Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introduction to Astronomy, Want a telescope? Please read before posting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

If you didn't want to make one you could always purchase a universal phone adapter like:

This or this for example

Links to ebay

slade_x wrote: »
    If you didn't want to make one you could always purchase a universal phone adapter like:

This or this for example

Links to ebay

Err.... yes just like the first link I posted. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 1983ish

Hi all
    I’ve read the sticky but I’m still a bit clueless as to which telescope to go for as a beginner.
    On a budget of 200 what would you go for if you were starting all over again?

Thanks in advance

I always suggest to absolute beginners is to buy a decent set of Binoculars with a Tripod attachment and Triopod.
    My reasons for this is.
    1. Beginners scopes are nothing more than glorified toys and nothing more!
    2. A decent set of Bins for around €150 with have far superior optical qualities over one of the "toy scopes".
    3. Its a very quick set up and very portable.
    4. If you find you enjoy it, you can then take plunge into the minefield of serious money amateur astronomy.

Whatever you do just enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 gem16

Hi all, just jumping in here, as the topic has turned back to binoculars. My Dad would like a good pair of bins (max budget:200) for looking at the night sky. (amateur astronomy!). Preferably not too heavy, but we are realising that many are quite weighty. I’ve seen some people on here say that 10x50s should be fine. He had already picked up a pair in O’Learys camera world in Cork City but ended up returning them as they seemed to have been only for nature/bird watching. Could not see anything clearly at night with them. Any recommendations please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Binoculars when used for stargazing really need a tripod support or at the very least a monopod. I should think seriously hard before going to any larger sized binos without the purchase of a support.

10 x 50 should be ideal really, what was your dad trying to see?

gem16 wrote: »
    Hi all, just jumping in here, as the topic has turned back to binoculars. My Dad would like a good pair of bins (max budget:200) for looking at the night sky. (amateur astronomy!). Preferably not too heavy, but we are realising that many are quite weighty. I’ve seen some people on here say that 10x50s should be fine. He had already picked up a pair in O’Learys camera world in Cork City but ended up returning them as they seemed to have been only for nature/bird watching. Could not see anything clearly at night with them. Any recommendations please?

When purchasing a set of Bins for Astronomy. Buy a Tripod and a Tripod attachment, this will make for a much more enjoyable and practical way to look at the night sky.

Thanks Pat and Rubecula and sorry for the delay in getting back to ye.
    I appreciate what you are saying re the tripod etc but I don't see my Dad spending very long outside at night. (Well who knows..he may become addicted!) - but certainly at the moment, he would be cautious enough with minding his health etc so probably would not stay put for too long.
    Rubecula, it does sound as if 10x50s would be plenty. As he would be a complete amateur, he would be happy enough just checking out the moon/any larger planets etc...I'm not knowledgeable at all myself here.

Any particular brands worth recommending..like Nikon etc?

I have a pair of Minolta 10 x 50 not the best but good quality, no need to go for the very expensive types as we do not know how serious he is yet, Shop around and look for good pairs with coated lens etc etc you could make a monopod easy enough to support the binos. and if he wants to use a chair you can make a shorter rest to rest on his thigh maybe a tray to hold a notepad or hot drink?

• Advertisement

Thanks again Rubecula. Good suggestions. I'm not sure if (Konica) Minolta binos are still available? I read online that the company dropped the camera side of their business (and it looks like binoulars went with them).
    Any other suggestions? One final question also - is it typical for decent binoculars to be quite weighty?

Thanks!

Lightweight binos are usually too small to be honest 10 x 50 s magnification (10) times size of lens (50mm) yes you can get higher mags in small binos but to hold them steady enough to use is not easy.

I said I had minolta purely as an example, anything of similar style will do really but try to get a support for them, honestly I can not emphasise this enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Would something like the following be OK, or would you need to move up in price to get something decent and usable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binocular-Watching-Sightseeing-Traveling-Binoculars/dp/B01H1MFMDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547825762&sr=8-5&keywords=10x50+binoculars

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Would something like the following be OK, or would you need to move up in price to get something decent and usable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binocular-Watching-Sightseeing-Traveling-Binoculars/dp/B01H1MFMDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547825762&sr=8-5&keywords=10x50+binoculars

look ok to start out with but remember to get a stand to hold them steady, good way to start though, well found.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Bawnmore wrote: »

The price honestly doesn't tell you much, I purchased a bresser bak-4 pair from lidl a long time ago for around €20-25 if I remember correctly which is a stellar price.

I don't see what type of glass prisms it uses. the normal for around that price would be BK7

These are the cheapest for £12.95 I see on amazon but they weirdly state Bak-7 instead of BK-7, at that price point I cant imagine its a typo for Bak-4. They also state they are tripod compatible though:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binoculars-High-Powered-Surveillance-Binocular-travelling/dp/B07CNY3MFF/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547875946&sr=8-22-spons&keywords=10x50+binoculars&psc=1

Moving up to a brand however I see the Celestron UpClose G2 for £35
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71257-UpClose-Porro-Binocular/dp/B006ZN4TZS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1547875946&sr=8-18&keywords=10x50+binoculars
    but these don't seem to be well received by the reviews 1 star to 3 star

They are also likely overpriced as they are £26 on binoculars-uk
    http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/Celestron_Upclose_G2.html

The good thing about amazon is you can check the lowest rated reviews, which I would recommend, I always look through the 1 to 3 star reviews myself but having that said the original ones you linked seem to be received very well.

This is what my Bresser pair look like but are unavailable and likely discontinued
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Binocular-Accessories/Bresser-10x50-Hunter-Porro-Binoculars/B00B5AOH9Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Good advice on the reviews - went with the ones I posted after reading all good and bad reviews. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Celestron 21045 PowerSeeker 114EQ Reflector Telescope https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000Y8C2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D5O3DbWRYGAZ1

Is that telescope good value? I am buying a telescope as a Christmas gift for my family. Have a small budget. Roughly €120. Hoping to get something with a black Friday discount

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Surely this is a steal?? esp for a Celestron

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Celestron-60LCM-60mm-Computerized-GoTo-Refractor-Telescope/373053360144?hash=item56dbb68810:g:myMAAOSwzFlevnNh

the telescope itself is a tad low spec with a 60mm aperture ..but with a goto mount seems like good deal,

fryup wrote: »
    Surely this is a steal?? esp for a Celestron

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Celestron-60LCM-60mm-Computerized-GoTo-Refractor-Telescope/373053360144?hash=item56dbb68810:g:myMAAOSwzFlevnNh

the telescope itself is a tad low spec with a 60mm aperture ..but with a goto mount seems like good deal,
    We had a post about a similar scope only a couple of days ago

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058078429

• Advertisement

yes but with respect, the Bresser hasn't got a computerised/goto mount and Celestron are a better make aren't they?

yes but with respect, the Bresser hasn't got a computerised/goto mount and Celestron are a better make aren't they?

It’s all about the aperture and at this price range both the Celestron and Bresser are very similar.
    Apperture rules! A bigger lens or mirror means brighter, sharper images
    A 60mm scope is simply too weak to offer any worthwhile viewing apart from the Moon and perhaps Jupiter and it’s Moons, don’t expect to see the Great Red Spot or the Gas Bands. It’s unlikely you make out the Rings of Saturn in any real detail either. Galaxies or other features will just be smudges.
    My response for this price range, is to buy the very best Binoculars you can and a good Tripod.

well can you recommend a good starter scope?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A dobsonian scope offers the best value. Large aperture at a more affordable price relatively speaking. Great for the moon and planets.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A dobsonian scope offers the best value. Large aperture at a more affordable price relatively speaking. Great for the moon and planets.

The Dob will certainly give you more bang for your buck. The following is a good one for not a massive outlay
    https://ktectelescopes.ie/Skywatcher-Skyliner-200P-Parabolic-Dobsonian-Telescope.html

ok i'm pondering over these two refractors - they're both in my price range 200'ish

one is the latest Celestron with starsense technology it a "semi goto" in the sense you attach your phone to it and the starsense app will guide you to your chosen target - its however only got slow adjustment on the altitude you have to nudge on the latitude and the aperture is 80mm

Celestron

the other one is a Meade got a slightly bigger aperture at 90mm and has slow motion adjustment on both axises

Meade

*so which would suit me best as beginner to astronomy and also a daytime birdwatcher ?

ok i'm pondering over these two refractors - they're both in my price range 200'ish

one is the latest Celestron with starsense technology it a "semi goto" in the sense you attach your phone to it and the starsense app will guide you to your chosen target - its however only got slow adjustment on the altitude you have to nudge on the latitude and the aperture is 80mm

Celestron

the other one is a Meade got a slightly bigger aperture at 90mm and has slow motion adjustment on both axises

Meade

*so which would suit me best as beginner to astronomy and also a daytime birdwatcher ?

Celestron, own Meade, so effectively the optical components will be of the same quality.
    I wouldn’t be to hung up on “go to” technology. Id be looking for the best optical quality and largest aperture, you can get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lidl have some cheap and cheerful 10x50 binoculars on sale. € 19.99

Might be handy to have as a sacrificial pair that others or kids can borrow.

Calvin and Hobbes on that particular subject https://imgur.com/gallery/5BAVaZt
    my favourite strip is the one about the glue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

For years I have wanted to get a decent telescope and mount that I can take nice photos with, I find the whole area very intimidating, refractors/reflectors, different mount types, Do I even need a telescope for night sky photography etc...

I have a Canon EOS 5Dmk3 and some L lenses, I have taken decent enough shots with that and a tripod in dark sky areas.
    But can only do really 30s exposures before they start to blur.

I read the review of the new Canon EOS Ra and got depressed when I saw the price tag.

Perhaps I can take lots of shots with my regular setup and stitch the photos together using astro imaging software, is there good free ware that can detect the stars in your image and line them up - since they will be in slightly different positions as the photos are taken.

These are fairly decent photos from what I have , but they could be so much better ...

28801262281_accf484827_c.jpg

28929699746_2317d59ea4_c.jpg

28772488562_6791c17553_c.jpg

Then I've been told there is also mounts you don't need a telescope for, just can put the camera right on it ....

Don't know, I find I am stuck in moving on ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

If you want a simple tracking mount to let you take longer exposures have a look at this.

Michael.

Advertisement