Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oven not getting hot

• 23-10-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

So yesterday our Hotpoint fan over decided it wasn't going to get hot at all. no form of heat coming what so ever, I'm thinking of replacing the element, is this the most likely cause or do thermostats usually give trouble?
    Any way to tell which it might be?
    It has been getting slower to get up to temperature lately.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

To replace the element you have to take it out so just check the resistance and if its open circuit you know you have to get another one.

If you can get to the element easy enough then you should be able to test it before actually removing it.

Is it fan oven? Does the fan come on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

my3cents wrote: »
    Is it fan oven? Does the fan come on?

yeah fan is working away.

my3cents wrote: »
    To replace the element you have to take it out so just check the resistance and if its open circuit you know you have to get another one.

If you can get to the element easy enough then you should be able to test it before actually removing it.

By the looks of it, its easy enough to get out, if all bolt heads are intact. So just use a multi meter on the 2 element connections when I have it out?

So switch is working which is another possible failure point.

I've just had a look on Amazon for an general idea of prices and there is nothing I've seen more than 20 quid so at that price I'd be ordering one and replacing it myself.

• Advertisement

If you have a sensitive meter then afaik a good element should be something like 20-40 ohms resistance (Edit http://www.appliance411.com/faq/test-element.shtml also https://www.partselect.com/Range-Stove-Oven+Baking-Element-Testing+repair.htm)

Forgot to update this, got a new element on amazon, and a new door seal too while I was at it.

Old seal and element removed and new ones fitted by myself in less than 10 mins. Working again now.

All for less than €20..

Thanks for the info

Advertisement