Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2009, 19:47   #1
jap gt

banshee

hey i have been reading this forum for a while, very interested in banshees, does any one here claim to have seen/heard one
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-12-2009, 18:10   #2
Pollythene Pam

Im a Murphy, so the banshee is supposed to follow our family.
On the night one of us dies, we're supposed to see her.
"she'll follow the O Mhuricu's till the night they die"
I think I saw her once myself or It could of just been my ex without any make-up on.
Crap, Im trolling again...ah well another two week ban.......
Thanks from:
05-12-2009, 19:20   #3
OakeyDokey

Hey

My father claims to have seen one like 50 years ago walkig home from a dance that was going on in the village he was with his brother and a friend and him and his friend saw it and fled they jumped across a river that was nearby because a banshee can't cross a river they have to follow the current. There is a saying that he always used to say ''Two out of three can see a banshee'' which means only two people out of a group can see her.

My father knows loads about them the stories he has told me so scary, my mother also has said she heard a banshee the night her grandmother died. scary stuff I think
06-12-2009, 04:10   #4
Banned

My sister saw one outside her bedroom window once, the next morning we got word that one of the neighbours died.

He was an O'toole, while we're Byrne.

I think they only follow some families.
20-12-2009, 16:03   #5
Fuinseog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap gt View Post
hey i have been reading this forum for a while, very interested in banshees, does any one here claim to have seen/heard one

the last know banshee report was in county dublin in the 1970s.
Advertisement
21-12-2009, 18:30   #6
Banned

Who do I report such a sighting to?

I'd say there'd be more sightings but they go unreported because fear of ridicule.
21-12-2009, 18:56   #7
tricky D
NSAbot: Second Variety

Suppose to follow the McNicholas name too. My uncle on the mother's side, a McNicholas, reckons he heard one when his father died in Dublin in the 70's. Dunno myself.
21-12-2009, 19:21   #8
Fuinseog

it can be heard or seen or both but only exists if people belive in it.

its great craic when you are sitting at home waching the box and the power goes off. people take out candles and start telling stories the banshee usually crops up at some stage.

otherwise the fear of ridicule is great. most peope under 40 don't believe in the faeries any more. a sceach will be cut down or a ring fort destroyed.

if you are interested in the banshee check out Edddie Lenhan who lives in Crushee Co Clare.
Thanks from:
21-12-2009, 19:23   #9
Fuinseog

Quote:
there is a book out on the banshhe by patricia L...

worth reading
Advertisement
24-12-2009, 11:55   #10

Eddie Lenihan is a great storyteller and a very warm, friendly man. I've never heard him tell a banshee story but I bet he has bags of them.

Banshees are supposed to follow 'aristocratic' bloodlines. Any stories I've heard/read involve them being found at crossroads, combing or washing their hair. A story crops up from time to time of a banshee's comb being stolen and the thief being followed home and haunted. The thief uses some iron tongs to hand the comb through a door or window. The tongs are bent when he pulls them back in and the thief's hair has usually turned grey.
(3) thanks from:
30-12-2009, 11:28   #11
Watch Ryder

Quote:
My nanna heard one once just prior to a death in the family over in Eire.

I've seen a Leanan Sidhe a couple of times.

It's from the Irish bloodline I think
30-12-2009, 11:31   #12

I am scourged by them on a regular basis.

Only I can see and hear them though.

When I try to shout them down to be quiet, people on the bus stare at me.
30-12-2009, 11:34   #13
jkrowling

myself and my sister have heard the banshee cry, and each time it has been followed by a death or a serious illness in the family. the last time my sister heard her my mother passed away. Have never seen one though. The cry is a mixture between a cat and baby crying.
30-12-2009, 11:36   #14

I think it sounds like a mixture of a chimpanzee screaming and a police siren.
(3) thanks from:
30-12-2009, 11:50   #15
jkrowling

for anyone thats interested I have listed the names of the families she is supposed to wail for. Apparantly if the bond between family and banshee is strong she will wail to warn of an impending death no matter what country the family memeber is in. Don't know how true this is though?

Adamson, Ahren, Barry, Bowe, Brady, Brennan, Browne, Caldwell, Carrol, Cartwright, Carey, Cassidy, Coady, Colahan, Conroy, Conway, Cooney, Coughlin, Cox, Cullen, Culleton, Cuskelly, Daly, Dawson, Dempsey, Dewan, Dillon, Doyle, Dowd, Duggan, Dwyer, English, Ennis, Fallon, Faris, Flanagan, Flynn, Fogarty, Fox, Gaffney, Gallagher, Galligan, Gannon, Gavigan, Geoghan, Geraghty, Gill, Glennon, Griffin, Griffith, Halton, Hanley, Hannon, Hayden, Hayes, Healy, Hegarty, Higgins, Holohan, Jennings, Jordon Keane, Keany, Keating, Keegan, Kehoe, Kenny, Kirwin, Lacey, Lawrence, Lee, Lonergan, Lynch, Lyster, Madden, Malone, Manning, Martin, Meehan, Miller, Monohan, Moran, Morrissey, Mullen, Mulligan, Murphy, Murry, MacBride, MacCarthy, MacCormack, MacDermott, MacDonnell, MacEntee, MacGoldrick, MacGovern, MacGrath, MacGuinness, MacGuire, MacKenna, MacMahon, MacManamon, MacNally, MacNamara, MacNiff, MacPartlan, MacQuaide, Naughton, O’Brien, O’Byrne, O’Connor, O’Donnell, O’Donovan, O’Gready, O’Hanlon, O’Keefe, O’Leary, O’malley, O’Neill, O’Reilly, O’Rourke, O’Sullivan, Peters, Potterton, Power, Quin, Roche, Roe, Rehill, Ryan, Rynne, Scally, Scott, Shanahey, Sherlock, Sinnot, Smith, Stafford, Steward, Strong, Sullivan, Sutton, Sweeney, Tully, Wall, Walsh.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion