Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hostage/Siege in French Supermarket - Islamic State angle

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

inforfun wrote: »
    920613a39f3b8ea4ade19afbe93abb61.png

Bit of a dodgy translation "touched" should have been "hit"

And "would have" should be "was (allegedly)".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dav3 wrote: »
    If you honestly believe I'm deflecting why are you replying?

I'm not btw. Are there any sane people who genuinely believe France has gone to the dogs?

Yes the ones who strongly advised me against moving there.Do you think we hear all the bad things that happen there? As many do to hear everything that happens here. eg Tuam babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

And "would have" should be "was (allegedly)".

Are you near there pickarooney ?
    Any news on numbers injured ? Lci are not aware and I couldn't be bothered listening to the radio.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Isis and other jihadists are joining FSA ( free Syrian army) alongside Turkey helping them wipe out the Kurds in Syria. So-called moderate rebels a joke. I expect to see more attacks they are protected by a country now close to Europe.

And financed by, amongst others, The Netherlands as the news there learned me last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What are you talking about? I live in France and it is a perfectly safe, beautiful country.

Yep it is, for some.
    For certain concert goers, football match spectators, priests, shop workers, pedestrians, cartoonists, policemen and now butchers it is proving to be not so safe.

Today in the French towns of Carcassonne (population 47,000) and Trebes (population 6,000) people were told by Police to baracade themselves indoors, they were told to get off the streets and roads, schools were locked down.

Tell us how many more perfectly safe countries have whole towns (cities in our country) put into lock down due to yet another muslim terrorist (oops forgot the narrative mentally disturbed young man of Asian/African extraction) ?

A lot of butchers went to work today in a lot of run of the mill supermarkets, in a lot of towns and cities in a lot of countries.

Only one though AFAIK was killed by a terrorist, but of course he was in a a "safe" country.

Is there no amount of apologist hogwash spouted by some to excuse yet another example of the cultural contribution of one particular religious ideology to Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Utter Bollocks.

Stop deflecting, we all saw you shown up by Humphrys on here ...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

jmayo wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I live in France and it is a perfectly safe, beautiful country.

Yep it is, for some.
    For certain concert goers, football match spectators, priests, shop workers, pedestrians, cartoonists, policemen and now butchers it is proving to be not so safe.

Today in the French towns of Carcassonne (population 47,000) and Trebes (population 6,000) people were told by Police to baracade themselves indoors, they were told to get off the streets and roads, schools were locked down.

Tell us how many more perfectly safe countries have whole towns (cities in our country) put into lock down due to yet another muslim terrorist (oops forgot the narrative mentally disturbed young man of Asian/African extraction) ?

A lot of butchers went to work today in a lot of run of the mill supermarkets, in a lot of towns and cities in a lot of countries.

Only one though AFAIK was killed by a terrorist, but of course he was in a a "safe" country.

Is there no amount of apologist hogwash spouted by some to excuse yet another example of the cultural contribution of one particular religious ideology to Europe.
    I never once suggested that Islamic culture and the clash of values/lack of integration was not a problem here in France. In fact, I know first-hand the extent of that problem and some serious reflection is needed in this country about how it is to be tackled going forward.
    However, to imply that France is unsafe is hysterical and hyperbolic. I was responding to a poster who said she was glad she hadn't moved here given what the country has turned into, as if we are all cowered in fear, afraid to open the front door in case we are accosted by a jihadist. It is an absolutely irrational response to what is a statistically negligible threat. France, for almost everyone, is still a perfectly safe (and mostly beautiful) country. It's like hearing news of an air crash and saying you're glqd you've never stepped foot on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The fact that you live there, the fact that France is the most visited country in the world by tourists and the fact that it actually is a perfectly safe, beautiful country, means little to some people.

They've made up their mind and they're not for turning. They have youtube videos, ranting blogs and opinions from idiots that they know to back up their prejudices.

Is the French newschannel France24 a prejudiced idiot??

https://youtu.be/6gZFGpNdH1A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm not btw. Are there any sane people who genuinely believe France has gone to the dogs?

Well lets see.
    Over the last few years you have had ...
    • concert goers taken hostage and slaughtered in Paris.
    • people sitting outside restaurants, bars, cafes being shot at in Paris.
    • people out for a walk on a promenade in Nice being run over and murdered.
    • people working in a magazine being slaughtered.
    • policemen being executed on the footpath
    • a priest being decapitated in front of his parishioners.
    • shop workers and shoppers being taken hostage and killed just because they were Jews.
    • suicide bombers trying to enter stadiums to try kill football fans.
    • a number of individuals attacked and killed by lone wolfe attackers who all happen to share the same religious ideology.

If that isn't a state that doesn't have very serious problems and taken a turn for the worse then I don't fooking know what is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They still don't know how many injured yet exactly, helicopters to and fro-ing from supermarket to hospitals.

For sure 2 injuries : the passenger in the hijacked car, and the CRS who was shot in the shoulder as a group of 5 were coming back to headquarters from a jog. That injury is not life threatening.

The perpetrator shot at the group from the car.

Macron just talked from Brussels, he suggested that the guy was a lone-wolf with psychiatric issues rather than acting on orders coming from elsewhere.

Quelle Surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nah France is totally fine.

I'm gobsmacked. I didn't think things were that bad. I take back what I though about the far-right in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked. I didn't think things were that bad. I take back what I though about the far-right in France.

I wonder if some on here are going to say that the men in the video were just lone-wolves with psychiatric issues. The video is disturbing; not just because of the overt misogyny, but because it reflects the future in many areas of Europe. And with the ever increasing numbers of similarly-minded men being allowed into Europe, the problem is only going to get worse.

The reality is that the liberal minorities in countries across Europe are pushing people to the right and far-right; many of whom would have never considered going to the right in the political spectrum in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kivaro wrote: »
    The reality is that the liberal minorities in countries across Europe are pushing people to the right and far-right; many of whom would have never considered going to the right in the political spectrum in the past.

I’d have to agree with that. The vocal hardcore left seem to be given more of a pass from the media and other outlets than is warranted. Thing is, they’ve become what they’re supposed to hate... fascists. They’ll more or less accuse you of wrongthink and the irony of it is lost on them. I’d have considered myself left leaning on loads of issues down the years but I can definitely see your point on how these loons could make people resent their side or even think twice

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you near there pickarooney ?
    Any news on numbers injured ? Lci are not aware and I couldn't be bothered listening to the radio.

Nah, if it weren't for boards I wouldn't even know it happened.

What is going to start happening is kids who don't happen to share a certain ideology and belief system will start looking elsewhere because they see the authorities and mainstream parties doing shag all about their situation.

Imagine being a young guy growing up in an area where your sister, your mother are subject to abuse or even worse, where you are beaten up because you don't happen to believe in a certain religion and you don't fall in line, where your friend is beaten up because he dared chat to the wrong girl, where your cousin the soldier is afraid to appear because the locals would hack his head off.

First probable thing is that these kids move out to an area that isn't majorily controlled by the same ideology which just leaves even more of a ghetto behind with it's it's own defacto laws and rules.
    A country or fiefdom within a state, a mimic of the tribal areas in Pakistan where the law is the local elders and the state rules no longer apply.

And what of the young guys that leave ?
    Well a fair portion will have developed a deep seated hatred just looking for a home.

As it is I find it incomprehensible how there haven't been huge rise in right wing groups in the likes of Rochdale, Newcastle, Rotherham, Telford, etc.

I don't think it is going to end well for Europe.

Nah, if it weren't for boards I wouldn't even know it happened.

This is the thing.
    It is death by a thousand cuts.

We are becoming immune to it.

What politician actually said it is what is to be expected living in a city in modern Europe.
    Oh yeah wasn't it the muslim major of London. :rolleyes:

Of course the excusors arrive telling us that more people were killed in car accidents in France today.
    More people probably fell down the stairs.

It is the price to pay for multiculturalism and some people feeling superior about themselves and assuaging their sense of guilt for being born white, middle class in Europe.
    The very same people who probably laugh at christians, catholics around these parts, for believing that some guy died on a cross 2000 years ago to supposedly assuage mankinds' guilt for leaving a fictitious garden a few thousand years ago. :rolleyes:

This is the thing.
    It is death by a thousand cuts.

In fairness it's still a big deal judging by the media, live-updates news on radio (I did bother in the end) and tv/newspapers headlines over in France.
    Maybe pickarooney just doesn't have access to the news during their work day.

But you're right, these events become old news very fast nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Of course the excusors arrive telling us that more people were killed in car accidents in France today.
    More people probably fell down the stairs...

But how many of those would have been as a result of some sick minded fool's failed ideology.
    Let us try to guess now, probably None.

And in other news..

A teenage asylum-seeker who detonated a bomb on a rush hour Tube train has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 34 years.
    Hassan plotted his attack with "ruthless determination and almost military efficiency while pretending to be a model asylum seeker", the court heard.
    He was also older than he purported to be.

34 years, it will be so interesting to compare that sentence with the one the Egyptian will get for murdering the Japanese lad in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

One of the most enduring and manpower intensive tasks of the French army is Opération Sentinelle. Over 10,000 armed soldiers deployed to defend the streets of French cities from Islamic terrorists. The strain on the French army is such that 6 in 10 French soldiers want to quit, and the head of the French armed forces quit last year citing too many operational demands and too little funding to accomplish them.

When the French army must protect its streets, rather than its borders you cannot pretend things are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Mark Henderson

Sand wrote: »
    One of the most enduring and manpower intensive tasks of the French army is Opération Sentinelle. Over 10,000 armed soldiers deployed to defend the streets of French cities from Islamic terrorists. The strain on the French army is such that 6 in 10 French soldiers want to quit, and the head of the French armed forces quit last year citing too many operational demands and too little funding to accomplish them.

When the French army must protect its streets, rather than its borders you cannot pretend things are fine.

My sister has been travelling to France for the last 10 years with the family camping. Last summer they arrived at a campsite they have frequented before to be confronted with the reality of armed guards at the campsite entrance. A 13yo French girl had been raped by three refugees in the campsite toilet four days previously. The local refugee centre was located in a building opposite the site.

They spent two nights before cutting their loses and moving on even though they where out of pocket. They won't be going back.

Of course not all refugees are rapists or terrorists in fact it's a tiny minority but this massive influx of people who don't respect our value systems in the West isn't going to end well.

Ignoring it and calling anyone racist for pointing out the issue is childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Isis and other jihadists are joining FSA ( free Syrian army) alongside Turkey helping them wipe out the Kurds in Syria. So-called moderate rebels a joke. I expect to see more attacks they are protected by a country now close to Europe.

Not to mention glorified by the media and western governments the BBC still refers to isis as so called ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The comments saying 'this is daily life in france now' and something to that effect are annoying theres barely been a terrorist attack of note in europe since last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

wakka12 wrote: »
    The comments saying 'this is daily life in france now' and something to that effect are annoying theres barely been a terrorist attack of note in europe since last summer

I can't belive you just said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

wakka12 wrote: »

Have you just woken from a coma or are you really that deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Graces7 wrote: »
    Before I came to Ireland, and we are going back 16 years, I was half planning to move to France; I speak fluent French...Thankfully someone far wiser than I will ever be warned m that things were heading this way .. so very sad and shocking.

You got here right on time.
    We were just exiting from a protracted period of terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mark Henderson

May he rest in peace.

Hero's like him put themselves on the line to defend us all from savages like that animal yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dunno if it’s really appropriate to say this but look who did and didn’t thank this post. It speaks volumes really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Omackeral wrote: »
    Dunno if it’s really appropriate to say this but look who did and didn’t thank this post. It speaks volumes really.

You could list out the usual progressives who avoid threads like this as it makes their whole pro islam/migration rhetoric look decidedly dodgy when events like this happen, , but I won’t as I would get a holiday from boards if I did as they love that report button!
    RIP to this brave policeman and to those who lost their lives needlessly yesterday and the family’s they leave behind!

Advertisement