Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Defunct Bands

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Holmer wrote: »
    Who remembers No Sweat?

"Heart and Soul! Mama don't mind, Papa he don't care at all!!"

Remember it well, wow! they were like an Irish Bon Jovi, but with only one song. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

I think you'll find the original Bon Jovi only have one song too.

I think you'll find the original Bon Jovi only have one song too.

???:confused: Confused I am. Oh right the one where Jon sings to R2-D2 ?

That was a classic alright :):):):)

Anyway, back on topics - Fatima Mansions had a great song about joyriding called "Only losers take the bus"

Also The Cranberries first two albums were very good.
    Before Dolores went ego-tripping.

Who else in here thinks U2 peaked at "The Joshua Tree" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

No, I mean all the songs sound the same! When did Big Jon ever sing to R2 D2? That actually sounds like it might be worth a listen.

And yes, they did peak with the Joshua Tree

No, I mean all the songs sound the same! When did Big Jon ever sing to R2 D2? That actually sounds like it might be worth a listen.

And yes, they did peak with the Joshua Tree

Feast your ears:

We all have skeletons in our closets but that's something else :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Saw hundreds of these in the 80's/90's when working for TCD Ents. Still have a bag of demo tapes somewhere at home.

Have a look at http://irishrock.org/ipnw/azindex.html
    enjoy...

Some not menioned are: The Idiots (from UCD) and Not Our World who iirc contributed to The Mexican Pets and Aidan Walsh and the Masters of the Universe. And there's no info on the Golden Horde, bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

The Dixons were great:

Johhny Barmitzvah

Used to go to see In Tua Nua a fair bit also - but I think that was more to do with Leslie Dowdall than the music.

Microdisney (and Fatima Mansions) best bands ever out of Ireland imho - still have a plain white(-ish) tee ****y with in a small font "Microdisney are ****" and my Fatima Mansions "Go F*ck Youself" one.

I also remember a band from Bray that had Sean Miller ( & the cute hoors) in it but can't remember the name.

Live - has to be a toss up between Fatima Mansions and the Fleadh Cowboys!!

Just found a demo CD of Lokomotiv - formed from the ashes of A-House - at home. Forgotten I had it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

tricky D wrote: »
    Saw hundreds of these in the 80's/90's when working for TCD Ents. Still have a bag of demo tapes somewhere at home.

Have a look at http://irishrock.org/ipnw/azindex.html
    enjoy...

Some not menioned are: The Idiots (from UCD) and Not Our World who iirc contributed to The Mexican Pets and Aidan Walsh and the Masters of the Universe. And there's no info on the Golden Horde, bah.

I remember the Idiots..they always played in The Underground pub in dame st.Ah,the lock-ins i used to have there!

And Paranoid Visions
    http://irishrock.org/ipnw/pq.html#paranoid
    They used to name check our fanzine on all thier records on the understanding we gave them good reviews..Quid Pro Quo punk-style!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Degsy wrote: »
    I remember the Idiots..they always played in The Underground pub in dame st.Ah,the lock-ins i used to have there!
    Ah fado fado. We used to play there sometimes and the punters would have to squeeze by my drumkit to get to the toilets.

Sad to see that's it now a Lap-Dancing emporium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Kaydee - Still listen to them, "Mr.Sweeney" and "Cradle" amoung my favourite songs ever.

I seen Kaydee play a gig about 9 or 10 years ago and they rocked! I don't particularly remember their songs though, where can I find them now?

Actually, me and a girl I knew were up the front row at that gig and she said to me about the lead singer, "I know I'm a girl but their lead singer is hot!". She did look hot that night. At one stage during the gig the band were retuning their guitars and the singer asked the audience did anyone know any jokes, and I ran up to her and told her one but unfortunatly it wasn't funny and she just said something like "good one" unconvincingly. I wish I could have thought of a better joke at the time but couldn't.

• Advertisement

I wish I could have thought of a better joke at the time but couldn't.

The one about the two poofs walking into a bar always cracks them up at any gig i've beem at!

I seen Kaydee play a gig about 9 or 10 years ago and they rocked! I don't particularly remember their songs though, where can I find them now?

Actually, me and a girl I knew were up the front row at that gig and she said to me about the lead singer, "I know I'm a girl but their lead singer is hot!". She did look hot that night. At one stage during the gig the band were retuning their guitars and the singer asked the audience did anyone know any jokes, and I ran up to her and told her one but unfortunatly it wasn't funny and she just said something like "good one" unconvincingly. I wish I could have thought of a better joke at the time but couldn't.

I would have loved to have seen them live. Where did you see them?

The lead singer was Tara Egan Langley. After Kaydee she took the name Tara Blaise.
    She's still recording and touring, had a catchy song called Paperback Cliché in 2005. http://www.tarablaise.co.uk/

She also appeared in a Barry's Tea advert as the love interest of the student writing home to his ma.

I found their only album "Stop, I'm doing it again" in Chapters Book and Record store in Dublin about 2 years ago.
    It is one of my most prized possessions. Talented musicians and great production on the album.

Sadly it wasn't to be the big time for them.

You know those bands and songs that should have been hits and on the radio?

Maybe they remind you of a special time in your life, or a special someone.

When you hear them it takes you right back.

The bands are no more, just treasured memories now.

We all have bands and songs that we would love to share with the world.

Kaydee are one of those bands for me.

It's nice that most of the bands discussed in this thread were on the scene around clubs around the country,
    seems to make the postings and stories all the more personal. :)

I would have loved to have seen them live. Where did you see them?

The lead singer was Tara Egan Langley. After Kaydee she took the name Tara Blaise.
    She's still recording and touring, had a catchy song called Paperback Cliché in 2005. http://www.tarablaise.co.uk/

She also appeared in a Barry's Tea advert as the love interest of the student writing home to his ma.

I seen them in Sligo during rag week '99 I think it was. Just checked out the link, she still looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Oh, The Gorehounds, guaranteed a row at their gigs - usually caused by the singer. Don't recall his name.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Oh, The Gorehounds, guaranteed a row at their gigs - usually caused by the singer. Don't recall his name.

Wasnt that the beardy fella who ran comet records?There was a long-running fued between them and Paranoid Visions,over people not getting paid for gigs that the gorehounds headlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wasnt that the beardy fella who ran comet records?
    That's the one. He used to play drums in the band with one of the guys who worked in the shop.

He was old then, he must be 60 by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jesus, winters reign, no sweat..that takes me back. thought they were going to be as big as def leppard lol

Bambi wrote: »
    jesus, winters reign, no sweat..that takes me back. thought they were going to be as big as def leppard lol

Yes, they were to be Ireland's very own hairspray metal supergroup.

Maybe we should be thankful for U2 after all... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Oh yeah, I just found the video for Heart and Soul on YouTube. Many of the ingredients for your classic 80s hairspray metal video are present and correct. Billowing hair, big machinery tight jeans and a guitarist making his solo really dramatic :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

One of you mentioned Blink - they were big around 1995 - have the commemorative callcard and cd.

Microdisney were class can't get enough of 'town to town' on my ipod.

Anyone remember 'The Kelly Family? Yes, i do admit to having the 'angel' single! Where are they now?

What about bands from across the water?

I really liked Mansun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

and rhyming with that was Hanson, i think the oldest one is married with children now. They disappeared once their voices broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The Kelly Family. Weren't they a load of long-haired hippies who lived on a barge in Germany? I think they were more German than Irish.

Also in the same vein but without as many people on stage was Goats Don't Shave. I went to college with one of their brothers.

Blink were touted as the next big thing at one stage even though they were ****e. They got one of their singles remixed by Soundcrowd which was some sort of Irish dance person/people.

Speaking of Irish dance, does anyone remember the 4th Dimension? They were a poor man's prodigy who hailed from Kerry.

Firetrap wrote: »

Speaking of Irish dance, does anyone remember the 4th Dimension? They were a poor man's prodigy who hailed from Kerry.

They were mental, they had a song with accordians and a big "Woo Hoo" in the middle of it.

Also seem to remember a track of theirs called "once again"

Great fun.

Who did that cover of "maniac" that you'd hear in longford discos?

Who did that cover of "maniac" that you'd hear in longford discos?

That was Mark McCabe

Yeah Yeah Funky Yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

The Kelly Family. Weren't they a load of long-haired hippies who lived on a barge in Germany? I think they were more German than Irish.

Also in the same vein but without as many people on stage was Goats Don't Shave. I went to college with one of their brothers.

Blink were touted as the next big thing at one stage even though they were ****e. They got one of their singles remixed by Soundcrowd which was some sort of Irish dance person/people.

Saw them at Feile 95,along with the actual Prodigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Any1 remember marksman ( i think that was their name). I Had the tape. remember at the time I thought it was great but can't for the life of me think of any of their stuff now. I think they were from the north?? think the album was called 33 revolutions per second it had a red cover.

• Advertisement

deemy wrote: »
    Any1 remember marksman ( i think that was their name). I Had the tape. remember at the time I thought it was great but can't for the life of me think of any of their stuff now. I think they were from the north?? think the album was called 33 revolutions per second it had a red cover.

I think there was a band called Marxman maybe. I can bearly remember them, early to mid 90's. I think they were a hip hop band, unless I'm mistaking them for another band.

Advertisement