Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Got my mirror covers back after being sprayed last week. Hoping to fit them tomorrow exciting times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lads is there much difference between the michelin PS4s and PS4? I'm looking at prices on oponeo and they have the PS4s in 275/35 which fit my rears but not in 245/40 for the fronts. Also, they have different load index for front and rear. I'm guessing it should be the same all round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

As far as I know the PS4S replaced the Pilot Super Sport, and the PS4 is the replacement for the PS3.

Not sure hooch. Didn't the pilot sport 4 replace the 3? And the pilot sport 4s is just a sportier version of the 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Wailin wrote: »
    Not sure hooch. Didn't the pilot sport 4 replace the 3? And the pilot sport 4s is just a sportier version of the 4?

Yes the pilot sport 4 replaced the 3 I know that for certain. The PS4s might be overkill on your car (depending on what it is) as the PS4 would be perfectly capable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Pilot sport 4 s replaced the super sport, fantastic tyre - probably the best i've ever had in the dry but not as good as the regular Pilot sport or F1's in the wet*

*Not a bad tyre in the wet by any means but when you push it on it will break traction easier than the others.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Yes the pilot sport 4 replaced the 3 I know that for certain. The PS4s might be overkill on your car (depending on what it is) as the PS4 would be perfectly capable.

535d f10. Has Bridgestone potenzas on since I got it 2 yrs ago and they have no grip in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd say the 4(non s) would be fine. Is there much difference in price? I have the 4s on the rear of my car, and no complaints but I suspect I'd have the same opinion of the 4.

Comparison video here if you're interested:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-vs-Pilot-Sport-4-S-vs-Cup-2.htm

I half joked about this before, but I'm serious in that the "velvet" sidewalls on the rear of my car are noticeable.
    IMG-20191020-193120.jpg
    In this picture it looks like I have dressed my rear tyres and not my front. It's just the front are Michelin's Pilot Super sports and have "normal" tyre walls, and the rears have that velvet finish. They look much better in the flesh. All vanity I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Seen a Toyota dealer post on Facebook re "facelifted" CHR.

Seems the car has Apple Carplay and Android Auto as part of a new multimedia system.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaay, 6 years late!

This might open the door to it being rolled out on existing customers headunits

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'd say the 4(non s) would be fine. Is there much difference in price? I have the 4s on the rear of my car, and no complaints but I suspect I'd have the same opinion of the 4.

4s a little bit more expensive, but not much. Went ahead with the PS4, it has better wet grip according to that video which suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Wailin wrote: »
    4s a little bit more expensive, but not much. Went ahead with the PS4, it has better wet grip according to that video which suits me.

You won’t regret it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Had the weirdest experience today on the road.

On a dual carriageway overtook a car in lane 1, using indicators etc... pulled in as soon as the overtake was complete. White Van coming up behind rather fast and pulled in right behind me. The van stayed sat on my bumper until the exit. Lane 2 was clear for the next 1.5km so plenty of room for the van to have overtaken.
    At first, when he pulled in so close I thought he may have been a Garda, so I let the 5km/h I was doing over the speed limit bleed off without using the brakes.

It kinda felt like someone with a dashcam goading me into brake checking them. The weirdest part was, my missus was driving in a car behind me. The van didn't even touch the brakes while in lane 2 and could have easily passed me without pulling in. She called me to ask me to be careful due to the aggressive driver. Van stayed right up behind me and took the same exit, had to slow down as the speed limit dropped to 50km/h.

Who knows, maybe I'll be the next star of Dublin Dash Cams!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

liamog wrote: »
    Had the weirdest experience today on the road.

On a dual carriageway overtook a car in lane 1, using indicators etc... pulled in as soon as the overtake was complete. White Van coming up behind rather fast and pulled in right behind me. The van stayed sat on my bumper until the exit. Lane 2 was clear for the next 1.5km so plenty of room for the van to have overtaken.
    At first, when he pulled in so close I thought he may have been a Garda, so I let the 5km/h I was doing over the speed limit bleed off without using the brakes.

It kinda felt like someone with a dashcam goading me into brake checking them. The weirdest part was, my missus was driving in a car behind me. The van didn't even touch the brakes while in lane 2 and could have easily passed me without pulling in. She called me to ask me to be careful due to the aggressive driver. Van stayed right up behind me and took the same exit, had to slow down as the speed limit dropped to 50km/h.

Who knows, maybe I'll be the next star of Dublin Dash Cams!

Was probably blind as a bat and used you to see the light....
    Or thought oh I like the look of them from behind I'm going to sit here and check them out....

I'm still veering with the blind option..... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Sounds like a standard enough white van man.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Was probably blind as a bat and used you to see the light....
    Or thought oh I like the look of them from behind I'm going to sit here and check them out....

I'm still veering with the blind option..... ;-)

Not sure any vehicle can slip stream behind a VW Up. Maybe a Smart car!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

mildly interesting mileage

nVKoXebl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Barely run in!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's no 80,085 miles

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's no 80,085 miles

It's 108801 miles. Not bad for an '02
    Barely run in!

Closest thing to a new car I've ever had. They're a very well put together car. Hardly any slop or wear in anything.

I other classic car news :pac: I found out last night that vintage tax is 30 years from date of manufacture not first registration as I thought. Possible game changer for my e30 which was regged in september. Going to root out the log book now. Entering into a very interesting decade for the vintage tax system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Date of manufacture is pretty much always down as date of registration.

uto7mQUl.jpg

Nothing on the logbook only first registation september and production year 1990. The VIN decodes as either March or July :confused: July I'd say.

The thread I was reading last night seemed to suggest you could shave a few months off if you had proof of manufacture date from the main dealer.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's no 80,085 miles

Now I get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Interslice wrote: »
    Now I get you!

Boobs

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

E39 Touring
    The one that got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Gents,

I bought a car a few weeks ago, signed the logbook and seller sent it away and I got it back there last week. It was an old brown logbook so it had to be sent to the Dublin tax office and processed manually.

Anyway, the previous owner is still getting tax renewal forms and he could even log onto the tax website with his pin, and my details are coming up (name/address)...

Can anyone shed light on wtf is going on? I’d guess the tax reminders are automated, but surely his pin should no longer work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Stolen from Facebook.

FB-IMG-1571921937094.jpg

Just recieved one of my michelin ps4 tyres from oponeo. Shouldn't brand new tyres have a thread depth of 8.0mm? I'm getting 7.0-7.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did they have the manufacturer's label stuck to the thread or has it been worn off? 8mm tread is usually what new tyres come with.

I know sometimes they sell ex-display or returned tyres at a slightly reduced price but normally they state it in the advert. Nearly 1mm wear is well beyond ex-display though. I'd be returning them if that's the case especially if you paid full price for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Online reviews seem to state that they're being made with a tread depth of 7.0 - 7.2mm...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement