Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest or climote.

• 14-10-2019 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to move from energia to electric Ireland.

Energies couldn't install a netamo due to it being mulitizone.
    Can climote or nest manage this?
    Which is better?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I'm looking to move from energia to electric Ireland.

Energies couldn't install a netamo due to it being mulitizone.

It looks like Energia aren't offering you multiple thermostats under their offer but I'd assume it would be compatible with multizone if you had more than one.

Nest - I use Nest and have no problems with it. I got 2 third Gen Nests - one for upstairs, and one that covers downstairs and hot water.

Climote is a hub that supports multiple zones.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Doesnt Climote need an active sim card installed in it to work?

Stone age connectivity compared to Next.

I've a Next the last 3 years or so and can't fault it (2 zones, heating & hot water)

There is also a €19 per year subscription fee for remote access.
    I know people who have such bad broadband so that they prefer climote.
    Depending on the electricity supplier the subsidised cost to supply and install can be a lower particularly for multizone (maybe easier to retrofit?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

antix80 wrote: »
    It looks like Energia aren't offering you multiple thermostats under their offer but I'd assume it would be compatible with multizone if you had more than one.

Nest - I use Nest and have no problems with it. I got 2 third Gen Nests - one for upstairs, and one that covers downstairs and hot water. Electric Ireland offer a subsidised Nest for €130 with a free Google Home mini, and they offer a second one at a reduced price (not as cheap as €130). You'll need to contact them to get a quote.

Climote is a hub that supports multiple zones.
    I've a bungalow with 2 zones.1 for he 1for CH.

There's a 2 port valve on the system to push the water to the boiler first and then the heating system. Thermostat on cylinder and on the pipe.

It's an oil fired range.

If you have a clock.. On-timed-off.. Nest/netamo replaces it.

Nest (and netamo) comes in 2 pieces.. The bit that replaces your clock (heat link) .. And the nest thermostat itself that sends an on/off instruction to the heat link when a certain temp is reached or you schedule it

The 3rd gen nest can also accommodate sending the on/off command to the hot water. I'm guessing this feature is lacking in netamo.

ring electric ireland and ask them is your setup compatible. They've a team that deal with those queries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

Stone age connectivity compared to Next.

I've a Next the last 3 years or so and can't fault it (2 zones, heating & hot water)

Yeah I'm just in the middle of this road at the moment. Had a Climote installed today and had to take it back out. Wouldn't connect via SIM, engineer tried his dam best but no go. Oddly it works off a 2G Vodafone SIM. Had 30% Signal but no wouldn't connect. And it looked like the right setup for us (2 Zones, Water)

Nest maybe not all it's cracked up to be, I rang back EI today, €130 for first Nest, €270 for the second one. The one disadvantage to Nest from what I've found out today is you can't boost a Zone.

€90 vs €400 is some difference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Junior wrote: »
    The one disadvantage to Nest from what I've found out today is you can't boost a Zone.

You just turn up the temperature.
    The climote interface is horrible.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I moved house last year and the new place has a Climote ... I have no subscription so it's just working as a timer with a digital display. I would prefer the nest for free remote access plus its learning abilities. Does anybody know, would it be an straight forward task to replace the Climote with the Nest? Would the wiring be the same so I could just remove one unit and replace with another or would the kit in the boiler house also need to change?

croo wrote: »
    Would the wiring be the same so I could just remove one unit and replace with another or would the kit in the boiler house also need to change?

I'd recommend an electrician or an expert. A few DIYers online have fried the heat link by connecting the wires wrongly.

The Nest heat link replaces the clock. It sends the instruction to the boiler to go on or off.

The nest itself is a thermostat that connects wirelessly to the heat link and you can power it using a USB cable or existing thermostat wires.

3rd Gen nest can also control your heating (on/off) using the one nest thermostat. You'd need a 2nd thermostat for a separate living zone (e.g. upstairs)

Not sure if that's helpful. Not an expert on this stuff, just did some research when I was buying my own & I got an electrician to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

We got Climote in recently for free via SSC Airtricity even though we are not customers.

Price was covered via a grant including the first year remote access.

Now have a 3 zone heating system. There are thermostats for each zone, upstairs, downstairs and one bi-metallic thermostat that is strapped to the hot water cylinder so keeps the heating regulated in each zone.

The interface is easy to use replaces the old analogue boiler timer, connects to Alexa and are currently testing integration with Google Home devices which I'm happy about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I'd recommend an electrician or an expert. A few DIYers online have fried the heat link by connecting the wires wrongly

You'd need a 2nd thermostat for a separate living zone (e.g. upstairs)
    Just two zones currently; Water and heating but it's a small house so one heating zone is enough for me. But as skodacb says, the climote can actually manage three zones.
    Not sure if that's helpful. Not an expert on this stuff, just did some research when I was buying my own & I got an electrician to fit it.
    Very helpful, thank you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

skodacb wrote: »
    We got Climote in recently for free via SSC Airtricity even though we are not customers.

This requires a monthly payment.
    For this reason alone I would rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

im debating myself on getting climote but just not seeing the advantages of it yet. I can see it works well for 2 story houses but an old bungalow like mine, im not sure
    I currently have an old firebird boiler with an analogue dial built into the front of the boiler
    This heats the rads and water at same time
    I very seldom use the hot water as i have an electric shower so only thing i would use the hot water for is in the sinks.
    Will getting the climote be any benefit to me at all?
    Would i save from not having to heat the water up along with the rads?
    would this save oil because im not heating the water too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

im debating myself on getting climote but just not seeing the advantages of it yet. I can see it works well for 2 story houses but an old bungalow like mine, im not sure
    I currently have an old firebird boiler with an analogue dial built into the front of the boiler
    This heats the rads and water at same time
    I very seldom use the hot water as i have an electric shower so only thing i would use the hot water for is in the sinks.
    Will getting the climote be any benefit to me at all?
    Would i save from not having to heat the water up along with the rads?
    would this save oil because im not heating the water too?

Cost wise, I think for your setup , nest comes out cheaper, and you won't have recurring annual fees.

If you dont want to heat your hot water at the same time as your heating, then you would need by the sounds if to seperate out your heating into 2 zones, which would require some plumbing work irrespective if what smart thermostat you go for.

A single nest would do both your heating zone and your hot water zone, so it has the same in that regard as the climote from your perspective.

I would be going with nest if I was you, and I would get the hit water and heating seperated into 2 distinct zones.

I would be going with nest if I was you, and I would get the hit water and heating seperated into 2 distinct zones.

I'd disagree with zoning hot water. Too costly.

I'd disagree with zoning hot water. Too costly.

Any idea how much it would cost ?

Any idea how much it would cost ?

Well.. honestly no, other than my plumber said there was little benefit of going to the effort and expense on my setup. I believe the tank just heated as if it was one of the radiators as part of the central heating system, and seemed to be a big enough job to change that - at least my plumber wasn't interested in touching it. I thought he was just being lazy but I asked a friend who used to be a plumber and he agreed.

So, take from that what you will. In the end I got the place replumbed as part of a renovation.

No harm trying to get a no obligation quote from a plumber, maybe one familiar with whatever grants might be going (oddly enough upgrading to zones didn't seem to be covered when I looked into it).
    Even better try the plumbing and heating forum on boards. If it's as easy as fitting a valve to the hot tank and fitting motorised heating controls I'd say €500 sounds about right but that's entirely me pulling a figure from the air.

Well.. honestly no, other than my plumber said there was little benefit of going to the effort and expense on my setup. I believe the tank just heated as if it was one of the radiators as part of the central heating system, and seemed to be a big enough job to change that - at least my plumber wasn't interested in touching it. I thought he was just being lazy but I asked a friend who used to be a plumber and he agreed.

So, take from that what you will. In the end I got the place replumbed as part of a renovation.

No harm trying to get a no obligation quote from a plumber, maybe one familiar with whatever grants might be going (oddly enough upgrading to zones didn't seem to be covered when I looked into it).
    Even better try the plumbing and heating forum on boards. If it's as easy as fitting a valve to the hot tank and fitting motorised heating controls I'd say €500 sounds about right but that's entirely me pulling a figure from the air.

Again, I'm also not a plumber, but as the op said he never used the oil for heating water, it does seem like an exceptional waste heating a full tank of hot water that you will never use.

It may simply be a motorised valve (the heating control element is it an additional cost, as for example a nest already.comes.qith the controls for a heating zone and a water tank).

So the additional cost for the op to stop needlessly heating a full tank of hit water, is down to a motorised valve and a few hours work for a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can anyone recommend me a system, please...

I have a small two bed house. Two Zones, ground floor, first floor + hot water...
    Hot water is by Solar & suplemented by gas.

I have a bunch of home automation stuff & would like to use the Nest Hub as my control centre.
    Would I need two seperate Nest Thermostats? or is there a better system for me?

BTW, the house is A rated & the heating will only need to be on for a very small amount of time.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me a system, please...

I have a small two bed house. Two Zones, ground floor, first floor + hot water...
    Hot water is by Solar & suplemented by gas.

I have a bunch of home automation stuff & would like to use the Nest Hub as my control centre.
    Would I need two seperate Nest Thermostats? or is there a better system for me?

BTW, the house is A rated & the heating will only need to be on for a very small amount of time.

only 2 zones; (water is assumed to be a zone)

Zone 1: heating the entire House
    Zone 2: hot water only

Nest 3rd Gen is the one for you then.

or are you;
    Zone 1: Ground Floor
    Zone 2: First Floor
    Zone 3: Hot Water

This then would be a 3 zone system, and you'd need at lest 2 Nests to operate the 3 zones independently.

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    I'd be the second system... three zones

Ground, first, hot water requires 2 nest 3rd gen thermostats. (well, one 3rd gen and a second nest which may also be 3rd gen)
    The nest home hub isn't really a hub. Nests operate independently of it and it requires an Internet connection to communicate with the nests.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Just moved into a new build that came with Climote, we are not signed into any ongoing monthly charges though?

Personally, it feels clunky and hopefully we'll find some spare cash soon (black Friday!) to buy a Nest and get it installed.

We had Netamo in last place (was free from Energia), was very temperamental and would never go near it again.

Just moved into a new build that came with Climote, we are not signed into any ongoing monthly charges though?

Can you operate it remotely from your phone? as in while not at home?

Isn't the subscription only to allow remote operation?

Can you operate it remotely from your phone? as in while not at home?

Isn't the subscription only to allow remote operation?

Still getting used to it but i boosted it this morning using the app (at home) and it worked BUT tried to turn the device off when we were away and wasn't convinced it worked...

Ground, first, hot water requires 2 nest 3rd gen thermostats. (well, one 3rd gen and a second nest which may also be 3rd gen)
    The nest home hub isn't really a hub. Nests operate independently of it and it requires an Internet connection to communicate with the nests.

Thanks, I understand... but want to centralise my smart home devices and I like the graphical way the Hub works. Also Google homes recent update has improved how it acts towards groups and general hardware... so while I know that the thermostat doesn't require the Hub, I still want to set up certain functions around it.

Anyone have any idea how Neatmo would work for my scenario?

Still getting used to it but i boosted it this morning using the app (at home) and it worked BUT tried to turn the device off when we were away and wasn't convinced it worked...

Got to the bottom of this, developer paid the yearly fee to Feb 2020, so will have to pay after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Have an existing system with 3 zones. Can you add a nest to manage 2 zones and leave the existing system there to 'manually' control the 3rd zone?

bamayang wrote: »
    Have an existing system with 3 zones. Can you add a nest to manage 2 zones and leave the existing system there to 'manually' control the 3rd zone?

If the 3rd zone is hot water, then a 3rd gen Nest can handle it as well as another zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

Bluefoam wrote: »
    If the 3rd zone is hot water, then a 3rd gen Nest can handle it as well as another zone.

Ok, but if I only got one nest, can I put two areas on that and leave the third zone on my existing ‘dumb’ system?

Advertisement