Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Believing Catholics seem to be a bit stupid - why are there people standing in pens that are almost empty when they could just walk forward and get a bit more into it.

original?width=630&version=4202857

Because they got a better vantage point to see the Pope up close as he drove through the various sections so all could see him up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Believing Catholics seem to be a bit stupid - why are there people standing in pens that are almost empty when they could just walk forward and get a bit more into it.

original?width=630&version=4202857

Sheep pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Collie D wrote: »
    Doesn't matter a jot to him. Whether you were there today, are a believer or not, once you were baptised a Catholic you'll always be "one of them" to that poster.

One of us
    One of us
    One of us

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Are they worse than child abusers though? Graces7 certainly thinks so.

Why compare apples and oranges, or bring in people who are not present at this moment to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I assume their tickets had allocated pens (just like sheep(, that they had to go to.

Really a poor turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Patww79 wrote: »
    The political and ethical cause of you people is to see all of us wiped out, not just the religion.
    Huh?
    Are you saying atheists... Want what exactly?!
    Wiping out of the human race!?!... Come on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

gmisk wrote: »
    Huh?
    Are you saying atheists... Want what exactly?!
    Wiping out of the human race!?!... Come on now

The Irish, I was replying to a shankhill butcher in waiting.

batgoat wrote: »
    Tickets were literally being handed out on the Christianity forum. They were incredibly easy to come by. Also they were readily available to order online for weeks. Seems clear that the selling out was always misrepresented as there was absolutely no difficultly ordering.

That doesn't fit the narrative of people trying to make excuses for nobody turning up.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Why compare apples and oranges, or bring in people who are not present at this moment to comment?

I was asking you the question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »
    I'm an Atheist. The demise of the Catholic Church is great for my political and ethical cause.

The political and ethical cause of you people is to see all of us wiped out, not just the religion.
    And how do you come to that frankly bizarre conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

People over booked tickets and others booked tickets in a protest, but all were booked up.

Clearly far from 500,000 showed up

Taytoland wrote: »
    And how do you come to that frankly bizarre conclusion?

I've witnessed you all before. You have a constant yearning for all our blood to be spilt, your whole world is built around it. It's also the main reason every other aspect of your country is still in the 1980's.

I was asking you the question.

You are bringing someone else into it and I do not have to answer for someone else's views which I don't know if you are misrepresenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

With all this chat about the attendance and Ed Sheeran selling out nine stadium gigs in Ireland this year, is Ed Sheeran now officially and empirically bigger than Jesus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I do admit that I'm delighted with the low turnout as it demonstrates that the census will wrong. .

What it actually shows is that there are a lot of people lying on the census form .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I've witnessed you all before. You have a constant yearning for all our blood to be spilt, your whole world is built around it.

That's frankly scary. I suggest you seek mental help.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You've a serious case of inflated self worth. I doubt anyone has any interest in wiping you out.

RobertKK wrote: »
    You are bringing someone else into it and I do not have to answer for someone else's views which I don't know if you are misrepresenting.

Ok. Ignore the bit about Graces7.

Question just for you. Are the people that snapped up tickets with no intention to go worse than child abusers and the people that cover it up?

Simple yes or no question for you Robert.

You've a serious case of inflated self worth. I doubt anyone has any interest in wiping you out.

We're all one entity to them, I'm the same as you and you me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Patww79 wrote:
    Yes they did, I know lots of people that booked tickets to stop people going. It may not have had much effect in the end but the intention was there. There is lots of triumphalism too, you just don't want to see it because you have your own views. The big twitter brigade jumping on the coat tails of real protests don't want anyone to think anything different than they do themselves.

Tickets were still available free of charge online right up to last night. No one was deprived of tickets but I do agree that the intention was there. As it turns out no one needed to get tickets in protest. So few actually bothered their arse going. Even Dublin City yesterday had a tiny turnout. They expected 100,000 at that but it was closer to 20,000. Not tickets needed. Now the country people showed up the dubs big time. Total respect 45,000 was a great turnout for knock.

No one wants you to convert or dump your religion but many people are delighted that we can no longer be treated as 78 percent RC. It's been very unfair for a long while now the way schools have been very biased towards RC when in reality RC is possibly in the minority now

• Advertisement

With all this chat about the attendance and Ed Sheeran selling out nine stadium gigs in Ireland this year, is Ed Sheeran now officially and empirically bigger than Jesus?

He is an order of magnitude bigger than Jesus.

Whats going to see the pope got to do with anti Islamic paranoia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Excuses about tickets. Excuses about abuse and coverups. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

SPDUB wrote:
    What it actually shows is that there are a lot of people lying on the census form .

I'll buy that as fact.

He is an order of magnitude bigger than Jesus.

Bigger than the pope anyway

CruelCoin wrote: »
    That's frankly scary. I suggest you seek mental help.

Up to their knees in it, one could say. But they're not the mental ones.

erica74 wrote:
    Excuses about tickets. Excuses about abuse and coverups. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Plenty of free tickets online up to last night. People didn't want to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes indeed, I think too the RCC haters are totally over-represented on this forum....the vast majority of the population are just getting on with their lives.

There were loads more pro-Catholic contributors until they acted very unchristian and got banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Plenty of free tickets online up to last night. People didn't want to go

There's more fervour for tickets to the All Ireland.

• Advertisement

erica74 wrote: »
    There's more fervour for tickets to the All Ireland.

Well there are far less available tbf

Advertisement