Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Back with another question :)

Is it normal not to feel much of a "burn" when/after doing chest presses?

With most other exercises, I'll feel a burn in biceps, shoulders, glutes, calves etc. and will almost certainly have some minor form of doms afterwards, but never with my chest/pecs. When I can't do any more, it's usually because my arms are too tired/weak to keep pressing.

Is that just the nature of the muscle and where it is? I don't think my form is wrong - it seems like a fairly simple move and one of the easier ones in term of correct form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

How much weight are you pressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Back with another question :)

With most other exercises, I'll feel a burn in biceps, shoulders, glutes, calves etc. and will almost certainly have some minor form of doms afterwards, but never with my chest/pecs. When I can't do any more, it's usually because my arms are too tired/weak to keep pressing.

Is that just the nature of the muscle and where it is? I don't think my form is wrong - it seems like a fairly simple move and one of the easier ones in term of correct form.

On the chest press, it might just be the width of your grip. The narrower it is, the more you'll feel it in your triceps.

FWIW, I don't really feel a burn in my chest on bench until I use a grip that's wider than my normal/competition grip width.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

On the chest press, it might just be the width of your grip. The narrower it is, the more you'll feel it in your triceps.

FWIW, I don't really feel a burn in my chest on bench until I use a grip that's wider than my normal/competition grip width.
    Wouldn't feel a burn on a bench press compared to say a pec fly set but that's surely down to compound vs. isolation movements I'd have thought

D'Agger wrote: »
    Wouldn't feel a burn on a bench press compared to say a pec fly set but that's surely down to compound vs. isolation movements I'd have thought

Yep but also different movements. Chest press works triceps pecs and anterior delts so the triceps might get burned sooner than pecs because of the grip width.

Isolation movements where you're only really working the pecs, you don't have that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

When I do chest exercises I never feel that effort in my chest at the time. I feel the effort and tiredness in my arms and sometimes my lower core. But I can feel it in my chest muscles afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Another embarrassingly stupid question for you lot :o

When doing hammer curls with dumbbells, I'm doing a weight that my stronger arm is comfortable with but my weaker arm really struggles with (bit just about get to the number of reps I'm targeting).

Do I just keep going until both arms are on a level playing field, so to speak? It doesn't feel like my stronger arms biceps are getting much of a workout - is it silly to use a heavier weight on that side?

Another embarrassingly stupid question for you lot :o

When doing hammer curls with dumbbells, I'm doing a weight that my stronger arm is comfortable with but my weaker arm really struggles with (bit just about get to the number of reps I'm targeting).

Do I just keep going until both arms are on a level playing field, so to speak? It doesn't feel like my stronger arms biceps are getting much of a workout - is it silly to use a heavier weight on that side?

You're trying to bring the weaker arm up to par. Using a heavier weight on the stronger side would reinforce the imbalance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Which is better fitness wise - a 10 minute run 5 days a week or a 50 minute run once a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aliastar

Which is better fitness wise - a 10 minute run 5 days a week or a 50 minute run once a week?

I would choose the first option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭geotrig

if you have to , I would guess initially 10 min five days a week would be good to build base fitness as long as paces are varied but running for 10 will eventually not be enough and would suggest something in the middle of those 2 options. looks at the couch2 5k for a idea of how to build up runs.

I'd advocate for consistency - one 50 minute run will have you incredibly sore for a few days after if you're not used to it and will likely wear on your appetite to return. 5x10min runs will allow more of a build up towards improved fitness as others have mentioned.

Are you trying to improve fitness for anything in particular?

If it's just general fitness, I'd probably veer more towards the 5 days a week, of those two choices.

But in reality, I'd do some from column one and some from column two, ie do a combination of shorter and longer runs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Two 25 minute runs or three 16m40s runs would be best IMO. More work than 5x10 but you'll have a chance to give the legs at least one day of rest between runs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Two 25 minute runs or three 16m40s runs would be best IMO. More work than 5x10 but you'll have a chance to give the legs at least one day of rest between runs

Agreed, in the running world its often said that a 20min run is of value. Now that's for people who are already fit, if you're unfit anything will probably help. If you could get out for 10min its likely you could stay out for 20 so why not.

Happy Friday folks

Has anybody had issues maintaining progressive overload? Maybe it's just tiredness creeping into my training but got my squat up to 3x5 100kg last week, went this morning and finished with 90kg 3x6 - I'm not overly bothered by it but my goal is to get to 120kg 3x5 in the next 3 weeks so perhaps if somebody has some tips for reaching that I'd appreciate it, maybe it should be one day heavy, one day go for reps/form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Happy Friday folks

Has anybody had issues maintaining progressive overload? Maybe it's just tiredness creeping into my training but got my squat up to 3x5 100kg last week, went this morning and finished with 90kg 3x6 - I'm not overly bothered by it but my goal is to get to 120kg 3x5 in the next 3 weeks so perhaps if somebody has some tips for reaching that I'd appreciate it, maybe it should be one day heavy, one day go for reps/form?

Unfortunately linear progression (which is what you seem to be describing rather than progressive overload) doesn't last forever. Eventually some other progression scheme has to be implemented. Depending on your size and training history upping your 3x5 by 20kg in three weeks may not be possible. It's certainly not impossible for everyone but it depends on the individual.

Are you following a set programme or doing your own stuff? Are you doing any accessory work? How's your bracing? These are all quick enough fixes depending on what you're doing that can help the weight go up. Especially the bracing. One day heavy and another light could be a good idea but it depends on a few things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Happy Friday folks

When'd you deload

• Registered Users Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Impossible to answer without knowing intensity. Above answers are ignoring that.

If you mean constant pace. Then the 50min is better. As that pace is very easy over 10.
    But if you mean relative PR pace for each, then the 5 runs are clearly better.

Unfortunately linear progression (which is what you seem to be describing rather than progressive overload) doesn't last forever. Eventually some other progression scheme has to be implemented. Depending on your size and training history upping your 3x5 by 20kg in three weeks may not be possible. It's certainly not impossible for everyone but it depends on the individual.

Are you following a set programme or doing your own stuff? Are you doing any accessory work? How's your bracing? These are all quick enough fixes depending on what you're doing that can help the weight go up. Especially the bracing. One day heavy and another light could be a good idea but it depends on a few things.

I think the one day heavy one day light will help with recovery.

Current program is just my own, 5 weeks in and I'm more than capable of hitting the 120kg squat now, I just have a complex that my form isn't right and that I should take it nice and slow. I don't think my bracing is great, I'll get a video and look for form tips - did it previously but the weight was waaaaay too low!

bluewolf wrote: »
    When'd you deload

I took week 4 off squats and deadlifts if that counts?

The plan is to do 4 sessions per week, two push, two pull for 8 weeks so nearly there. Plan then is to take it handy for a week or two, then look to do one push, one pull and two days of cardio for 6-8 weeks again thereafter.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Impossible to answer without knowing intensity. Above answers are ignoring that

Fairly straightforward assumption that most people would run slower over longer distance/time and faster over shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

tenner says they do all runs at the same pace regardless of time :)

IvoryTower wrote: »
    tenner says they do all runs at the same pace regardless of time :)

Twenty says they're only doing one of the two options but wondering of the other would be better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Twenty says they're only doing one of the two options but wondering of the other would be better :pac:

50 says the people asking these questions are going to drop running for the next 8min workout device on the home shopping channel

50 says the people asking these questions are going to drop running for the next 8min workout device on the home shopping channel
    Or take up calligraphy with the Penali pen from JML

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Has anybody had issues maintaining progressive overload?

By 'progressive overload', I'm assuming you actually mean linear progression? - As in increasing load every training session.

5 weeks is far too early for linear progression to end. I'd guess you're either being greedy with your weight jumps, not recovering properly (food and sleep) and/or need to get your technique looked at by a coach. Or some combination of the above.

People tend to jump to more complex programming far too early when you could just fine tune the above and milk more gains out of LP. Even when that stops working you can make more simple changes like moving from 3x5 to 5x3.

Also, a three day full body split works better for LP in my experience, as you want to keep the number of exercises low and your exposure to them frequent. Basically something like the Starting Strength programme. If you want to look at my training log on here you can see examples of how to structure the week. I'm currently using LP to build back my strength after injury.

Ha thanks, yeah I can only stay off my arse for 5 minutes before I start dreaming of liposuction

I used to do 7.5 and 10 ks but only got to the gym once or twice a week at weekends and then stopped when I had to work

I ve been doing fast workouts before work lately but not getting as much out of them, and yes its faster pace. My head says little and often, but is 10 to 20 mins good enough, that's my question. Sounds like it is...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I used to do 7.5 and 10 ks but only got to the gym once or twice a week at weekends and then stopped when I had to work

I ve been doing fast workouts before work lately but not getting as much out of them, and yes its faster pace. My head says little and often, but is 10 to 20 mins good enough, that's my question. Sounds like it is...

Depends how you define “good enough”.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Anybody got a good source for cheap resistance bands? I keep buying them and losing them :(

Advertisement