Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Oslo, Norway

Unholy
    Address: St. Olav's Gt. 23, St Hanshaugen

Unholy used to be located in central Oslo, but it's now located about 10 minutes (by foot) from Karl Johan's Gate.

I was in Unholy a few years ago before it moved. It was a great spot, great music and crowd and the beer was fairly cheap. It was really busy one of the nights, Saturday I think but was really quiet on the Sunday night. It was just myself and two friends and four locals. They were really friendly, invited us to join them and we had a great drunken night despite it being empty. I must check out the new bar if I'm ever back in Oslo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I was in Unholy a few years ago before it moved. It was a great spot, great music and crowd and the beer was fairly cheap. It was really busy one of the nights, Saturday I think but was really quiet on the Sunday night. It was just myself and two friends and four locals. They were really friendly, invited us to join them and we had a great drunken night despite it being empty. I must check out the new bar if I'm ever back in Oslo.

You should definitely check it out next time you're in Oslo. Since the post you quoted me on, I've been there loads of times. It's brilliant. The staff are really nice. I can't fault it at all - and I can be a critical b!tch when it comes to pubs! :D
    As for the locals, I've yet to meet a Norwegian that I don't get along with. They're all lovely. Sunday nights are usually pretty quiet, but it's the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is there much of a language barrier in Norway? Any Norwegians I've met in Ireland have all had fluent English but it might be a bit different in their home country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Malice_ wrote: »
    Is there much of a language barrier in Norway? Any Norwegians I've met in Ireland have all had fluent English but it might be a bit different in their home country.

Not in the major cities. In the more rural areas, they prefer if you speak Norwegian, although they do know English. All of the Norwegians I know speak fluent English. In fact, their spelling and grammar is better than that of a lot of native English speakers I know. If you're a tourist, they'll speak in English to you. They appreciate it when tourists make an effort, though. If you're living there, you're obviously expected to have a good grasp of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Malice wrote: »
    I came back from Norway on Tuesday so let me report! :) All Norwegians I've met in Oslo spoke English much better than me (which is not so hard).
    I've been to Inferno festival at John Dee and Rockefeller. That was amazing!
    Btw, there is a helpful list of the rock pubs of Oslo on the Inferno homepage: http://www.infernofestival.net/festival/venues.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Any experience with Hungarian metal pubs?
    I'm going to Budapest next week. I've checked with the metaltravelguide already but it seems to me that the most of the information is too old. Some of the clubs mentioned there do not exist anymore.
    Has anyone been to Budapest? Are the people ok? Is it more or less safe there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

My local whenever I'm back home in Antwerp, Belgium :)

De Rots
    http://www.de-rots.be/

It's a nice pub, two floors with often a few bands playing (Sabaton choose it as their local whenever they're in Belgium, for example).
    Also has a shop next door with tons of material, everything from the new stuff to older, rare LP's, t-shirts,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hey I didn't want to start a new thread for a request knowing there was a sticky here.

But would anyone know of absolutely anywhere in Kilkenny that would constitute as a rock-bar? (even a bit of metal on the jukebox would suffice........of course with decent beer on tap! :pac:). Thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Anyone? And before you ask, yes I've done a search in this thread and in the rock and metal forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Perhaps it's worth mentionning that The Pint on Eden Quay now has some metal nights (friday & saturday, I believe) and hosts concerts quite often - Dublin Doom Day to name but one.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    LaBaguette wrote: »
    The Pint on Eden Quay
    Done and done. I'm not sure how I missed them when they were originally posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

The Gypsy Rose is missing from the Dublin list
    The Hobgoblin in Camden, London
    Bogiez in Cardiff too
    :D
    Handy thread....off to Edinburgh soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Went to Club Hell for the first time on Saturday night, and it sure lived up to it's name, it was Hell

What a pile of crap!!! All tables inside reserved, sat outside and only 1 heat lamp worked!!

Fcuk that, headed up to Fibbers Rock bar and had a stormin night

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

chin_grin wrote: »
    Hey I didn't want to start a new thread for a request knowing there was a sticky here.

But would anyone know of absolutely anywhere in Kilkenny that would constitute as a rock-bar? (even a bit of metal on the jukebox would suffice........of course with decent beer on tap! :pac:). Thanks a mil.
    Don't think there is one bud, did a search meself a while back and the folks on metal-ireland would say yer best best would be the Pumphouse or Anna Condas, after that there's not that much info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Haha! They've Mr. Bungle's entire self-titled album on the jukebox in Sally Long's in Galway! Awww yeah, this'll be good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I know the OP is 2 years old, but are the cork listings up to date? I was in club hell at the weekend and despite it being packed I really enjoyed it, and I'd like to find something similar in cork. Whenever I pass freds during the day it looks uninviting.

I'd love to find a cork bar like fionnbarra's but with a rock/metal vibe.

Can any corkonians help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I know the OP is 2 years old, but are the cork listings up to date? I was in club hell at the weekend and despite it being packed I really enjoyed it, and I'd like to find something similar in cork. Whenever I pass freds during the day it looks uninviting.

I'd love to find a cork bar like fionnbarra's but with a rock/metal vibe.

Can any corkonians help?

Nope, the first post is more or less right for Cork. Freds isn't a bad place, might seem a bit uninviting at first but it is a relaxed place and you should have no problems in there. An Cruiscin Lan is very similar to Freds, usually putting on death metal gigs more than once a month and then various other types of music, metal and not, at different times. thb, I don't really like the place and would prefer Freds.

Iggy Rocks on South Main Street might also be worth a look. I'm pretty sure that is a rock venue, but I've only been there once and didn't really like it.

If you are looking for a club, Freakscene might be your best bet. They play a couple of mainstream rock tunes, but it is mostly an alternitive music venue.

So, Freds looks like the best of a limited bunch down here.

Actually, Malice, is there any chance that you could remove The Quad from the original list since it is sadly no longer with us. :(

I know the OP is 2 years old, but are the cork listings up to date?
    Well happily I have long since moved back to Galway so I am relying on others to keep me up to date with venue details.
    Actually, Malice, is there any chance that you could remove The Quad from the original list since it is sadly no longer with us. :(
    That's a pity. I gave up on Freds once they converted most of the downstairs part to a smoking area and The Quad swiftly became my favourite. I spent many happy nights watching all sorts of bands in there.
    I'll update the first post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Well happily I have long since moved back to Galway so I am relying on others to keep me up to date with venue details.

Cork wasn't that bad now was it? :p
    That's a pity. I gave up on Freds once they converted most of the downstairs part to a smoking area and The Quad swiftly became my favourite. I spent many happy nights watching all sorts of bands in there.
    I'll update the first post now.

I'm really pissed that it closed. It really was a great in supporting the local music scene in Cork and beyond and not just rock and metal. There seems to be no one else picking up from where they left off, which is a real shame. Plus, they are turning it into an overflow pub for the trendy night club above it. :mad:

The smoking area in Freds is a bit of a balls alright. The place is small enough already without sealing off one area for a small number of people.

• Advertisement

Cork wasn't that bad now was it? :p
    No, you're right. In fairness I enjoyed a lot of things about Cork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Been meaning to try Sally Long's in Galway.. I'm not a fan of the Róisín, and never been inside Muddy Maher's either.

Denny M wrote: »
    Been meaning to try Sally Long's in Galway.
    I have walked into Sallys a few times in recent months and walked straight out again. Between skangers on the pool table, the stink of piss from the toilets and the DJ playing some charty pop horseshit presumably in an attempt to get a crowd in it has really lost its way.

Having said that, some other recent nights there have been great. A decent DJ or better yet no DJ so the jukebox can be unleashed and enough people to drown out the skangers and cover the smell from the toilets - sorted :).
    Copious quantities of alcohol may also help!
    Denny M wrote:
    never been inside Muddy Maher's either.
    Neither had I until a few months ago. It used to be called The Stage Door but it's changed hands and the new owners seem to be making a conscious effort to get a live music scene going which I can only applaud them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

my recent trip to club hell planted the seed of an idea in my mind:

a weekly rock/metal club or night in a bar/club not usually known for that kind of music

[top gear] how hard can it be?[/top gear]

i'm a blow in to cork myself, so i dont know how sewn up the local scene, or even if i'd get a look in.

what pubs would even tolerate me going in and saying "listen, i'll set up some gear in the smoking area, play some tunes, play all requests i can, and you chuck me a few quid or free pints"

i'm not talking about a full on club for starters, just decent tunes, nobody dances in a smoking area anyway....its just for something to listen to.

would it work, or would it even be allowed to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Has anyone mentioned Catalyst or Lockdown? They're more club nights than anything but they're both on every fortnight, Catalyst is on in the Academy 2 and Lockdown is on downstairs in the Lost Society. I've been to both and they're fairly good; especially if you like a bit of rock and pop punk-esque music. Also a bit of hardcore thrown in. Lockdown also has themed night sometimes, focusing on particular styles of music. There's a Slam Dunk UK tour happening in December and they're coming back to Lockdown. That should be a laugh

Lockdown
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Lockdown-Dublin/126186677482532

Catalyst
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/catalystofficial

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Wandering around Galway a few days ago, and I saw that Muddy Maher's is now called An Sibin, there is still a bit on the sign about live music though.

Wandering around Galway a few days ago, and I saw that Muddy Maher's is now called An Sibin, there is still a bit on the sign about live music though.
    Noticed that, is that gaff any good for music? I walk past there when walking into town.

Nailz wrote: »
    Noticed that, is that gaff any good for music? I walk past there when walking into town.
    I haven't actually gone in yet, the only places I've really gone are Sally's and the Roisin. I live about 3 minutes away from the place (pretty much right across from Sally's), and I've just never gotten around to going in.

I haven't actually gone in yet, the only places I've really gone are Sally's and the Roisin. I live about 3 minutes away from the place (pretty much right across from Sally's), and I've just never gotten around to going in.
    Cool, I might pop my head in there once my time frees up and see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Deltion

There's a new rock bar open in Limerick. 'The Blind Pig' in Foxes Bow, just off Thomas St.

The idea is that there'll be live music there on weekends.

http://www.metalireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=922987&sid=a7961bf81d331cd4ed5f3780838a0ad3

EDIT: I found their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003098075054

Advertisement