Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 14:41   #16
Patrick Brown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 95
I think the reason nobody's ever made a film of it is (a) it's not that well known outside Ireland except among language scholars, and (b) stylistically and narratively it's all over the place. It's got brilliant characters, some of its episodes are outstanding, but as a coherent story it struggles to hold together, and it would take a screenwriter a lot of work to make a script out of it.

I'm not a filmmaker, but I've done the work. My adaptation of the Táin as a webcomic, The Cattle Raid of Cooley, appears every Wednesday at http://paddybrown.co.uk. Check it out.
Patrick Brown is offline  
Advertisement
12-09-2008, 15:21   #17
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Brown View Post
I think the reason nobody's ever made a film of it is (a) it's not that well known outside Ireland except among language scholars, and (b) stylistically and narratively it's all over the place. It's got brilliant characters, some of its episodes are outstanding, but as a coherent story it struggles to hold together, and it would take a screenwriter a lot of work to make a script out of it.

I'm not a filmmaker, but I've done the work. My adaptation of the Táin as a webcomic, The Cattle Raid of Cooley, appears every Wednesday at http://paddybrown.co.uk. Check it out.
Must have a look at your website Patrick.

Hollywood has never claimed to reflect "history".

"The Right Stuff" is not the history of the Space Race and "Reds" sure is not the history of the Bolshevik Revolution.

So only stuffy scholars would expect a film version of The Tain to mirror the story exactly.

Hollywood's motto is "If the Myth differs from the Truth.. film the Myth."

There is a lot in the Tain which would make a blockbuster.

P.S:
Excerpt from the original Tain and nice portrait of the leading lady here:

http://www.banknotes.com/ie70.htm


.
Pgibson is offline  
14-09-2008, 21:14   #18
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by session savage View Post
I would do a whole trilogy of an Tain. An epic trilogy though with each film about three hours long, to properly tell the story.

You could start with the curse of macha, the birth of setanta, his training and eventually the events which lead to his name cu chullainn. The first film would introduce all the important characters like ferdia etc and be based around the boy setanta becoming cu chullainn

The second film would tell the story of the argument between meadb and Ailil and the gathering of her army and the march to ulster all the time being attacked by cu chullainn

The last film would tell the story of the climactic battle, the battle between ferdia and cu chullainn, the death of cu chullainn and the battle between findbennach and the donn.

Aw man what a deadly trilogy that would be.


I would cast an unknown as cu chullainn
Colin Farrell as ferdia
dunno who else.

i think its time to email peter jackson
gino85 is offline  
14-09-2008, 23:13   #19
Patrick Brown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgibson View Post
Must have a look at your website Patrick.

Hollywood has never claimed to reflect "history".

"The Right Stuff" is not the history of the Space Race and "Reds" sure is not the history of the Bolshevik Revolution.

So only stuffy scholars would expect a film version of The Tain to mirror the story exactly.

Hollywood's motto is "If the Myth differs from the Truth.. film the Myth."

There is a lot in the Tain which would make a blockbuster.

.
Not sure what you're arguing with there - to follow the story exactly would make a very bad film, because the original is such a mess. The material is good, the characters are fantastic, but it would be hard work to adapt, and since it's not so well known and doesn't bring an automatic worldwide audience, Hollywood isn't likely to want to put the work in. They prefer the easy way, which is why "historical" films are always so inaccurate.

Audiences are the same. You'll not get them to commit to a trilogy unless they already know and like the material (eg Lord of the Rings) or you make a stand-alone first installment that's so good they'll come back for more (eg Star Wars).

So what's the alternative? Read the webcomic and you'll see
Patrick Brown is offline  
15-09-2008, 03:24   #20
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,976
do any of the novelisations go halfway towards a film?
lostexpectation is offline  
Advertisement
15-09-2008, 11:14   #21
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,307
It would be great to see Cuchullains image to be based on Slaine.

WindSock is offline  
15-09-2008, 11:22   #22
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,384
I'm sure they could adapt it to fit the line ' THIS - IS - EIREAAAAAAA! ' into it somewhere.

I have thought of this before, however its the whole size of ireland/key demographic thing. In a lot of irish myths it isn't happy happy at the end, ie main hero + best friend DIE, evil death goddess wins, evil queen only pushed back etc
Phototoxin is offline  
15-09-2008, 12:16   #23
GhostInTheRuins
Registered User
 
GhostInTheRuins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototoxin View Post
I'm sure they could adapt it to fit the line ' THIS - IS - EIREAAAAAAA! ' into it somewhere.
I have to admit this made me chuckle
GhostInTheRuins is offline  
15-09-2008, 13:23   #24
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,384
I envision it something like this ...


"Cows and water, a token of Leinsters submission to the will of The Queen'

"Cows and water.. you'll find plenty of both down there *nods to pile of shyte*

*exchange dodgy looks with other people*

"You cannot threaten a messenger !!! "

"You want come here to steal out wimmenz and rape our cows, you threaten our farmers with industrialisation and death..."

"This is madness !!!'"

"Congratulations, THIS IS EIREAAAAAA !"

*kicks messenger into pile of cow dung*
Phototoxin is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2008, 19:21   #25
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,307
Said in a mock Oirish/Scottish accent: You can take our cows, but you will never take our mealworms.
WindSock is offline  
16-09-2008, 08:32   #26
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSock View Post
Said in a mock Oirish/Scottish accent: You can take our cows, but you will never take our mealworms.
Naw.

Has to be the Aran Islands Accent...

Dublin, Cork, Galway City, Limerick,Belfast etc. accents are too ugly.

Imagine Gerry Adams being Cu Chulainn. Yuk.



.
Pgibson is offline  
16-09-2008, 10:35   #27
Patrick Brown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 95
Ailill and Medb can have western accents, but Cú Chulainn's an Ulsterman. He has to have a northern accent. But he wouldn't sound like Gerry Adams, who talks like no-one else on earth.
Patrick Brown is offline  
16-09-2008, 12:39   #28
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Brown View Post
Ailill and Medb can have western accents, but Cú Chulainn's an Ulsterman. He has to have a northern accent. But he wouldn't sound like Gerry Adams, who talks like no-one else on earth.

Two modern day Irish equivalent leaders would be the Connacht leader Mary Robinson and the Ulster leader Ian Paisley.

We could have Medb speaking like Mary Robinson shouting “Mna Na H’Eireann Abu” in her Connacht accent.

And we can have Cu Chulainn shouting “Ulster Will Fight” and “No Surrender” in Ian Paisley’s Ulster accent.

Why didn’t I think of it before?

.
Pgibson is offline  
16-09-2008, 15:15   #29
Patrick Brown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgibson View Post
And we can have Cu Chulainn shouting “Ulster Will Fight” and “No Surrender” in Ian Paisley’s Ulster accent.
And shouting "Lundy!" at Fergus.
Patrick Brown is offline  
17-09-2008, 11:51   #30
Stollaire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 865
In your opinions should the potential film (Fionn agus na Fianna / Táin Bó Cúailnge, Clann Lir srl ) be made in Irish?
Instead of English with an Irish accent.
For proper authenticity.

Last edited by Stollaire; 17-09-2008 at 11:55.
Stollaire is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet