Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclist friendly coffee shops

• 27-08-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

So, I have next week off work and plan on getting in a lot of cycling.
    Looking at longer spins with coffee stops so I would like to know of any cyclist friendly coffee shops in Dublin/Meath/Wicklow/etc.

Places that won't mind me turning up with a bike and chilling out front of the shop, without fear of the bike being nicked.

I've heard good things about Fixx but not sure if they're suitable when I have the bike with me.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

This'd be a good thread to refer to for everyone.

One of the main stops is in Laragh, called Glendalough Fayre.
    It has a bike rack and foot pump if needed.

Google maps location here: (Bike rack is not in this street view but it's there)
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.009,-6.2954,3a,75y,36.12h,83.07t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWKtaUEHsHu86ocx68hQhlQ!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

loads of info in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88344010

my favs: glendalough fayre in laragh, il panorama in howth. the grangeconn cafe in blessington, cottage cafe in naul, poppies in enniskerry. should all be mapped on it

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

The Bakery at Mount Usher Gardens In Ashford is very good and bike friendly.
    Bray Wheelers and Wicklow Tri Club use it all the time. There's also the Avoca Restaurant beside it if its very cold and you want to sit inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

The happy pear in greystones. Always a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Coffee shop at Tara, always cyclists click-clacking around!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The Seamus Ennis Centre in the Naul is a nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The Antiques shop at Barberstown just outside Straffan.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

The Grange, Ballyboughal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lock 6 Opposite the barge, great independent coffee shop:

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/lock-6-coffee-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Maybe on my week off I should build a site or app that showcases cyclist coffee stops...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Few things I claim to be an expert in, but Coffee Shops are dear to my heart. Sugar Mountain in Roundwood is my favourite.
    Very cyclist friendly.Great scones served with 2 jars of different jams and a pot of cream :) or try their Banana bread for a real treat. Everything is baked or cooked in their own kitchen and the prices are very reasonable
    They also have the Cycle Superstore track pump if you are ever stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

scott.s wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Maybe on my week off I should build a site or app that showcases cyclist coffee stops...

I thought someone had done that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

I thought someone had done that already?

Not me, but the map is here:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zER3bs4RmikY.kcYAMqsjFshY

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sugar Mountain as mentioned is very good.
    Another one at the "Bray end" of Roundwood, just past the campsite advertised as "bike friendly" or something. Tables outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Plus 1 on the ones out around Laragh and Greystones, the best of which are The Happy Pear (free porridge before 11 and also serve Ferg Browns coffee from Roasted Brown)

The Happy Pear also have a branch in Shoreline Greystones where the WW200 starts.

Cafe Grey in Greystones has a bike rack and tables outside and the Italian cafe opposite Cycle Plus is also velo friendly.

Glendalough Fayre, also known as The Hippy Cafe is also excellent.

Try Kennedys on the square in Enniskerry as well as the little coffee shop by the Garda Station in Ashford.

Closer to town, 3FE on Grand Canal street always has bikes outside and is one of the best espressos in town.

Along the coast you have 2 new coffee shops in Blackrock and then you have both Muggs and the Tramyard in Dalkey..

One way or the other, I'm very envious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Planet X wrote: »
    Sugar Mountain as mentioned is very good.
    Another one at the "Bray end" of Roundwood, just past the campsite advertised as "bike friendly" or something. Tables outside.

We were out last night for a spin and there was about half a dozen hikers and mountain bikers in the campsite place at half 9! Late opening, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I don't stop very often but I have never stopped at an unfriendly one. If you are touring and stopping a lot maybe bring a lock and pick a window seat.

If you are touring and stopping a lot maybe bring a lock and pick a window seat.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) won't be carrying a lock as I'll be out for some proper training

nilhg wrote: »

This is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

If you are ever in Naas Swans on the green is the spot also in South Kildare the mad hatter in Castledermot is a great spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

I find the staff in that Laragh cafe beyond rude, they put me off the place despite quality products and a semi decent coffee. Their snooty attitude is really an off putter don't know anyone goes there.

Mystic Picnic is a relatively new one in Roundwood that uses 3fe beans
    https://twitter.com/sunandmountains

Kingfishers in Enniskerry make a respectable cup and the staff are lovely.

3fe is hard to beat if youre a purest! Lwr Grand canal street

Bear Market in Blackrock

Two Beans in Dun Laoghaire

Happy Pear in Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

calistro wrote: »
    Coffee shop at Tara, always cyclists click-clacking around!!!

Yeah +1 on that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Lock 6 Opposite the barge, great independent coffee shop:

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/lock-6-coffee-dublin

Would be really awesome if one of their customers didn't park in the bike lane every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

allez wrote: »
    I find the staff in that Laragh cafe beyond rude, they put me off the place despite quality products and a semi decent coffee. Their snooty attitude is really an off putter don't know anyone goes there.

Mystic Picnic is a relatively new one in Roundwood that uses 3fe beans
    https://twitter.com/sunandmountains

Kingfishers in Enniskerry make a respectable cup and the staff are lovely.

3fe is hard to beat if youre a purest! Lwr Grand canal street

Bear Market in Blackrock

Two Beans in Dun Laoghaire

Happy Pear in Greystones

Couldn't agree more. I never go there anymore except under duress.

Last few weeks I've been stopping at the new café outside the campsite in Roundwood. Still a work in progress and fairly basic but friendly, positive attitude more than makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

daragh_ wrote: »
    Would be really awesome if one of their customers didn't park in the bike lane every morning.

4 cars parked outside it at 6:30 this evening.

I'd consider dropping in if they ever sort this out.

Normally I wouldn't really bother except the staff here were fantastic..... anyway :

A couple of days ago I passed through Ballycumber in Offaly. It's one of those small villages you don't hear much of (clarification, I never hear much of).

I went into a place called Ennis XL (has a post office attached) and ordered a Chicken Roll and sausage rolls from the Deli counter and got a coffee from the machine. I was going to eat it outside.The lady behind the counter instead sent me into the Bar next door (Gussies Bar ?) and said she would drop in the food. It was raining for a few hours so a warm stove was appreciated and the roll and sausage rolls arrived and I tucked in. A few more riders arrived and were given the same treatment. The Tea was flying at them. The barman refilled my water bottles and even asked me did I want a bit of ice in them then he realised it was cold outside. Anyway food shovelled in and rewarmed 10 mins later I was back on the bike all jolly again.

So that's my report on Ennis XL (and Gussies ? bar). I'll be back again anytime I pass after such helpfulness (sometimes ya get a look like "oh no, not another of these wet cold clowns dripping everywhere, go on, you know the look.....so it was particularly nice to get such a welcome there).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Seamus Ennis Centre in the Naul is now on my shít list.

Sage and Stone, Duleek
    Ruby's, Ballyboughal
    Relish, Outskirts of Drogheda
    Tara Coffee Shop, Tara
    Tayto Park
    Coffee Mill, Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Inquitus wrote: »
    Coffee Mill, Maynooth
    One of my favourites with the added bonus of being able to take the bikes off-street and downstairs to the outdoors area. Generous cake portions, pleasant staff and usually a free refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Rye River Cafe in Kilcock is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Seamus Ennis Centre in the Naul is now on my shít list.

why's that inquitus, i was out there yesterday. they had us park our bikes elsewhere on the premises ( out of sight but pretty secure ) otherwise cant complain...

Advertisement