Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking photos of people at sporting events

• 07-10-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the rules around taking photos of people (kids and adults) at sporting events?

I'm involved in a martial arts club where our members take part in competitions with other clubs. These competitions take place indoors in community centres or GAA halls etc. The organisers usually take pics of the participants during the day when they are being presented with their medals. These pics are then put on the competition hosting club's facebook page.

No notice is given or permission sought from the participants or their parents to take these pics.

Does this sound like an acceptable practice?

I'm not overly happy about it but before I say anything I’d like to know the facts first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/news-media/blogs/taking-photos-school-events-where-common-sense-comes-play

may provide some guidance even though its not strictly a schools event

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

IANAL

If the event is in Public then there is no restriction.

If it is on Private Property those who control it may impose restrictions. These can vary and you need to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yes OP, this sounds like an acceptable practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

It is also possible one of the terms and conditions of club membership is that occasionally your photograph will be used to promote the club. Pictures in the local advertiser or facebook page are the only content small clubs have to show what they do.

OP what is your objection to these photographs?

Is your child a member of the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭thefizz

sheesh wrote: »
    It is also possible one of the terms and conditions of club membership is that occasionally your photograph will be used to promote the club. Pictures in the local advertiser or facebook page are the only content small clubs have to show what they do.

OP what is your objection to these photographs?

Is your child a member of the club?

Yes my child is a member. The images are used on the club's facebook page. I don't have any strong objection, I just wondered if it was an acceptable practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

thefizz wrote: »
    Yes my child is a member. The images are used on the club's facebook page. I don't have any strong objection, I just wondered if it was an acceptable practice.

While it's a common practice it doesn't mean it's correct in law.

If you have any objection to images of your child being used on social media, the simplest solution is to chat with whoever controls the social media account, it's likely they will take your position into consideration and ideally won't publish future images.

On the flip side if your child is not included in group pics or featured on social media ....they may notice it themselves or their peers might notice it and make fun of them.

Sometimes it's easier to accept it rather than create an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

thefizz wrote: »

It is but it is considered prudent to get acceptance/ permission from the parents A club I was in had a junior section and on the terms and conditons was that pictures of the kids would be taken and put on facebook now it was a musical group and we show some of our performances online.

Advertisement