Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not without me horses boss. Free housing rejected

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe because they have children who need decent accommodation. Your "them" includes women and children.

Traveller men do not give a toss about the women in their lives, treating them as incubators for the next generation of their 'culture'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Sulky-racing.jpg

they do love and take care of their horses

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wonder who is watching over the properties to keep them safe from stripping???

This small island never ceases to amaze....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

If I went to the local council offices demanding a free house with land i'd be told to fcuk off and i'm from a settled traveller family going back 65 years, have the name the lot, but sure I go out and work everyday, silly oul me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

jacksie66 wrote: »
    So you can call regular non traveller people what you like on this site but when you utter a bad word against travellers it's discrimination. It's people like you who are letting the travellers get away with whatever they like incase you offend or upset the poor oppressed souls that they are..

Regarding discrimination, I'd like to think it would be fairly reasonable, and also understandable to take issue, and hold a particular hatred of a specific bunch of Travellers based on their actions and express that here.

I think the issue AnneFrank may be alluding to, it that any attack tends to be very rarely confined to the individuals in question and the specific people the topic is about.

EVERY SINGLE THREAD without exception, that is about a specific Traveller or group of Travellers descends into an all out hatefest, straight up generalisations and rarely if ever anything other than across the board discrimination.

No doubt I expect to be singled out now for pointing this fact out, accused of defending/excusing the worst of the worst horrible individuals, every Traveller that ever walked the face of the earth.

Same old deflection, as always.

What I am pointing out though is easily verifiable by visiting any Traveller related thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Again another example of the lunacy in this country.

And the made up so called homelessness crisis.

But why didn't someone involved in the process here realise that these ungrateful gits would come up with some excuse not to take them? Surely if you have experience dealing with travellers you know about their 'culture'.

So does this mean that every house now offered to travellers that the housing people will have to get planning permission for stables?

It's beyond a joke at this stage.

In this case I'd give them a ' take it or leave it' ultimatum. If you say no, back of the queue for you. No-one outside of Margaret Cash, John Connors and Pavee Point would disagree with that decision, and f them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Sacks of human garbage, how delightful. Funny how discrimination is allowed on this site, as long as it's directed at travellers.

When you start to pay tax, then I'll listen to you.

Go on out will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe because they have children who need decent accommodation. Your "them" includes women and children.

Seriously ??? Their offspring turn out exactly like the parents and parents before them !! Have you heard of Margaret cash ? What’s your view on her behavior ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

jacksie66 wrote: »
    So you can call regular non traveller people what you like on this site but when you utter a bad word against travellers it's discrimination. It's people like you who are letting the travellers get away with whatever they like incase you offend or upset the poor oppressed souls that they are..
    A mod just removed a part of my post where I called the travellers "entitled feckers" (or something along those lines), apparently it was an 'insult'.

I mean, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I guess building them their own little estate keeps them from living beside settled people. The truth is I don't know a single settled person who would want to live beside a traveler family.

My sister was unfortunate enough to have some travelers as neighbors recently.

Lots of issues. The kids were incredibly badly behaved. Throwing stones at peoples satellite dishes seemed to be an Olympic sport for them. The kids mother was lovely but couldn't control them. The father was abusive loud and everyone was scared of him. He reversed into a neighbors can at one stage and allegedly told the owners of the car if they called the Gardaí there would be "trouble". The poor family attached to them had a horrible time with the noise. In the end they didn't pay their rent for the last 6 months and their landlord (who wasn't popular in the estate obviously) had a terrible time getting them out. As a parting gift they intentionally destroyed the house. Holes in the walls, toilets broken, wooden floors destroyed. It was a nightmare for everyone.

The father is in jail now apparently, something to do with driving whilst being banned for the umpteenth time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Horses used to be part of my culture too. Not recently. Actually, not since my great-grandfather’s time. They’re not part of my culture because I don’t farm in the late 19th/early 20th century. I’ve no use for a horse, and I don’t have the means to keep and care for them.

Cultures change, you see. Healthy ones, at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

"I'm homeless, all I want is a house"

"Here's a house"

"Yes but it's not where I want it, it doesn't have enough bedrooms, it's not got a swimming pool and room for a pony".

The entitled classes get more like Hyacincth Bucket's sister as we go along. Sickening.

Cina wrote: »
    A mod just removed a part of my post where I called the travellers "entitled feckers" (or something along those lines), apparently it was an 'insult'.

I mean, really?

Been there. The "s" word isn't allowed either. Think Ray Winstone film from the 80s. In a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Why don't they leave the horses on the site they are on now..It is only across the road from where the new houses are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

_Brian wrote: »
    This is a very important case. If the council relent and provide stables then this will set a standard going forward. It will mean that every single traveller accommodation forever will need to have land and stables.

Very true, now they are formally recognized as an ethnic minority they must be provided with services consistent with their culture. This was always going to be a demand once this happened and it's going to cost the tax payer many millions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why don't they leave the horses on the site they are on now..It is only across the road from where the new houses are!
    I’d imagine there’s an owner of that land, who’d prefer they didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Likely because the council want them off the land they're on.

Should have just concreted the area and let them bring in their caravans and 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

endacl wrote: »
    I’d imagine there’s an owner of that land, who’d prefer they didn’t.

The fact they are on the land 50 years would make you wonder who owns it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

this is Waterford Whisperer level parody. Except it's real.

People defending this, can you not see what acquiescing to these demands will mean? it will set a precedent.

Anyone who really gives a hoot about the housing crisis and the finite resources we have to tackle it must condemn this nauseating brinkmanship.

People have a right to a roof over their head and to be safe and warm, fed and watered. NOT TO A ****ING STABLE AND HALF A ****ING ACHE FOR THEIR ****ING HORSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My cousin owns several properties that he rents out. He was doing one of them up (between tenants) and decided to make it available to the council for social housing (he's a decent chap, said he saw it as "doing his bit"). It's a 3 bed apartment in Dublin City. Went through 4 months of paperwork (all the while down the rent but paying the mortgage), was happy to oblige.

Property was put on the database....and nothing. Weeks and weeks went by with no interest. Eventually a young couple with kids looked at it and said it was too far from their families. Next family said they wouldn't get their sofa in the door.

Finally a young single mother accepted and moved in. My cousin got several noise complaints in the first month she lived there. She was having a non-stop party, with all manner of comings and goings at all hours. She left of her own volition not long after, as she "didn't like" the place.

My sympathy is waning big-time for these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Its almost funny. Stop funding for traveller welfare groups right now. They have the same entitlements as the rest of us and no more.
     They also have the same responsibilities as they rest of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Who is that guy on The Tonight Show last week where they were talking about given houses for free? A female guest said that the dole person doesn't get the house for free, as they have to pay a certain amount each week. He replied back where do they get the money to pay for the house? It shut her up.

That guy is expressing the anger of the working people of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

This is just insane. Anyone else would be told they had to pay for facilities for their hobbies from their own pockets. If these people get half an acre and stables each to keep horses on then will another welfare recipient who would like to plat golf be entitled to demand half an acre and nets for a practice range behind their house. Or someone who is into cars demands a garage. Or someone who likes to swipe demand a heated swimming pool. If these people get their stables and land then surely under equality rules everyone would be entitled to have their hobbies also catered for.

Equality means equality of not getting everything you would like. Travellers need to start to accept that the state will provide the basics and after thay they have to work hard and save up for extras just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

80 homeless on the tipp list.

What really surprises me, is that the media is actually reporting this story.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/news/homeless-people-every-county-ireland-608736

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Afro Turner

I for one respect the sacred traveller culture and will not say anything negative about the traveller masterace for fear of mod retaliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

this is Waterford Whisperer level parody. Except it's real.

People defending this, can you not see what acquiescing to these demands will mean? it will set a precedent.

Anyone who really gives a hoot about the housing crisis and the finite resources we have to tackle it must condemn this nauseating brinkmanship.

People have a right to a roof over their head and to be safe and warm, fed and watered. NOT TO A ****ING STABLE AND HALF A ****ING ACHE FOR THEIR ****ING HORSE.

Sadly it appears that the grating of Ethnic Status means that do have such rights as they claim to be part of their ethnic Culture.
    Not agreeing with it just pointing it out

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

@AnneFrank

You are a traitor, as are the entitled free-loaders in this case we talk of. Some excellent summarizations in this thread... It is essentially an attack on hard working, tax-paying citizens of the state.

Edit. Apologies, it's easy to forget those as well who cannot work and are not of working age or retired but do follow the rules as law-abiding citizens. We've all been or will be in this bracket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Its almost funny. Stop funding for traveller welfare groups right now. They have the same entitlements as the rest of us and no more.
     They also have the same responsibilities as they rest of us...

And again the granting to the of Ethnic Minority Status by the last Government means that they do have special entitlements in line with their ethnic status.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

and if they do move in to these houses how long before the houses are burnt out

• Advertisement

DChancer wrote: »
    And again the granting to the of Ethnic Minority Status by the last Government means that they do have special entitlements in line with their ethnic status.

Edna (sic) has a f**king lot to answer for so!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement