Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tools - One Brand (shared battery) or mix and match

• 23-10-2019 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

So I have finally got my garage built and there are some jobs around the house that I need to do including shelving out the garage in places.

There are some tools that I need and tools on my wish list, however I'm torn between getting a single system with same battery or just a mix of tools.

I don't do much work with the tools at the moment, but have a few things I want to do.

Tools I need:
    - Mitre Saw
    - Impact Driver

Tools I want in future:
    - Circular Saw
    - Hedge Trimmer
    - Orbital Sander

I was thinking of going for something like a Ryobi system that shares a battery and the battery mounting design hasn't changed in years which means likely compatible for newer models.

However the cost of the tools are a little pricey (especially if I go for a diff brand), so I could just buy whatever tools are on sale that meets my needs.

Basically, is it worth sticking to a single brand universe and share batteries like Ryobi or better to mix and match?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There's at least one Ryobi fan here and they can't be that bad as they sell a lot. I don't like them much as I have burnt out their mains tools and had problems with their chargers.

I now stick with DeWalt and haven't had any problems but I've a neighbor who isn't fan as he invested in a load of NiCad battery tools just before they changed to Lithium and had a load of problems with the batteries.

So you'll get lots of different opinions.

Mine here are that you need Orbital Sander - mains powered, Circular Saw - mains powered, Miter saw - mains powered and Impact driver - battery.

Hedge cutter is like in a different league so no need to combine it with batteries used for other power tools. Could be mains powered or battery. If you want battery then DeWalt do one that uses the same batteries as its other power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think my3cents has summed it up there, but I'll add to it anyway! No need to spend money on cordless tools that won't be used everyday, corded variety are fine and will most likely never wear out with non-trade use. I'm an enthusiastic DIYer, so happy enough with corded circular saw, jigsaw, sander, chopsaw etc- these tools aren't used everyday by me and a cord is not a hindrance. I do have a couple of cordless drills, impact driver and angle grinder- they define cordless power tools for me. I have most of my corded tools over 10 -15 years (20 years in the case of my chop saw and power planer) and I know that battery powered equivalents wouldn't have lasted as long (even if they were available at the time). There are some great buys to be had in corded tools and I'd never disregard a new tool purchase just because it was corded.

The bottom line here is that Miter Saws and Circular saws are normally machines with motors in the kilowatt range often 2kw. I know for a fact that the DeWalt 24V battery circular saw has nothing like the power of a similar sized mains saw. You can get battery versions but to get any decent amount of power you need the much more expensive 54 Volt systems.

As an example there are groundwork contractors working next door, their battery tools are drill drivers, SDS drills, impact drivers and 115mm angle grinders. Their saws are all mains powered and being run off a generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Love Ryobi stuff. I've three Ryobi tools which I use alot.

Finishing impact gun.
    Powered caulk gun
    Cordless jigsaw.

All on the One battery system. Can't fault any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Thanks all. I will be going corded for the Mitre saw as my plans will be it mostly to be in the same place so corded is fine.

Next will be Impact Driver with I will go cordless and probably Ryobi or Dewalt depending on budget.

Thanks for the info all.

• Advertisement

I also like the ryobi stuff as its in the right price point for DIYers.
    Sure they are mostly brushed motors but they are cheap tools at the end of the day!
    I've an evolution miter and circ saw and find them spot on (mains powered).
    Will prob purchase an evolution table saw soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks all. I will be going corded for the Mitre saw as my plans will be it mostly to be in the same place so corded is fine.

Next will be Impact Driver with I will go cordless and probably Ryobi or Dewalt depending on budget.

Thanks for the info all.
    I went for the Dewalt brushless twin pack, impact and normal, two batteries.
    I recently got a cordless shark saw for some tree trimming, awesome weapon.
    My next buy is the cordless angle grinder for those clampers:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Most of MyDeWalt tools are old fashioned versions with brushes. Some have had a lot of use like the drill/driver DCD785 which has put in at least 5,000 screws so for me I'm not that fussed about paying the extra for brushless. That said I don't think there is a huge difference on price for brushless unless you go for their more industrial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I went for the Dewalt brushless twin pack, impact and normal, two batteries.

Can I ask how much that set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can I ask how much that set you back?

18v euro 390 inc vat

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement