Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl Crafty Brewing Beers

• 13-02-2020 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Huge fan of Lidl and way too fond of their Crafty Brewing Pale Ale which is brewed by Rye River / McGargles. They did exceptionally well to get in to Lidl and I believe are now stocked in many European Lidl stores.

Been horsing the stuff in to me for years and it's exceptional value at €1.79 / 500ml bottle. However it appears the recipie has been considerably dumbed down of late and has become far more pale and tastes far less like ale. I'm very disappointed to say it's practically a larger now. Dafuq have you done Rye River?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Its larger?
    Bigger bottle?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've one of the Crafty IPAs in the fridge for this evening. Will report back. Had one of the American Wheats last week and it was as good as ever anyway.

Annoyingly, they don't stock them in the Derry Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Noticed this too. Disappointing, was a fan, especially for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've one of the Crafty IPAs in the fridge for this evening. Will report back. Had one of the American Wheats last week and it was as good as ever anyway.

Annoyingly, they don't stock them in the Derry Lidl.

Sounds like he's talking about the pale ale, not the IPA.

Sounds like he's talking about the pale ale, not the IPA.

Aye I got that. I was worried the IPA would be dumbed down too. No such issues last night however.

I was never a big fan of the pale ale when the IPA and American Wheat are the same price anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

IPA has always been I think 20 / 30c more expensive and not as nice IMO.

I'll try it again this evening and take pics of the colour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The ipa and saison beers are the nicest in lidl IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Aye I got that. I was worried the IPA would be dumbed down too. No such issues last night however.

I was never a big fan of the pale ale when the IPA and American Wheat are the same price anyway.

Had an IPA the other night, seemed fine as ever.

Got it from a different store this afternoon and it's perfect. The problem bottles were a bit tasteless and far more like a lager in colour. Maybe a fault with the brewing process?

20200215-171802.jpg
    20200215-171737.jpg

Bottle No. 2 and we're back to bland-o-rama. Look at the difference in colour. Also note the different batch no.

20200215-175912.jpg
    20200215-175831.jpg
    20200215-171802.jpg
    20200215-171737.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Probably the batch... like the aldi stuff.. can be hit and miss

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are still some batch consistency issue with Rye River products that I've noticed; can have bottles with huge sediment and others nearly clear with their own IPAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I've noticed that the IPA has changed recently. It used to be hazy with a fair bit of hop sediment, now it's crystal clear. It's also gotten cheaper. Still a cracking beer for 2 euro.

OP those bottles you've shown are frol too different batches, the lot numbers are different.

Is the Wheat Ale still on the go? Always loved that one but haven’t been in a Lidl in ages. Do Rye River sell it under any of their other brands?

Is the Wheat Ale still on the go? Always loved that one but haven’t been in a Lidl in ages. Do Rye River sell it under any of their other brands?

The American Wheat? Saw it in Lidl Buncrana yesterday.

The American Wheat? Saw it in Lidl Buncrana yesterday.

That’s the one cheers. Someone bought me a go of different Crafty ones once and I remember really liking that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭rudboy

Yeah I've been getting the pale ale for ages and it's definitely changed, no head at all, taste is much more bitter and colour is darker.... They do a lot of different brews out there in Celbridge so maybe the Lidl one is just thrown together it is quite cheap. Then again that could be Lidl's buying power... When you pour it out and there's zero head you know you're fecked...

Advertisement