Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best H7 LED bulbs?

Options
  • 21-10-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good, bright set of H7 LED bulbs to fit into projector lenses? One of my HIDs blew last week so said I'd try LEDs and went with a cheapo eBay set to see if they would work. They do, but no surprises the light output isn't great, so just looking for recommendations, if any?

Cheers, lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The light from LED bulbs in headlight housing that was never designed for LED bulbs will always be poor, scattered and potentially blinding to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

bazz26 wrote: »
    The light from LED bulbs in headlight housing that was never designed for LED bulbs will always be poor, scattered and potentially blinding to other road users.

The headlight housing has projector lenses and the car came with HIDs from the factory, so I would imagine they're fine for LEDs. Also, LEDs mimic the design of regular halogen bulbs so there should be no scatter or blinded drivers, not one person flashed at the car with them fitted yet, anyway.

Anyway, from looking at the linked thread, it appears they are not road legal so will be coming out.

I don't want to get into a big debate about it but lenses designed for LED headlights are not the same as lenses designed for xenon or halogen headlights irrespective of whether they are all projector type lenses or not. Light emitted from a LED bulb is different to that from a xenon or halogen bulb. It's one reason the ebay bulbs you bought performed poorly and one reason they are not road legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't want to get into a big debate about it but lenses designed for LED headlights are not the same as lenses designed for xenon or halogen headlights irrespective of whether they are all projector type lenses or not. Light emitted from a LED bulb is different to that from a xenon or halogen bulb. It's one reason the ebay bulbs you bought performed poorly and one reason they are not road legal.

Yeah, probably right. Thought I'd give them a try as they were way cheaper than replacement OEM xenons but it's not worth it for the drop in visibility and safety.

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Yeah, probably right. Thought I'd give them a try as they were way cheaper than replacement OEM xenons but it's not worth it for the drop in visibility and safety.

Get yourself a set of Osram Nightbreakers or Philips Xtreme Vision, way better than most standard halogen bulbs.

Advertisement