Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

• 23-01-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭

Both thread topic and title suggested by Brian? and bluewolf but I thought it might be a good idea for people who wonder about meets/comps or put off by the idea that they're not ready or that they're not strong enough and maybe it's a place people can give experiences of starting out (and continuing) on the road and hopefully make other people take the plunge. But also to give a place to talk about comps as opposed to just in the off topic thread.

I did my first competition, the Leinster Open, in Sunday. The decision to do it was made about a year ago when I saw a guy I see train regularly and was a regular Joe like me and he did the Novices IPF comp so I thought I would aim for that this year because I thought I would be more comfortable doing it with other relative beginners.

As time went on and I found myself training at the same time as lads who compete and do well in comps and talking to them, it finally sunk in that people at the comps are just going to cheer you on because you've decided to step onto the platform and lifted something heavy. There's an inherent respect for that.

So I trained away and got my entry in and it was officially going to happen. And I was excited - not nervous. I always thought I would be really nervous about lifting in front of a room of strong people. On the day, the only nerves were down to whether or not I would do my training justice.

I had an idea of what I would do - I didn't expect PRs because although the last couple of weeks of training were all just squat/bench/dead, I just expected there to be a learning curve that would take me up towards PRs in subsequent meets so my targets were 97/98 for squat and dead and 97% of what my touch and go bench was because pausing bench only began 12 weeks ahead of comp.

Got there on the day at 6.10am and my flight was going to start about 8.45am. I could have gone there for 7 or so but I figured I'd feel so stiff and sh*tty at that hour of the morning that I'd need a LOT of loosening up before even considering warming up. As it turned out, I wasn't that bad at all.

Some light dynamic stretching and a big dose of porridge with whey in it.

Got the singlet on and took out the warm-up plan with timings on it. I had based it off the flight beforehand which was going to take ~45 mins so kicked off 10 mins into that flight with a can of red bull in hand. One can for warm ups of each of S/B/D.

The timing etc was made so easy by the 'order of play' for the flight being up on screen and the phenomenal efficiency of getting everything ready for each lifter.

But watched a lot in rests, soaking up the buzz. It was cool seeing everyone cheering for each other.

Time came for my first squat...stood by the MC waiting for the platform to be ready and then out I walked to squat.

Except the "Bar's loaded" call hadn't come because they weren't fully ready. Oops. Take 2: got out, got in position. "Commands, knees, chest" on repeat in my head. 3 whites. Yes! Phew.

I think I'd been worried about getting off to a start that I didn't get into it as much. Got into it then. Cheered on the other lifters, clapped the white lights, returned the good will shown to me.

Everything just built towards the end. It was electric. It really was. Going out for the deadlifts was f*cking magic. I wasn't in the shake up for places or anything but you could just feed off the atmosphere. I completely neglected my cues and the deadlifts were shocking looking. All I remember was "LOCK IT OUT, ALF". Think it was the MC. Usually I hear nothing but I heard that. So I obliged. I never usually react but I gave a good oul air punch.

Ended up equalling a couple of gym PRs and new bench PR. That helped I guess but to be honest, my decision to compete again had been made long before the end. Around the time of my first squat perhaps.

One guy in the flight before pulled what must have been a PR. His reaction was gold. A friend was there and there was a serious hug. Then with his coach. It was emotional for all three. He didn't place but that didn't matter because he'd beaten his own numbers and ultimately that's all that counts. That was a great moment...part of the brilliant vibe.

This has just been a street of consciousness post with no structure as such but it was brilliant and not at all intimidating. Chatting to people, everyone wising each other well...even in my own flight Blacktie was pulling to win and even the guy he would have beaten wanted him to lock out the lift. Kinda says it all.

Even the missus, whose only exposure to powerlifting has been to see my PR videos (and who sounds a little disappointed when deadlift PRs aren't jerked overhead) thought it was a great event.

Have the next meet pencilled in already.

If you haven't taken the plunge about doing one, for whatever reason, DO IT!

Anyway, it's supposed to be a thread for posting on meets but the idea put forward originally was for a thread to encourage people like I was a year ago who didn't think comps were for people like them.

They are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I'd like to add that the single most important thing that my first competition has given me is hunger.

I am no longer afraid of telling people my admittedly not that impressive numbers. I realise now that I'm on a journey, and I cannot wait to get back into the gym and lift more, lift heavier, eat better, sleep better...

When I did the competition I realised - I have a sport. There are associations. Fans. Support groups. Groupies (I sincerely hope ;);)). Nobody cares what weight you are, what you lift, how you look! All people want is to see your sweat, your red face, your elation at getting a PB.

I am no longer some slightly overweight guy lifting heavy things. I am a powerlifter.

Wow that sounds cool :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If I can get my totals up by year's end I'm going to have a bash off one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭COH

FTA69 wrote: »
    If I can get my totals up by year's end I'm going to have a bash off one.

Don't be the person that doesn't compete until they are strong 'enough'. None of us are ever strong enough! Just compete as soon as you can and get the experience under your belt - you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I was watching the single lifts in Boyneside on saturday and I regretted not entering .. can't wait for the nationals in March.

It becomes an obsession quickly .. and you come away from every meet with a bunch of new friends

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

COH wrote: »
    Don't be the person that doesn't compete until they are strong 'enough'. None of us are ever strong enough! Just compete as soon as you can and get the experience under your belt - you won't regret it.

This 100%.

I wish I had done it ages ago. I didn't think I was strong enough but it's not about anyone else. Whatever you lift is heavy for you and that means you're the same as everyone else there. You get nothing but respect for putting your numbers on a platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm only in my tenth week of lifting like but I get what you're saying totally. I had no idea that meets were literally... meets where people rock up and do their best regardless. That sounds great to be honest and having a focus I'd imagine really boosts your training. I'll see where I am after the old Stronglifts.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm only in my tenth week of lifting like but I get what you're saying totally. I had no idea that meets were literally... meets where people rock up and do their best regardless. That sounds great to be honest and having a focus I'd imagine really boosts your training. I'll see where I am after the old Stronglifts.

Exactly. You should have a think about joining one of the associations and looking at their lift calendars. I'm sure you'll find someone on here who's willing to say hello on the day and help you through things!

Competition makes lifters better...

Too many people go into comp worrying about other peoples numbers instead of their own. Worry about your own numbers long enough and eventually you'll become the person with the numbers everyone else is worried about :)

The only difference anyone else's numbers make are to determine where you're lifting in your flight because that affects when you warm up :)

Calendar of meets for 2017

Actually, that raises a question.

What sort of timing do people use for their warmups?

• Advertisement

Actually, that raises a question.

What sort of timing do people use for their warmups?

What I did worked out well on Sunday for me anyway.

For squat, I was doing 5 warm up sets and I knew the flight ahead was going to be about 45 mins (14 lifters) and I'd be 5 minutes into my flight.

So I started my watch from the first "The bar is loaded" command and 15 mins later, I did a set of 60x5. About 5 minutes later I did 95x3. Another 5/6 minutes and I did 107.5x2. Another 6/7 minutes and I did a single at 120. That meant I had about 18 minutes to go to my opener so squatted 132.5 for a single to leave 10 minutes until the opener.

It worked out alright because I ended up having somehow having a rack to myself to warm up.

But it started with knowing how long it would be to my opener and working back from there. Had it written down so I'd know when I'd have to start getting ready to take my turn in the warm-up area because I resumed I'd be one of 3/4 using a rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Anyone able to recommend a gym in Dublin that would provide support/ prep for a powerlifting comp. I know Hanleys (and trained there for a while) and abs gym would be the main ones but Glasnevin is very tough for me to get out to. Reading this thread just makes me want to compete and I know i dont need a specific trainer etc and I could just follow any of the numerous peaking programs etc available but im just wondering if anyone had any sort of recomendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

can you choose to compete in one lift only? like Deadlift

I really want to get into this but wouldnt mind a bit of coaching or group meets first . as mentioned in another post on here I currently am not a member of a major gym as I have the basics at my work one (squat rack, olympic bars etc. and no one else really uses it, so lone wolf here, so unsure how good my lifts are - how good my technique is etc.)

checked Dublin Meetups - no real groups exist.

Any trainers with access to gyms who thinks they could help me along please do contact me.

Based Sandyford

*Glasnevin is a non runner. wish I could commit to that one!!
    ** Council gyms operate PAYG don't they? could meet once a week there if there were a group of us in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Excellent Post! and congrats on going for your first meet! looking forward to hearing about the others

I could run a general powerlifting or first time powerlifter workshop if there's sufficient demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I could run a general powerlifting or first time powerlifter workshop if there's sufficient demand for it.

careful now !!!!

you can count me in COH

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Competition makes lifters better...

Too many people go into comp worrying about other peoples numbers instead of their own. Worry about your own numbers long enough and eventually you'll become the person with the numbers everyone else is worried about :)

I was this guy and I hugely regret never competing. Looking back on it, I was being silly. I had over 2xBW squat and deadlift, but my bench was crap. Kept telling myself I'd compete once I hit a decent bench. Life and knee injuries killed my lifting, but I'm finally back to training heavy. Would love to compete this year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

You're a legend.

they/them/theirs

Itd be great to include the commands.

Half the squats in the first round of the 74s at the weekend got red lighted for not waiting for the rack command. Literally half. One lad missed a PR on his third for racking. And that's even with repeated calls by the MC to remind them to wait for the 'rack' command.

• Advertisement

Itd be great to include the commands.

Half the squats in the first round of the 74s at the weekend got red lighted for not waiting for the rack command. Literally half. One lad missed a PR on his third for racking. And that's even with repeated calls by the MC to remind them to wait for the 'rack' command.

What kind of rack was used? Did it have to be walked out?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    What kind of rack was used? Did it have to be walked out?

One like this:

Training-Rack-Squat-and-Bench-ER-250x300.jpg

I should add, the same rack is used for the bench so on the day you'll be asked for your rack heights for squat and bench so you have to go find what height the pins are at to suit you for unracking for squat and bench.

Well, that's IPF anyway. Same gear must be used for all because anyone that wasn't a newbie knew their rack heights for those ER racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This x 1000

I did my first meet last year. Finished last in my category by a good bit, but I didn't care then and I don't care now. It was great fun and everybody was sound.

My 2nd meet is in under 2 weeks and I honestly cannot wait. I've seen the openers of the competition and yeah, I'll most likely finish last again. But who cares? Not this guy. I'm hooked.

This x 1000

I did my first meet last year. Finished last in my category by a good bit, but I didn't care then and I don't care now. It was great fun and everybody was sound.

My 2nd meet is in under 2 weeks and I honestly cannot wait. I've seen the openers of the competition and yeah, I'll most likely finish last again. But who cares? Not this guy. I'm hooked.

am chomping at the bit. kist need an intro/leg up

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've never gone a PL comp, and would be tempted. However, I'm also thinking of entering a strongman comp for the lols.
    Am I being stupid? This years events are available, im not even sure what half of them are. But could be a laugh, or an injury waiting to happen. I'd be way undersized and not expecting anything. Has anyone ever done similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone doing Abs in April? Going for the May competition myself.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone doing Abs in April? Going for the May competition myself.

Thought about it but it didn't suit so sticking with May.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

May o/

• Advertisement

I imagine the entries will go in a flash.

Advertisement