Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that piece...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fredWald

Anyone know the name of the classical piano piece that features throughout the film "I am Legend"?
    The score was by James Newton Howard but i cant find the name of the piece.

It is likely a unique composition by JN Howard. The title will correspond to a track title on the soundtrack. I do not know what track it is featured in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Would anyone know what piece is used toward the end of ''There Will Be Blood''?
    I THINK it may be Brahms but I'm quite unsure!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

A quick google says that it could well be Brahms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Will_Be_Blood_(album)

though most of the score was composed by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead (who's also the BBC's resident composer).

I'm afraid I can't tell you what Brahms' piece it is as I haven't seen the film yet :)

Ah tis OK I'm sure someone will eventually tell me! Or I shall find it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    anyone know what the piece is in the new ad for the renault magane? The ad itself is a load of car parts whizzing down a hallway and assembling as the car,a yellow sports megane. So anyone know what the piece is?? I was sitting here with my guitar when it came on and I figured out 2 bars from it just because of it's repetitive nature. It's a total shred piece and I'd love to see someone playing it on a violin! Vanessa May, cause she's hot! ahem! thanks! ^^

Here you go! Vivaldi Title The Four Seasons, Summer Movement 3: Presto I don't know who is playing it but it sounds like Nigel Kennedy judging by the speed!!!One of the best freebies with a newspaper (I think it was the Mail on Sunday)a few weeks ago, was the original Kennedy recording of the The Four Seasons:D

• Advertisement

Ah tis OK I'm sure someone will eventually tell me! Or I shall find it myself!

Hi

The piece is the first movement from Brahms' Violin Concerto Op 77. But be warned, it is not on the soundtrack. You should be able to pick up a CD of it for under €10 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

Vinnie69 wrote: »
    Here you go! Vivaldi Title The Four Seasons, Summer Movement 3: Presto I don't know who is playing it but it sounds like Nigel Kennedy judging by the speed!!!One of the best freebies with a newspaper (I think it was the Mail on Sunday)a few weeks ago, was the original Kennedy recording of the The Four Seasons:D

THANKS SOOO MUCH! I found in the meantime and I've been trying to learn a few bits of it! Such a wicked arrangement! Thanks again Vinnie!

Vinnie69 wrote: »
    Hi

The piece is the first movement from Brahms' Violin Concerto Op 77. But be warned, it is not on the soundtrack. You should be able to pick up a CD of it for under €10 :D
    Thank you very much. I assume it'll be on Naxos then?

Thank you very much. I assume it'll be on Naxos then?

Yes but if you are around Dublin, I am sure that you will get a better (but older) recording by a famous violinist, cheap enough. My old friend Harry from Naxos will murder me if he saw this!!!:D

Anyone know the name of the song on the ad on BBC1 for "The Apprentice" ?

Kind of sounds like a the Darth Vader tune. Very Soviet, maybe tchaikovsky?

Really want to know what this is, if I make Tank Crewman I'd love to trundle around with this on! XD

• Advertisement

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the song on the ad on BBC1 for "The Apprentice" ?

Kind of sounds like a the Darth Vader tune. Very Soviet, maybe tchaikovsky?

Really want to know what this is, if I make Tank Crewman I'd love to trundle around with this on! XD

The Apprentice has included various pieces of classical and popular music throughout. Numerous pieces from film soundtracks are also used. Examples of the music used include the opening theme (which is "Dance of the Knights" from Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev) and "The Boardroom", "You're Fired" and "Closing Credits" from The Apprentice (Original Theme) by Dru Masters. An official soundtrack was released on 4 June 2007.[127]

The following link will give you more information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(UK)

Vinnie

Excellent! It's actually the advert for the apprentice, I'm not sure if it's actually a song played on the show(the british version) if you catch it on BBC then let me know if you know it! Thanks Vinnie! ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 parsonsd

Oeneus wrote: »
    OK. I'm looking for a classical piano piece that I heard years ago on an episode of, ehem*, Tom and Jerry. OK, yeah yeah, I know. But does anybody know what I'm on about? Tom (the cat) was basically playing this piece at a concert, and Jerry (the mouse) was just trying to piss him off while doing his performance.

Does anyone know the piece I'm looking for?

The piece used in that episode was Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 by Franz Liszt. Interesting side-note, the episode was nominated for an academy award for best short animation or whatever that year(1940s i think). Also nominated was a Bugs Bunny episode called Rhapsody Rabbit featuring the exact same piece of music and the same premise (pianist trying to perform this techincally demanding piece and mouse pissing him off). There was war over MGM and Warner Bros both claiming to have been robbed. I think Tom and Jerry won... Im not a cartoon nerd by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

The slogan is "plays with the city". Would like to know what the music is. Operatic soprano thing, I think it is Italian. Any ideas? thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

It's from La Traviata - "Follie! Sempre Libera" Don't know who's singing it but it's one of Violetta's arias in the opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Hello all,

I heard a piano piece on Lyric FM at around quarter past six today, and would really like to look it up on Youtube. I could have sworn it was called "the wave" by an Italian Pianist, but this isn't turning up any results anywhere, even if I Google it.

Would anyone have any clue of the piece I'm on about? Sorry I can't be more specific. Maybe it goes by another title?

Edit: I found it after a bit more rooting. It was 'Le Onde'.

Rineanna wrote: »
    Hello all,

I heard a piano piece on Lyric FM at around quarter past six today, and would really like to look it up on Youtube. I could have sworn it was called "the wave" by an Italian Pianist, but this isn't turning up any results anywhere, even if I Google it.

Would anyone have any clue of the piece I'm on about? Sorry I can't be more specific. Maybe it goes by another title?

Edit: I found it after a bit more rooting. It was 'Le Onde'.

Yea Its by Ludovico Einaudi A great composer google him His music is great, the cd also called "Le Onde" is one of his best one -- beautiful & relaxing ! check him out on Amazon.com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jayson

The piece I'm trying to find has been used in a few commercials and trailers, including possibly a lord of the rings movie and zathura I think. It sounds a lot like O Fortuna by Mozart. There should be a partial rendition of it attached here (ignore the purple eighth note). Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Hi, when the euro vision was in Norway the break enterrainment was a group of rocker looking guys playing classical music on chellos etc. I was sure the name was 'apocolypto' and was hoping to find a CD by them but no luck on play.com or that. Does anyone know who I am on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Hi, when the euro vision was in Norway the break enterrainment was a group of rocker looking guys playing classical music on chellos etc. I was sure the name was 'apocolypto' and was hoping to find a CD by them but no luck on play.com or that. Does anyone know who I am on about?

It was Finland.
    The band is called Apocalyptica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

The piece I'm trying to find has been used in a few commercials and trailers, including possibly a lord of the rings movie and zathura I think. It sounds a lot like O Fortuna by Orff ;).

Hi there. I've heard this tune on occasions and wondered
    what it was too. If it is the same piece we have in mind, I
    think it's likely to be a modern piece for string orchestra or
    quartet, most likely written for advertisement. I scratched
    around on youtube looking for something of similar weight/
    texture and found this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W73UErBmXEQ

Hope someone figures it out! HTH :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jayson

Unfortunately that's not it... it's a lot more dark, dramatic, and intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

If anyone remembers The Riordans, RTE's rural soap opera from the 1960s/70s, I would love to know the title/composer of the signature tune.

It was an orchestral piece and seemed to be based on an Irish dance tune.

Many thanks in advance.

If anyone remembers The Riordans, RTE's rural soap opera from the 1960s/70s, I would love to know the title/composer of the signature tune.

It was an orchestral piece and seemed to be based on an Irish dance tune.

Many thanks in advance.

I think that it was an original piece written for the show. Try ringing RTE Sound Library, they are always helpful and let us know the result :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sack lunch

Please please please help me identify this piece. Recorded it from the radio to tape about 6 or 7 years ago

http://www.iol.ie/~mountain/job/misc/tape.mp3

It's quite long so I made it a low quality mp3. The last 3 or 4 minutes are what really moved me. Any help much appreciated. Even if you don't know it you could name some composers/performers of the same style. I might be able to find it that way.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

sack lunch wrote: »
    Please please please help me identify this piece. Recorded it from the radio to tape about 6 or 7 years ago

http://www.iol.ie/~mountain/job/misc/tape.mp3

It's quite long so I made it a low quality mp3. The last 3 or 4 minutes are what really moved me. Any help much appreciated. Even if you don't know it you could name some composers/performers of the same style. I might be able to find it that way.

Thanks

Gorecki's 'Beatus Vir'. I didn't know it, but it sounded very like his 3rd symphony, and googling the latin psalm quotes & his name turned it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sack lunch

sdep wrote: »
    Gorecki's 'Beatus Vir'. I didn't know it, but it sounded very like his 3rd symphony, and googling the latin psalm quotes & his name turned it up.

carlton.gif

thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

does anyone know this piece, its by chopin I think, and its basically for piano. It features in grade 8 set lists. It would best be described as haunting/beautiful, lots of chromatic runs with arpeggios on bass and a really awesome minor major transition somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Sounds like you're talking about the posthumous C-sharp minor nocturne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I don't think its that one. Most likely the wrong key but the sequence of notes in the piece sounds like this hopefully (terrible at reading notes):

a sharp X3, g sharp, c sharp, b flat, c natural, c sharp, f sharp, f natural, d sharp, f natural, d natural, c sharp, a natural, a flat.

Advertisement