish I had seen this sooner as I've been stressing so much over the last few weeks waiting! Had my interview with RCSI today but by the looks of it I won't be hearing from any other colleges. Anyone else have theirs today? How did you feel about it after?

• Advertisement

Hi ahhno,

Didn't sit RCSI, but a friend of mine did. He said there was a no show for the guy before him, so you can already increase your odds a little bit!

He said it went well, he was a bit nervous, but they got off to a good start. They talked about his thesis, why RCSI, why now, etc. The usuals.

Best of luck with it, from what I'm aware UCD haven't gotten on to anyone, and I don't think anyone in this thread has heard anything off NUIG, despite my previous comments (if you read them).

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ahhno

Hi ahhno,

Didn't sit RCSI, but a friend of mine did. He said there was a no show for the guy before him, so you can already increase your odds a little bit!

He said it went well, he was a bit nervous, but they got off to a good start. They talked about his thesis, why RCSI, why now, etc. The usuals.

Best of luck with it, from what I'm aware UCD haven't gotten on to anyone, and I don't think anyone in this thread has heard anything off NUIG, despite my previous comments (if you read them).

Best of luck with it!

Yeah I saw that but considering my awful HPAT score compared to 17 year old me's score I don't think I'll be considered by NUIG! Thanks for the info! I guess its just more of the waiting game now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kazbaz

Hi all! Congrats to everyone who got an offer to study med this year. I am hoping to apply for next year and would love to go back to Trinity as I already have a degree from there and loved it there. Out of all the med courses, I also like the structure of the TCD course best.

Could anyone who got an offer for Trinity give me advice regarding the personal statement? Also, what type of questions are asked at the interview?

Any advice that anyone could offer me would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciara33

Hi all, this is my first post - many thanks to Enda62 for setting this up!

I am a very mature (40's) medicine hopeful. This year was my first time to apply, unsuccessful but by God have I learnt a lot in the process!

Hpat result wasn't great at 150 and not hopeful I can improve on that too much in 2017 so RCSI is probably my most realistic option. Going to re sit LC Chemistry in 2017 so that I can meet requirements for the 5 year degree,, as with my age I really can't afford to be losing time!

I already have LC Higher Biology but my question is this: should I retake it also as I only have a C in it? Or does in matter??? Also, given that my LC results won't be out till Aug is that too late for them eg RCSI to take into consideration?

Head melted so any advice you guys could give me would be gratefully received!

Ciara33 wrote: »
    Hi all, this is my first post - many thanks to Enda62 for setting this up!

I am a very mature (40's) medicine hopeful. This year was my first time to apply, unsuccessful but by God have I learnt a lot in the process!

Hpat result wasn't great at 150 and not hopeful I can improve on that too much in 2017 so RCSI is probably my most realistic option. Going to re sit LC Chemistry in 2017 so that I can meet requirements for the 5 year degree,, as with my age I really can't afford to be losing time!

I already have LC Higher Biology but my question is this: should I retake it also as I only have a C in it? Or does in matter??? Also, given that my LC results won't be out till Aug is that too late for them eg RCSI to take into consideration?

Head melted so any advice you guys could give me would be gratefully received!

Hi Ciara33!

Could I ask what you learned thorougout the process of applying this year? I didn't apply because I knew I had no chance of getting it this year but am going to be applying for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciara33

Hi Kazbaz!

Things I learned, which I imagine are fairly common to most people in this boat:

- start Hpat preparation early e.g. from Sept at the very least. I crammed this into 3 weeks in Feb, not a good plan!
    - don't underestimate how long it takes to get all your docs together and to a satisfactory standard eg references, CV etc - you may need lots of time to review and tweak
    - its never too early to start your Personal Statement, don't wait to start it until you are asked for it!
    - I realised I don't have enough volunteer work under my belt - I have some, but not medically or patient care related, so am going to ensure I put some time into rectifying that

hope that helps you a bit!

Thanks a million Ciara33!! :)

If anyone else has any advice, it would be much appreciated!!

Hi folks,

Sorry, It's been awhile..... Few days in the sun!!

Ciara33, thanks for the mention! ( I started the post the evening after I sat the HPAT😁) more so just to link in with others and share experience.

Here's what I've learned so far from the experience. ( I'm a 1st time applicant)

A few tips/my experience going through the process this year:
    -Start collecting the relevant documents that will be required for your application early. ( is in during the summer!!) It takes the pressure off when it comes to focusing on the actual HPAT.
    - Invest in the past HPAT papers from acer. Practice under exam conditions at 1st. This will show your strong section and the section where you may need to focus on. Plan to increase your weakest section 1st.
    - Read problem/quiz books. Not necessarily HPAT specific but this will start to get you in that mind set.
    - I didn't invest in any course as felt it's a bit of a money racket. But have heard of others that found them helpful. I managed to get a steady improvement myself by just repeat practice over time.
    - Go to the mature entry open days. Some very useful advise and info, also give some good advice on how to prepare your statement and what they are looking for in an application!
    - start thinking of your financial plan (always a sensitive subject but it is something to consider and plan for early)
    - trust yourself....... May people in your life will tell you your crazy to do this "at this age"

Good luck, PM me if you want to ask anything else

Check e-mail...... RCSI offers are out!!

Accepted an offer from RCSI yesterday.
    Long road to get here. But worth it in the end.
    Hope to see some of you soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Benjamin011

Hi everybody,

I've been roaming through boards in search of an up to date thread regarding loans available for mature entry tuition. It seems that they are hard to come by based on posts from approx 4-6 years ago. However, I'm wondering if the current economic climate has influenced the banks willingness to provide/have any of the universities established a structured loan package for mature entrants similar to those available for GEMs?

Thanks!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

HI All,

Only finding this thread now!
    Congrats to everyone who got offered a place. Have accepted my place to study at RCSI (cancelled my interview for Cork today).
    Anybody else going to RCSI? Us matures need to stick together to bully those chung wans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hey Lee!

Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone had their interview in UCC yesterday? Any idea when we will hear back? Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alreadyinuse

Hi guys!

First time posting but I've only just found this thread so been creeping back through all the info!

Congrats to all those of you who have been offered places and best of luck with the courses!

Can I ask anyone who was interviewed at RCSI - were you asked about any of your other CAO choices at all after the 2 interviews??

Also good luck to those of you still waiting to hear from cork didn't realise they're interviews were yest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for awhile and meant to post so many times and just got really busy. So after interviews with NUIG, RCSI and UCD I am FINALLY going in to medicine! So unbelievably excited but absolutely terrified at the prospect of it.

Looking forward to meeting some of you RCSI people in a few months!

And for those unsuccessful this year, DO NOT GIVE UP! I have interviewed at every medical school over the past 3 years so get feedback, fill in the gaps and apply again if you're hell bent on medicine.

Hey Lee! wrote: »
    Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone had their interview in UCC yesterday? Any idea when we will hear back. Thanks a million!

Hey, Hey!

I had my interview on Tuesday and don't know when we'll hear back as I didn't ask but, there was a girl there who did it last year and she said it was on a Tuesday too and successful candidates were informed by that Friday unsuccessful ones just don't hear anything (how rude! Haha) so IF it's the same this year, then fingers crossed for you and I tomorrow!!

Anyone hear from UCC yet...? Hope is starting to dwindle a bit here.. :-/

Quick question for everyone... Does anyone get in on their first attempt? (I'm being very optimistic by the sounds of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alreadyinuse

kazbaz wrote: »
    Quick question for everyone... Does anyone get in on their first attempt? (I'm being very optimistic by the sounds of it)

I've known people who have but you really need to have all your ducks in a row by the sounds of it! - ideally have a scientific/healthcare related degree, work exp, and nail the interview!? It seems most people on here anyway get in on the second or so attempt.

People do get in on a first attempt though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dark-ashes

Can anyone tell me what they got on ACER practice hpat and then in hpat? Is it realistic score in practice?

Just did the first practice one there and got 197.

Advertisement