Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calling out fellow cyclists for illegal or dangerous behavior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have been hit twice crossing on a green and hit twice on a footpath....

Funnily though I was ready for the ones on the footpath....

Sent one into a wall.

The other got my shoulder and he went flying as did his bike which ended up hitting two of his drug addict friends walking towards us....

Gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Refreshing from the point of view, that the particular motorist doesn't tar everyone with the same brush and can recognize that its not all cyclists.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. You said he said "Thats what gives you guys a bad name", which is reinforcing the tarring of all cyclists with the same brush.

If he'd said "look at that one muppet", that could be interpreted differently.

However, you were there, so maybe there were some tonal inferences or facial expressions that we're missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

axer wrote: »
    I don't think it is up to cyclists to police other cyclists, or that they should be expected to
    How wil the dangerous cyclists break their bad habits unless someone calls them out on it?
    I'd rather another cyclist told me when I did something bad than someone in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The main point is that "Cyclists" aren't some homogeneous group, no more than bus passengers, car drivers, pedestrians...

If you spent your day going around trying to correct what you see in your opinion as dangerous behavior or trying to say another individual has done what you in your unqualified opinion thinks is lawbreaking, then you'll get yourself into trouble and cause yourself high blood pressure..

If you see something illegal and dangerous, report it to the authorities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i generally don't call people out on things unless it affects me or happens so close to me that it's nearly in my face. for example, i pass multiple cyclists without lights; i think i've only ever remarked on that once because it was a dark road and i genuinely didn't see the cyclist till i was nearly on top of him. as per a suggestion above i just called out 'your light batteries are flat' or words to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I find a lot of aggression out there and everyone is in such a hurry they couldn't give a sh1t about anything but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I completely agree. The business of cycling through pedestrian crossings when people are walking across, I have a big difficulty with that.
    This really pisses me off; it's intimidating for pedestrians. If people cycling are going be "flexible" on red lights and get a head start on people driving then at least be respectful of people walking. I'm off the mind that when we cycle we should treat pedestrians with the level of courtesy we'd really like to see from people driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I feel a duty to berate motor and cycling bad behavior on my commute. I think I’m now hated by the whole commuting fraternity. It fills me with such joy especially ahead of a busy day at work. a good berating. Nothing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

oLoonatic wrote: »
    I was stopped at a set of traffic lights yesterday and a cyclist blew through red light. A driver actually rolled down his window and said to me " Thats what gives you guys a bad name"

Did your being stopped at the red light not give cyclists a good name though, no?

People with an existing prejudice or bias will only notice the bad behaviour which reinforces that bias.

I don't accept the notion that if we all (>90% of us?) behaved ourselves that we'd suddenly be respected by drivers.

Anti-cyclist prejudice is borne out of driver frustration with being trapped in a totally dysfunctional transport system. Drivers have been sold the dream of freedom and speed, but find themselves stuck in their (toxic) boxes going nowhere - and paying a premium for the privilege.

Cyclists are an easy, soft target to vent their frustration at: Look at all these people who pay very little to cycle, but who manage to skip all the traffic queues - they must be cheating somehow, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

What about cyclists who don't bother using the cycling lanes? There's a road near me with a cycling lane running close by. I seldom see any cyclists using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

About a year ago I saw a cyclist (on green) totally t-boned by a cyclist breaking red. The guy with the green was going at (legitimate) speed and could do nothing.

I really had to hold myself back from roaring at the offending cyclist as the two men picked themselves up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What about cyclists who don't bother using the cycling lanes? There's a road near me with a cycling lane running close by. I seldom see any cyclists using it.
    have you checked out why the cycle lane is unused? could be an absolute mess of a design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

What about cyclists who don't bother using the cycling lanes? .

Because cyclists don't have to use them.

Various reasons why a cyclist would not use it.

Whatabout,whatabout all the car drivers who don't use the Motorways? We paid good money for them by our income tax, the least drivers should do is use them all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. You said he said "Thats what gives you guys a bad name", which is reinforcing the tarring of all cyclists with the same brush.

If he'd said "look at that one muppet", that could be interpreted differently.

However, you were there, so maybe there were some tonal inferences or facial expressions that we're missing.

Tarring all cyclists with the brush of being cyclists?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Whatabout,whatabout all the car drivers who don't use the Motorways? We paid good money for them by our income tax, the least drivers should do is use them all the time?

Nonsensical and disingenuous comment. That's as much as I'll say on it. If you really think that's the same thing then it would take way too long to get through to your brain how it's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Breaking the rules and getting away with it is being a cute whore in Ireland and seen as a good thing, be that jumping lights in a bike or knowinging using the wrong lane to skip traffic and then blocking your lane as you cut back in with your car, its asshattery but done by thousands every day and they think those who dont do it are muppets.

have you checked out why the cycle lane is unused? could be an absolute mess of a design.

I haven't. But I can't see the sense in using a busy dual carriageway when there's a purpose built cycling lane running parallel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Once roared at a cyclist to stop as he was in the middle of undertaking a lorry turning left.

Once spoke to a cyclist after I had caught up who had raced through raced through a red light almost being t boned by a car. All I said was "you're going to get yourself killed cycling like that". He didn't like that. He went to chase me.....I just took off.

When I see sh1t from cyclist I just shake my head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nonsensical and disingenuous comment. That's as much as I'll say on it. If you really think that's the same thing then it would take way too long to get through to your brain how it's not the same thing.

It's no more nonsense than yours though. Most cycle lanes are pretty crap.

If you told a driver they'd have to go over debris, around lamposts, yield every 20-50 metres and that their lane will just stop they'd take a different lane without that.

• Advertisement

Nonsensical and disingenuous comment..

Exactly like yours was, exactly. In your one sided blinkered view on the subject that's how you appear to all those who are regulars on the Cycling forum.

I haven't.
    your homework for this evening...

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's no more nonsense than yours though. Most cycle lanes are pretty crap.

If you told a driver they'd have to go over debris, around lamposts, yield every 20-50 metres and that their lane will just stop they'd take a different lane without that.

In what way is it? "no more nonsense than yours though."

This guy suggested to me that a legitimate comparison was that everyone drives solely on Motorways? Are you honestly suggesting the two things are as nonsensical as one another? In my case I'd be about half a days trek from my house.

In what way is it? "no more nonsense than yours though."This guy suggested to me that a legitimate comparison was that everyone drives solely on Motorways? Are you honestly suggesting the two things are as nonsensical as one another? In my case I'd be about half a days trek from my house.

Impossible to have a debate with someone who makes the point that all bicycle users should always use bicycle lanes no matter what, because you have such a blinkered one sided view on the matter.

Most cyclists are drivers also, and can see things from both points of view, you obviously cant't.

Impossible to have a debate with someone who makes the point that all bicycle users should always use bicycle lanes no matter what, because you have such a blinkered one sided view on the matter.

Most cyclists are drivers also, and can see things from both points of view, you obviously cant't.

I tried telling you already that I'm finished discussing this with you, as you honestly believe that the suggestion of a cyclist using a purpose built cycling lane (which in this case runs parallel to a road) is the same thing as suggesting that motorists solely travel on Motorways.

But if that's how your brain works - which it evidently is- then you I guess you're never going to understand the simple concept of "I'm not discussing this with you any further" either.

And by the way, I also cycle sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Effects wrote: »
    Found this woman mildly amusing for 2 minutes. Think she's just a little touched.

Instagram crazy lady

I've witnessed this fool in the act :D

Get a life love

I tried telling you already that I'm finished discussing this with you
    trying and failing, clearly.
    if you are a cyclist, why not check out the cycle path soon, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I tried telling you already that I'm finished discussing this with you, as you honestly believe that the suggestion of a cyclist using a purpose built cycling lane (which in this case runs parallel to a road) is the same thing as suggesting that motorists solely travel on Motorways.

But if that's how your brain works - which it evidently is- then you I guess you're never going to understand the simple concept of "I'm not discussing this with you any further" either.

Ah...you should have said that earlier!

can you post a google maps link to this "Purpose Built Cycle Lane"? Note: there is a difference between purpose built and Fit for purpose built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The main point is that "Cyclists" aren't some homogeneous group, no more than bus passengers, car drivers, pedestrians...

If you spent your day going around trying to correct what you see in your opinion as dangerous behavior or trying to say another individual has done what you in your unqualified opinion thinks is lawbreaking, then you'll get yourself into trouble and cause yourself high blood pressure..

If you see something illegal and dangerous, report it to the authorities.

I agree with this, but would't even bother reporting it.
    I am a cyclist and a motorist and previously a delivery driver around Dublin.
    And they are all sh!t groups.
    You will never win with the militant cyclist, the militant motorist or the militant delivery driver.
    Some people are out actively looking for an excuse to give out to someone else, be it cyclist, motorist or any other form of public space user. I've come across this multiple times with cars speeding up just to blow the horn, cyclists deliberately blocking cars at junctions just to prove a point. Vans parked across cycle lanes to make it more difficult to cycle. Nothing surprised me anymore so I just assume all other road users are going to be a sh!tbag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You took something very literally.

I took it to mean, when there is a motorway available, why is it not always used by drivers to get from A-B. Because in simple terms it isn't. Plenty of people still using old N, R and L roads to avoid going anywhere near a motorway for a myriad of reasons.

I often get asked on a certain road why I'm not in "the cycle lane". Pointing simply to the sign that I am (it's a bus/cycle lane) and that the lane they refer to is a contraflow lane.

For all of their driving experience, having a licence etc, drivers in my experience have a far worse grasp of the RTA and ROTR than cyclists I experience*.

*cyclists who also drive too

Advertisement