Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shoegaze

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

daUbiq wrote: »
    I never really considered "Isn't Anything" a shoegaze album, more like odd indie pop. My entry point into the classic shoe gaze sound was the early Ride and Slowdive EP's. I'd grown up with the Cocteau Twins and The Cure but didn't think much of Isn't Anything when it was released... Loveless on the other hand is definitely a shoegaze album. It has the guitar sound but "Isn't Anything" doesn't sound like shoe gaze to me at all. Loveless is, in my opinion, a far superior album which I listen to intermittently but for me Slowdive and Ride were more important because at the time they released more records, played more gigs, did more press and were only a few years older than me, whereas in 1990/1991 MBV were already beginning to fall apart.

The thing is that when the first Ride and Slowdive EPs were released, they were immediately pegged as part of the shoegaze scene. It might not have been called "shoegaze" at that point, but there was definitely a scene and MBV were regarded as the main inspiration for it. So much so that the buzz around Loveless was whether and how MBV were going to show that they were still the innovators not the imitators. Which, of course, they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

It was called shoegaze at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

I only became familiar with the name Shoegaze around the time Ride became really popular. I was listening to MBV, Cocteau Twins, Spaceman3, Loop and many others, a few years before then and to me at that time the music was simply called Alternative or maybe even Goth.
    Come to think of it, at the time most of the fans were Goth's.

I certainly was:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

daUbiq wrote: »
    It was called shoegaze at the time!

I don't think it was called shoegaze quite that early. The first Ride EP was released in January 1990; the word "shoegaze" was coined by a journo reviewing a Moose gig and Moose were only formed in 1990. I don't think it was called "alternative" then either and it definitely wasn't called "goth"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Moose were classed as "noisy indie" by me when they started off. Jack is a great track.

From memory the shoegaze label started around the summer of 1991. Around the time of Indie Top 20 Volume 12 and before Slowdive's Just For A Day (released in September and overshadowed by Creation's big three).

• Advertisement

A loose fit.

Eurythmics - Your Time Will Come.

From their debut LP produced by Conny Plank.

Like Stereolab, 10 years too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I don't think it was called shoegaze quite that early. The first Ride EP was released in January 1990; the word "shoegaze" was coined by a journo reviewing a Moose gig and Moose were only formed in 1990. I don't think it was called "alternative" then either and it definitely wasn't called "goth"!

Didn't they refer to it as the scene that celebrates itself because they, the shoegazers, went to each others gigs!

That phrase was coined by Melody Maker. Could equally apply to the Dublin scene at any time over the last 25 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Swervedriver also on a UK tour in May. I would doubt we'd get a Dublin date though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

If you like bands like lower dens,cloud nothings,wild nothings,nothing nothings,monster club,no monsters,of monsters and men or monster monster give these guys a listen.Dublin band 'shoegazey sorta'segrasso sounding great on this gem of a track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

Pinkshinyultrablast. A mix of cocteaus and slowdive from St. Petersburg of all places!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Great video of Ride performing Leave them all behind last week on KCRW. Love the guitar work on this.

Also Vapour Trail! My favourite Ride song!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Good documentary on the brilliant Slowdive album Souvlaki

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Can't describe how happy I am about this upcoming EP.

Here's their only other record, released almost 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

you absolute bastard! when i read that first i thoughth they were playing electric picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Loop are back with a bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone see Ride at Electric Picnic this? How was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyone see Ride at Electric Picnic this? How was it?

Yep. It was loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Yep. It was loud.

What sort of set list? A good mix of tunes, or major focus on Going Blank Again album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Lush announced today that they're reforming - so fecking excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

roll wrote: »
    Pinkshinyultrablast. A mix of cocteaus and slowdive from St. Petersburg of all places!

Only began listening to these recently, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Cherry Red are releasing a 5 disc shoegaze compilation this month. Still In A Dream: A Story Of Shoegaze 1988-1995

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/check-out-our-official-trailer-for-still-in-a-dream-a-story-of-shoegaze-1988-1995′/

Cherry Red are releasing a 5 disc shoegaze compilation this month. Still In A Dream: A Story Of Shoegaze 1988-1995

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/check-out-our-official-trailer-for-still-in-a-dream-a-story-of-shoegaze-1988-1995′/

Wow, that 5 disc set looks like it might be worth a punt!

iomega wrote: »

This I require :)

I don't know most of the bands on it, but 31 pounds for 5 CDs isn't bad! Though, when I read "rarities", does that mean tracks that didn't make it to albums!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭mgkelly

iomega wrote: »

I either have or have heard an amazing quantity of what is on here, but looks very tasty! Must have! :)

mgkelly wrote: »
    I either have or have heard an amazing quantity of what is on here, but looks very tasty! Must have! :)

I'm going to go and pre order this blindly!

• Advertisement

Ordered this yesterday. The tracklisting is very comprehensive regarding the bands of that period and there's quite a few bands I've never listened to.

It is however missing Canada's answer to The Verve:

Advertisement