Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-05-2009, 22:56   #16

Once you know you have a genuine interest in magic my advise would be to find out about your local magic society. There are links to all the societies in Ireland on a new site I started for people with an interest in magic in Ireland.

Brendan

Last edited by 6th; 18-06-2009 at 09:18.
Advertisement
18-06-2009, 01:32   #17
RodVelvet

I am more interested in the mentalism side of things. Have any of you read the encyclopedia of new stage hypnotism by ormond mcgill and if so what did you think of it?

Have read Derren Brown' s book and am going to see if I can get that book by Corinda. Anyone else have any other suggestions?
18-06-2009, 01:38   #18
zuroph
mo-duh-rator

is it hypnotism u want? have you started on it? Id recommend Reality is plastic. google it
18-06-2009, 09:30   #19
oeb

Send a message via MSN to oeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodVelvet View Post
I am more interested in the mentalism side of things. Have any of you read the encyclopedia of new stage hypnotism by ormond mcgill and if so what did you think of it?

Have read Derren Brown' s book and am going to see if I can get that book by Corinda. Anyone else have any other suggestions?
I'm not a mentalist, but I have read good things about Osterlinds Easy To Master Mental Miracles. It's a 4 DVD set.
18-06-2009, 13:50   #20
???

I am a mentalist! To start get 13 steps by Corinda and Theo Anneman's Practical Mental Magic and I would also say Paul Brook's The Alchemical Tools (reviewed on MagicIreland.com. That gives a ridiculously solid grounding in it all. After that Osterlind's stuff is great as is the rest of Paul Brook's.

If Hypnosis is what you want get Reality is Plastic by Anthony Jacquin. There is also the upcoming Manchurian Approach DVD from Alakazam that I make a small appearance in! That looks set to be absolutely brilliant!
Advertisement
22-09-2009, 15:08   #21

hi

think u need to start at an vearly age,or buy sum gud books and vids
22-09-2009, 15:38   #22
oeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by damosee View Post
think u need to start at an vearly age,or buy sum gud books and vids
Age does not matter. All it takes is interest.
31-01-2011, 10:00   #23
Banned

Great Post...........Thank you
08-02-2011, 12:19   #24

Is there any way we can get more links to online resources here for those of us who can't splurge on loads of expensive books? Not to mention it's pretty hard for me to find English books in my area of Germany and ordering is well out of my price range..

It's something I have a great interest in but just plain don't have the money for the bloody books and trying to find valid, reliable information on the 'net is hard if you don't know the ins and outs of what you're looking for.
Advertisement
08-02-2011, 12:26   #25
horgan_p
General Dogsbody

Are you looking for reviews ? or somewhere to buy books in German ?

If you're looking for exposure sites , I think you'll find most people here wouldnt like them being posted.
08-02-2011, 12:28   #26

I just want to know how to start but don't have the money to invest initially, times are tough. I have a genuine interest in picking up some sleight of hand and learning more about mentalism, but as I said I don't know where to start or where to look. All I've been able to do is watch Derren Brown and Penn & Teller and try to figure it out by sight and it's not going so well
08-02-2011, 12:31   #27
horgan_p
General Dogsbody

Just pick up the royal road to card magic. Its on amazon for £4.48 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new, cheap as chips and will keep you going for months.
08-02-2011, 12:38   #28
zuroph
mo-duh-rator

Hi Liah,

There should be a few good basic guides to start from online, i'm on way out to work, but will have a look this evening for you.

In the mean time, FB and Twitter are your friend. Subscribe to people like Jay sankey, as he often puts up free tutorial videos of basic effects for one day only.
Thanks from:
08-02-2011, 13:33   #29
oeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by liah View Post
I just want to know how to start but don't have the money to invest initially, times are tough. I have a genuine interest in picking up some sleight of hand and learning more about mentalism, but as I said I don't know where to start or where to look. All I've been able to do is watch Derren Brown and Penn & Teller and try to figure it out by sight and it's not going so well

You can likely get the Royal Road to Card Magic, 13 Steps, Bobo's modern coin magic and Mark Wilson's complete course in magic for less than 50 euro for the lot (And 25-30 of that is Wilson's book).
23-02-2011, 14:31   #30

Some excellent pointers there. Magik ha salways been intriguing to me! I have great respect for the field and the dedication that is involved.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion