Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brittany ferries now taking 50% unrefundable for Irish customers

• 22-10-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Tried to book last night and they are taking half now. This is too much of a deposit. Rang them and they said it's the same for uk for this ticket type but I doubt uk one is unrefundable...unless I stand to be corrected

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They must be losing business with people switching when they get a better deal? They got to protect themselves.

Not sure why its an issue as if you have to cancel for a good reason, travel insurance will cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

They must be losing business with people switching when they get a better deal? They got to protect themselves.

Not sure why its an issue as if you have to cancel for a good reason, travel insurance will cover it?

50% is the issue. That's a lot of dough for a very long time. It's not them protecting themselves. It s a bit irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The UK site has the same terms and conditions for amendments/cancellations

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    The UK site has the same terms and conditions for amendments/cancellations
    100% deposit non refundable?

rightmove wrote: »
    100% deposit non refundable?
    Literally the exact same terms and conditions (actually there's a typo on the Irish site, as well as a single extra line: "Applications for any refunds must be made within 4 weeks of the return travel date"):
    Irish site wrote:
    Confirmed Booking
    We require payment to secure a booking, the amount of which will either be a percentage of the full booking value (with the balance to be paid 60 days before travel) or the full booking value. This is dependent on the type of ticket purchased, which will be advised at the time of booking and which is summarised in the table below:
    Ticket type Economy Standard Flexi Special offers
    Payment requirements No deposit option. Full payment is required at the time of booking. A deposit of 50% of the total booking value is payable upon booking, with the balance payable 60 days before outward travel. A deposit of 25% of the total booking value is payable upon booking with the balance payable 60 days before outward travel. No deposit option. Full payment is required at the time of booking.
    [...]
    CANCELLATIONS BY YOU AND REFUNDS

We know things don't always go to plan, and therewill be occasions when you may need to cancel your booking. We therefore offer a range of ticket types which have different cancellation rules so that you can choose the best option for your requirements. The table below sets out the cancellation fees which will apply per person, together with the refund arrangements, depending on the type of ticket you have purchased. Unless a refund is stated to be made by way of vouchers, all refunds shall be made using the payment method used to make the booking.

Applications for any refunds must be made within 4 weeks of the return travel date
    Days until scheduled outbound travel date Economy Standard Flexi Special offers
    Over 60 Non-refundable Cancellation Fee: 50% of price of ticket
    Refund: 50% by voucher Cancellation Fee: 25% of price of ticket
    Refund: 75% Non-refundable
    15-59 Non-refundable Cancellation Fee: 50% of price of ticket
    Less than 15 Non-refundable Non-refundable Cancellation Fee: 25% of price of ticket
    UK site wrote:
    CONFIRMED BOOKING
    We require payment to secure a booking, the amount of which will either be a percentage of the full booking value (with the balance to be paid 60 days before travel) or the full booking value. This is dependent on the type of ticket purchased, which will be advised at the time of booking and which is summarised in the table below:
    Ticket type Economy Standard Flexi Special offers
    Payment requirements No deposit option. Full payment is required at the time of booking. A deposit of 50% of the total booking value is payable upon booking, with the balance payable 60 days before outward travel. A deposit of 25% of the total booking value is payable upon booking with the balance payable 60 days before outward travel. No deposit option. Full payment is required at the time of booking.
    [...]
    CANCELLATIONS BY YOU AND REFUNDS

We know things don’t always go to plan, and there will be occasions when you may need to cancel your booking. We therefore offer a range of ticket types which have different cancellation rules so that you can choose the best option for your requirements. The table below sets out the cancellation fees which will apply per person, together with the refund arrangements, depending on the type of ticket you have purchased. Unless a refund is stated to be made by way of vouchers, all refunds shall be made using the payment method used to make the booking.

Days until scheduled outbound travel date Economy Standard Flexi Special offers
    Over 60 Non-refundable Cancellation Fee: 50% of price of ticket
    15-59 Non-refundable Cancellation Fee: 50% of price of ticket
    Less than 15 Non-refundable Non-refundable Cancellation Fee: 25% of price of ticket

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

FAQ on irish site says 25% deposit...not 50%

FAQ on irish site says 25% deposit...not 50%
    Currently true, but as is pointed out during the booking process:
    Ferry Booking Terms and Conditions

The ferry terms and conditions applicable to your booking are based on your outbound travel date. Our conditions have changed for outbound sailings on or after 22 April 2020.
    With links to both sets of T&Cs just below that. UK website says the same

28064212 wrote: »
    Currently true, but as is pointed out during the booking process:With links to both sets of T&Cs just below that. UK website says the same

Bookings from ireland are expensive and 50% is ridiculous. Customers should be protected from this

Bookings from ireland are expensive and 50% is ridiculous. Customers should be protected from this

In fairness, if your booking a flight for holidays you pay it all up front.

In fairness, if your booking a flight for holidays you pay it all up front.

I dont spend over a grand to get to france on a plane...apples and oranges. 3 or 400 quid was enough of a deposit to avoid ppl jumping . This is greed

• Advertisement

I dont spend over a grand to get to france on a plane...apples and oranges. 3 or 400 quid was enough of a deposit to avoid ppl jumping . This is greed

Cost of a flight has nothing to do with. Your saying the customer should be protected, but they are. With the amount of switching between the ferries going on, they will soon look for the full price and are within their rights.

Cost of a flight has nothing to do with. Your saying the customer should be protected, but they are. With the amount of switching between the ferries going on, they will soon look for the full price and are within their rights.

That's nonsense..if you have to give 25% non refundable it's not worth switching. 50% is pulling the mick

That's nonsense..if you have to give 25% non refundable it's not worth switching. 50% is pulling the mick

But if your buying anything you usually pay up front, I still don't get your argument customers must be protected?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Am i missing something here? Be grateful it's not 100% up front

Like me going in to Tesco, doing my weekly shop, giving them 50% of the total shop cost and saying i'll give you the remaining 50% after i eat all the food

Am i missing something here? Be grateful it's not 100% up front

Like me going in to Tesco, doing my weekly shop, giving them 50% of the total shop cost and saying i'll give you the remaining 50% after i eat all the food

No it's not like that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Destination & resultant prices are irrelevant.

Flights to Eurpoe, for a family, could easily be upwards of a grand and further afield could be pushing a grand each.

If I, or anyone else, books flights to anywhere it's money up front in full and tough sh!t if the prices drops or dates change or whatever.

Just because ferry companies have been incredibly flexible up to now doesn't mean it makes sense for the them to continue to do so.

IF are still €100 deposit FWIW.

Eurocamp is 100 euro to book and the ferry should be at most a couple of hundred ...not 50%. I dont care what silly analogy you come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

It's been my experience when someone says "that's too much", what they're really saying is "I can't afford it", or "i'm too tight to pay that".

When it comes to people complaining about booking deposits and terms of service including cancellation policy, that they know better in how that company should conduct business, then they're not exactly the customers the company wants.

This 50% cuts the wheat from the chaff. The valuable customer from those less valuable.

It's been my experience when someone says "that's too much", what they're really saying is "I can't afford it", or "i'm too tight to pay that".

When it comes to people complaining about booking deposits and terms of service including cancellation policy, that they know better in how that company should conduct business, then they're not exactly the customers the company wants.

This 50% cuts the wheat from the chaff. The valuable customer from those less valuable.

Having travelled with brittany ferries many times and never cancelled your comment is nonsense

Having travelled with brittany ferries many times and never cancelled your comment is nonsense

You're entitled to your opinion, but before I even consider it first tell me:

What makes you think that you know better than the company actually engaged in providing the service? What insider knowledge do you have that backs up your assertion. It is your opinion that it is too much, I think they know far far more than you.

If you don't have any intention of cancelling, and have never cancelled before, then why are you so irked? Is there a possibility that you might cancell? And if cancellation isn't a problem for you, is your thread not nonsense?

You seem to believe that you are entitled to BF conducting their business in the way that you want it or in the way they did in the past. Why should they? If you don't like it go elsewhere instead of running the company down.

BTW Why don't you go with someone else?

Your nine posts so far have yet to receive any thanks. It looks to me that very few people agree with you. Move on with your rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How is it greed? They need more of a deposit because people are abusing the service. Its mad that they don't ask for it all up front in the first place.

How is it greed? They need more of a deposit because people are abusing the service. Its mad that they don't ask for it all up front in the first place.

Where is your proof of abusing the service...big words

You're entitled to your opinion, but before I even consider it first tell me:

What makes you think that you know better than the company actually engaged in providing the service? What insider knowledge do you have that backs up your assertion. It is your opinion that it is too much, I think they know far far more than you.

If you don't have any intention of cancelling, and have never cancelled before, then why are you so irked? Is there a possibility that you might cancell? And if cancellation isn't a problem for you, is your thread not nonsense?

You seem to believe that you are entitled to BF conducting their business in the way that you want it or in the way they did in the past. Why should they? If you don't like it go elsewhere instead of running the company down.

BTW Why don't you go with someone else?

Your nine posts so far have yet to receive any thanks. It looks to me that very few people agree with you. Move on with your rant.

Might go with irish ferries or just go to longford instead.

Hope it's not Centreparcs or you will be soon back complaining about them requiring a booking deposit, when the nearest camping ground doesn't require any to pitch a tent:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Where is your proof of abusing the service...big words

The higher deposit, obviously. Asking for a deposit is not greed.

Look, if you don't like it then move you business elsewhere. No one else seems to agree with you though.

If u go centre parcs, u will surely give out on the cost of the extras

If u go centre parcs, u will surely give out on the cost of the extras

Probably but no doubt you will be the first person defending them anyhow. They are looking for elves for the chrimbo if you are interested

The higher deposit, obviously. Asking for a deposit is not greed.

Look, if you don't like it then move you business elsewhere. No one else seems to agree with you though.

You have a lot agreeing with you though..I have noticed that. Very curious though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Very simple science here, 100 people book for 5th jan, ferry is booked out. Company take no more bookings.

Only 67 turn up on the day, ferry company lose 33 possible sales .

Why on earth do you think it's bad form for a ferry company to want a 50 percent deposit ?

Hopefully that start looking for the full wack up front like airlines and trainlines etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I think 50% is quite reasonable.

Allows people time to save the other 50% if they need to

Advertisement