Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Stories in English Books in the 80s

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I seem to remember a story about a boy who kicked over a faerie fort or something and was condemned to having thorns appear in his bed every night or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

Quite a bump on this thread - but I have a related question please!

Buddy of mine was asking about a story which he thinks was in the Exploring English Inter Cert book, or another school text book from the 1970s. Can't remember the title or the author, but the gist of the story is as follows:

A lad goes to Dublin Castle (or similar) for a job. When he arrives, he's told to sit in a room and wait for someone to come for him. He waits all day, but nobody comes.
    He goes back the following day, this time he's prepared and brings his newspaper and sandwiches. But still nobody came.
    At the end of the first week, he's sitting in the room when someone finally comes in....and hands him a wage packet!
    The days pass into weeks, weeks into months......
    ....and he retired today, still sitting in the room!

Does it ring any bells for anyone? (sounds like a Frank O Connor, but that's just a wild guess on my part!).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i remember a story from secondary which was a kind of Sliding Doors tale
    it was about an Irish mother and her only son who she adored and at the end of it the son comes down the hill too quickly and rather than hit their chicken he swerves and is killed and the mother in her grief says he should have run it over and she would still have her only son
    Then the story is told from the point of view that he did kill the chicken and the mother knows he did it and never talks to him again

also i remember there was a story by H.G.Wells about a man in Victorian England who was able to make artificial diamonds but was destitute because he couldn't sell them for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Firetrap wrote: »
    I just googled First Confession and found this web page that has the texts for Janey Mary, First Confession and the Confirmation Suit on it. :

Thanks for that. I haven't read those stories for years and years but I found myself still being able to anticipate the stories and dialogue by memory. The Behan one always made me so sad at the ending and First Confession is such a classic:

"Is it, father? "I asked with the deepest interest-I was always very keen on hanging. "Did you ever see a fellow hanged?"

"Dozens of them," he said solemnly. "And they all died roaring."

"Jay ! " I said.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

komodosp wrote: »
    I seem to remember a story about a boy who kicked over a faerie fort or something and was condemned to having thorns appear in his bed every night or something...

Hah, just been reading through this thread with that exact story in mind :)

I remember thinking it was hilariously funny for some reason that he hopped into bed and hopped straight out again because of the pins / thorns. I used to always check my bed then just in case and wonder why he didn't remove them as he got in...

I would love to see the book that it was in. I think it may have been the same one that had the story about David and the Lion, he removed the thorn from the paw, then he was captured by the Romans and stuck in the arena to fight the lion, but the lion remembered who was and didn't attack.

And it also may have had the story of Samson and Delilah.

Perhaps it was a religion book but I thought it was English, especially if there was a story of fairies.

Oh yeah, another one coming back to me now about a miser.

I reckon it was 2nd class, 1987/88.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I've been racking my brains since yesterday trying to remember the name of my readers some of those same stories came up but I was in primary school until 1994.

I had the silver lining in 5th class and the golden sunset in 6th class.
    The first confession story was in one of these books. There was also another story set in dublin about a girl and her doll came to life and ran across one of the bridges along the quays they had a photo of Ormond Quay (I think) as one of pictures that accompanied the story.

Between 1st and 4th class I had the witches broom and the magic pencil. I remember that fairy ring story as well (I'm not sure if it was also in one of these books)! There was also a story about a man who kidnapped bad children and put then in a sack on his back! very strange.

My 1st class book was 'away to fairyland' there was a poem or song in the book (one of the first that i learned in school) which is the way to fairyland to fairyland I want to go to fairyland to dance by the light of the moon (we were made sing this on repetition nearly all year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I've been racking my brains since yesterday trying to remember the name of my readers some of those same stories came up but I was in primary school until 1994.

I had the silver lining in 5th class and the golden sunset in 6th class.
    The first confession story was in one of these books. There was also another story set in dublin about a girl and her doll came to life and ran across one of the bridges along the quays they had a photo of Ormond Quay (I think) as one of pictures that accompanied the story.

thank you for reminding me of that story! it was in one of my English books too in 5th or 6th class. The story was called "The Bookshop on the Quay" by Patricia Lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

gipi wrote: »
    A lad goes to Dublin Castle (or similar) for a job. When he arrives, he's told to sit in a room and wait for someone to come for him. He waits all day, but nobody comes.
    He goes back the following day, this time he's prepared and brings his newspaper and sandwiches. But still nobody came.
    At the end of the first week, he's sitting in the room when someone finally comes in....and hands him a wage packet!
    The days pass into weeks, weeks into months......
    ....and he retired today, still sitting in the room!

Does it ring any bells for anyone? (sounds like a Frank O Connor, but that's just a wild guess on my part!).

Thanks!

There was a short film of that, presumably based on that story (which I haven't read). The short film, maybe only 5-10 minutes in length, is the same as above, but it's set just after Independence when the civil service is transferring to the Irish Free State, and in all the confusion, the guy gets a pay packet at the end of the week by a guy who thinks that the office he is waiting in is the interviewee's office. And then it shows him years later in the same office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Skerries wrote: »
    it was about an Irish mother and her only son who she adored and at the end of it the son comes down the hill too quickly and rather than hit their chicken he swerves and is killed and the mother in her grief says he should have run it over and she would still have her only son
    Then the story is told from the point of view that he did kill the chicken and the mother knows he did it and never talks to him again

That story is strongly familiar Skerries...I can't remember any details more than you though.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I mentioned this earlier but ill see if it rings any bells.Around 82,83 in prmary school we had an English book that ha two stories i distinctly remember.One was about a tramp who finds a fiddle in a dump.It was a magic fiddle i think and it made him rich and famous.Somehow he ends up breaking it.Another story was about an old man who's given a gold coin every night by mice who live in his house.He gets too greedy and they stop bringing the gold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 roobear

ah skerries , ive been thinkin about that story too , cannot for the life of me remember the name of it though , its WRECKIN ME HEAD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Back on topic: The strangest story I came across in an English book was Trouble in the Mountains. There were two kids in it - a boy and a girl - whose dad got sent to prison for stealing sheep. It turned out that the sheep in the area were being stolen in an ambulance - after all, who would stop an ambulance to check what was inside? For a while, I suffered from the delusion that Headford in Galway (where the story was set) was a shortish distance from Dublin - in the book the two kids cycle to Aras an Uachtarain to get their dad's name cleared.

I vaguely remember something like this, though it would have been the 90s when I read it.
    We also had a copy of Edin Bylton's 'Three Little Sambos' in our school library.

Our school still had Bylton's Golliwog books (this was the late 1990s). Strange thing is in my innocence I never actually realised what the Golliwogs were meant to represent, I always assumed they were just some generic fantasy creature like leprechauns or fairies.
    Between 1st and 4th class I had the witches broom and the magic pencil. I remember that fairy ring story as well (I'm not sure if it was also in one of these books)! There was also a story about a man who kidnapped bad children and put then in a sack on his back! very strange.

IIRC The Magic Pencil was 3rd class and The Witch's Broom 4th Class. The former contained a Flat Stanley story, I found the illustrations for this story very creepy for some reason (it was the same style as those for the Irish Siúl Liom, Rith Liom, etc, series).

The great thing about school books back then was that the stories were actually entertaining, the cynical part of me imagines that today's books are full of over-PC'd drivel. Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Skerries wrote: »

also i remember there was a story by H.G.Wells about a man in Victorian England who was able to make artificial diamonds but was destitute because he couldn't sell them for some reason

I remember this one. If I recall correctly the son was after getting news that he was accepted into college or gained a scholarship or something like that and he was excited to tell the news, that's why he was cycling so fast and hit the chicken. I think in the version where he survives the mother humiliates him in front of the neighbours and he goes off and she never sees him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I remember a story in one book called Mr Bagman, who brought kids home to his wife to cook.

• I remember this one. If I recall correctly the son was after getting news that he was accepted into college or gained a scholarship or something like that and he was excited to tell the news, that's why he was cycling so fast and hit the chicken. I think in the version where he survives the mother humiliates him in front of the neighbours and he goes off and she never sees him again.

Its called " The Story of the Widows Son" by Mary Lavin from an Exploring English book. This brings back memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I remember The Confirmation Suit story, I think.
    Had the suit "buttons the size of saucers" in the boys opinion?
    His mother died later that year and he wore the hated suit to the funeral, tears streamibg down his face.

The HG Wells one about the diamonds was read in our national school. This guy perfected a way to make artificial dismonds, but needed to keep a roaring coal fire goung fir a long period to replicate the volcano like conditions necessary.
    He sold everything he owned to keep buying coal, but died as the process was just sbout completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Does anyone remember an Irish book in secondary school circa late 80's that had the following illustration which was presented in a comic strip style? A lad is shown drinking in a pub with his buddies. Next hes getting into a car clearly plastered, weirdly, the car has a human face and is looking at the fella with a worried expression. Next the car is shown crashing into a lampost and yer man is smashing through the windscreen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I just googled First Confession and found this web page that has the texts for Janey Mary, First Confession and the Confirmation Suit on it.

We had Links in our school but I genuinely can't remember anything from it :confused:
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I remember The Confirmation Suit story, I think.
    Had the suit "buttons the size of saucers" in the boys opinion?
    His mother died later that year and he wore the hated suit to the funeral, tears streamibg down his face.

I always loved The Confirmation Suit. It's linked in the post above.

It was the dressmaker who died and he wore the suit to her funeral, without his coat, even though it was pouring rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I remmeber an Irish story about some guy who stopped eating porridge becaue everyone in his family put salt in it without thinking everyone else had forgotten to.

I don't remember how it ended, but it's very possible there wasn't an ending. It just stopped.0

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I always loved The Confirmation Suit. It's linked in the post above.

It was the dressmaker who died and he wore the suit to her funeral, without his coat, even though it was pouring rain.

We did that in a school play one year. Did Brendan Beehan write it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We did that in a school play one year. Did Brendan Beehan write it?

Yes.

Advertisement