Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tier 2 proposals published

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

cms88 wrote: »
    While Horan seems to have been bery keen to get it done before he left it was couty boards who voted for it.

I've been saying ti for years and still stand by it. What's the issue with it? People keep going on about coverage etc Are Div 3/4 teams getting wall to wall covrage as it is?

If they dont want to play in a second tier it's pretty simple, either win it or get themselves to a level where they can get to a provincal final
    Any county looking for capital grants for infrastructure could have kissed them good bye if they had voted against

Seems to be the way things are done in the GAA now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Any county looking for capital grants for infrastructure could have kissed them good bye if they had voted against

Seems to be the way things are done in the GAA now

So are making accusations against the GAA as a whole in saying they were told to vote a certain way or they would lose any chance of grants? That is some accusation if so.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So are making accusations against the GAA as a whole in saying they were told to vote a certain way or they would lose any chance of grants? That is some accusation if so.

We all know it's the case and how these things are always done, there's no point in pretending it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

We all know it's the case and how these things are always done, there's no point in pretending it isn't.

But we don't. I have never heard this accusation before. I see other accusations, for example, counties voting to keep Dublin in Croke Park due to the generation of funds via gate receipts. Never heard a county being threatened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Pat Spillane, the two tier championship will not be good for football, his ten reasons why it won't work.

1. Weak get weaker

As has been demonstrated in hurling, the new competition won’t improve a lot of the weaker counties. Essentially the tiered hurling championship has become a box-ticking exercise. I fear a similar fate for Tier 2 football.

2. Lack of game time

Some counties will continue to play only two championship games in the new look championship. How are they expected to improve?

3. Rich get richer

This vote was an exercise in elitism, which I’m afraid permeates throughout the GAA nowadays. The Liam MacCarthy Cup in hurling is now restricted to 12 teams and we have the Super 8s series in football.

The GAA is mirroring what’s happening in wider Irish society, where the rich are becoming richer and the weaker are being virtually cut adrift.

4. Club/county balance

The new second tier is ignoring the biggest elephant in the GAA – the necessity of getting some kind of balance between the inter-county and club fixtures. I can’t understand the haste in going ahead with the new series when the report of the Calendar Review Task Force is due to be published next month.

5. Decision making

Surely the decision should have been left to those most likely to directly impacted upon. Why would Dublin, Kerry or Kilkenny be unduly worried about a Tier 2 football championship? Significantly, half of the counties directly affected voted against the proposal.

6. TV exposure

Delegates were told that the final of the new championship is likely to be shown live on TV, thus guaranteeing it a high profile. Well I wouldn’t hold my breath – that’s a bit of like saying Brexit will work out grand.

7. All-Star tours

The other carrot dangled was the selection of a separate All-Star team and the possibility of a tour. Again I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

8. Financing

On the tour theme, who is going to finance such a trip? Again the GAA has a habit of awarding only the elite when it comes to trips abroad.

Last year, for example, half of the participating counties in the Liam MacCarthy Cup got trips abroad. Galway and Kilkenny went to Australia while Limerick, Clare, Cork and Wexford played in Boston.

9. Disinterest

My hunch is that a sizeable chunk of the players who are eligible to play in the Tier 2 championship will opt out. As soon as their team is eliminated from the provincial series they will be more interested in hopping on a plane and heading for the US.

10. Sponsorship

The new competition will be heavily marketed and promoted by the GAA. This is another from the ‘I wouldn’t hold my breath’ category. The GAA’s PR department does not have a stellar record, and much will depend on whether the association can secure an a stand-alone sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Pat Spillane, the two tier championship will not be good for football, his ten reasons why it won't work.

1. Weak get weaker

As has been demonstrated in hurling, the new competition won’t improve a lot of the weaker counties. Essentially the tiered hurling championship has become a box-ticking exercise. I fear a similar fate for Tier 2 football.
    what exactly would improve those counties? And by improve what would you expect as improvement. Tiered competition gives counties more games at a suitable level and a more reasonable expectation of success.
    2. Lack of game time

Some counties will continue to play only two championship games in the new look championship. How are they expected to improve?
    a tiered competition still gives them more competitive games and reasonable chance to progress.
    3. Rich get richer

This vote was an exercise in elitism, which I’m afraid permeates throughout the GAA nowadays. The Liam MacCarthy Cup in hurling is now restricted to 12 teams and we have the Super 8s series in football.

The GAA is mirroring what’s happening in wider Irish society, where the rich are becoming richer and the weaker are being virtually cut adrift.
    the Liam McCarty is restricted to 12 sides but how many others were competitive at any level. GAA has always had an elite anyway. Inter county always was the elite so what's different now?
    4. Club/county balance

The new second tier is ignoring the biggest elephant in the GAA – the necessity of getting some kind of balance between the inter-county and club fixtures. I can’t understand the haste in going ahead with the new series when the report of the Calendar Review Task Force is due to be published next month.
    the balance between club and inter county is entirely within clubs and county boards themselves to change things to help make things better.
    9. Disinterest

My hunch is that a sizeable chunk of the players who are eligible to play in the Tier 2 championship will opt out. As soon as their team is eliminated from the provincial series they will be more interested in hopping on a plane and heading for the US.
    what percent already leave for US? If you have decent prize for winner. Guaranteed place in top tier for following year then you will keep people from going abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

1. Weak get weaker

2. Lack of game time

3. Rich get richer

4. Club/county balance

5. Decision making

Surely the decision should have been left to those most likely to directly impacted upon. Why would Dublin, Kerry or Kilkenny be unduly worried about a Tier 2 football championship? Significantly, half of the counties directly affected voted against the proposal.

6. TV exposure

Delegates were told that the final of the new championship is likely to be shown live on TV, thus guaranteeing it a high profile. Well I wouldn’t hold my breath – that’s a bit of like saying Brexit will work out grand.

7. All-Star tours

The other carrot dangled was the selection of a separate All-Star team and the possibility of a tour. Again I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

8. Financing

On the tour theme, who is going to finance such a trip? Again the GAA has a habit of awarding only the elite when it comes to trips abroad.

Last year, for example, half of the participating counties in the Liam MacCarthy Cup got trips abroad. Galway and Kilkenny went to Australia while Limerick, Clare, Cork and Wexford played in Boston.

9. Disinterest

10. Sponsorship

The new competition will be heavily marketed and promoted by the GAA. This is another from the ‘I wouldn’t hold my breath’ category. The GAA’s PR department does not have a stellar record, and much will depend on whether the association can secure an a stand-alone sponsor.

Well number 9 can't happen anyway. Says a world about Pat's knowledge.
    If you play championship intercounty senior, you can't get a transfer abroad until you county has finished up for the year so it's impossible for lads to hop on a plane to the US once the provincials are over. This is a massive difference compared to the situation when the Tommy Murphy cup was in operation.

The new system clearly has its flaws but at least it's some sort of change.
    It should improve things somewhat especially in terms of sides in Division 4 getting two championship hidings in a year.

No-one thinks it's going to be a magic bullet and Division 4 teams are going to be competing for All-Irelands but it is an improvment on the current situation where you have Tier 2 sides wandering through the qualifiers waiting for their time to run out.

I'd be hopeful after the three year trial there's a realisation of the value of competitive games between teams of similar levels. It will be interesting to see what sort of success there is from the counties who buy in to this.
    The side who win will probably have a championship record of something like P5 W4 L1 which you'd imagine would set them up nicely for a shot at promotion the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

As Pat says some Div 3,4 teams could still end up with just two games and two defeats. Why wasn't a group format brought in for the tier two comp? after all those at the top thinks we needed one for the last 8 in the All Ireland championship..

Going back to a competition that was scrapped because of a lack of interest is a step back not forward in my view. In the terms of trimmings the Liam MacCarthy cup had plenty of those this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

What president introduced the Tommy Murphy cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

What president introduced the Tommy Murphy cup?

Nicky Brennan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Like the hurling there is only a few teams that can realistically compete for Sam Maguire.
    In the last 10 years 4 different counties have won Sam, 5 different counties have won Liam. It’s never really going to jump much higher.

The weaker hurling counties had to suck it up and get on with their new Tiered All Irelands with pathetic coverage and almost a blitz type run off.

Look what Laois done this year under Eddie Brennan, they grabbed the opportunity with both hands and made it to the All Ireland q final and lost to eventual winners Tipp by 10pts with 14 men. Tipp bet Kilkenny by 14pts.

Kerry, Westmeath and Carlow hurlers have all improved under the new structures. In 2007, Kerry were Nearly relegated to the Nicky Rackard but then put structures in place to get into division 1b hurling in 2016 and Joe McDonagh.
    They have all put massive underage coaching in place in heir own counties with the backing of their county board (I know they are in Joe McDonagh and counties below that are treated worse).

Some counties will moan and moan and use it as a further excuse from not getting their house in order but the few counties that do take that opportunity to improve can benefit from the new Football Tier 2.

You can sink or swim.

conor05 wrote: »
    Like the hurling there is only a few teams that can realistically compete for Sam Maguire.
    In the last 10 years 4 different counties have won Sam, 5 different counties have won Liam. It’s never really going to jump much higher.

The weaker hurling counties had to suck it up and get on with their new Tiered All Irelands with pathetic coverage and almost a blitz type run off.

Look what Laois done this year under Eddie Brennan, they grabbed the opportunity with both hands and made it to the All Ireland q final and lost to eventual winners Tipp by 10pts with 14 men. Tipp bet Kilkenny by 14pts.

Kerry, Westmeath and Carlow hurlers have all improved under the new structures. In 2007, Kerry were Nearly relegated to the Nicky Rackard but then put structures in place to get into division 1b hurling in 2016 and Joe McDonagh.
    They have all put massive underage coaching in place in heir own counties with the backing of their county board (I know they are in Joe McDonagh and counties below that are treated worse).

Some counties will moan and moan and use it as a further excuse from not getting their house in order but the few counties that do take that opportunity to improve can benefit from the new Football Tier 2.

You can sink or swim.

Hurling has a good structure. This football one is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

GAA should be investing in counties, that will make them stronger.

Roscommon county board can't afford to field a junior county side, couldn't afford turnstiles at Hyde Park (and were pressurised by the GAA and connacht council to get them or no more finals in the hyde) and went cap in hand around the bars and restaurants to get enough money so that our under 17 side had a decent hotel to stay in for all ireland final in 2017.

We are considered a top 8 team so can't imagine the struggles Longford, Louth, Leitrim, Wicklow have to endure financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Sounds like the shelf life of this tier 2 competition will be shorter than the Tommy Murphy cup

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/1106/1089127-gpas-flynn-tier-2-player-boycott-is-a-possibility/

Sounds like the shelf life of this tier 2 competition will be shorter than the Tommy Murphy cup

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/1106/1089127-gpas-flynn-tier-2-player-boycott-is-a-possibility/

Boycott or not, the big wigs in Croke Park don’t want the weaker counties involved in the run for Sam Maguire. This is the way it’s going to stay.
    They want an elite 8 and that’s it. Louth and Leitrim boycotting it won’t make one difference, the only ones that will lose out will be county boards and players.
    It won’t affect Croke Park (pockets) and that’s all that matters to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Boycott or not, the big wigs in Croke Park don’t want the weaker counties involved in the run for Sam Maguire. This is the way it’s going to stay.
    They want an elite 8 and that’s it. Louth and Leitrim boycotting it won’t make one difference, the only ones that will lose out will be county boards and players.
    It won’t affect Croke Park (pockets) and that’s all that matters to them.

Makes no sense, they would love to see a deep run in the cship for one of the weaker counties. Louth or Leitrim would bring massive crowds to a last 8 game

Makes no sense, they would love to see a deep run in the cship for one of the weaker counties. Louth or Leitrim would bring massive crowds to a last 8 game

Louth got to a division 3 final 2 years ago in Croke Park against Tipperary and 650 of their ‘massive crowd’ came to support them.

You might say it’s only a league final, but it’s very rare for Louth to play in Croke Park, never mind a final in Croke Park.

Actually the Division 4 Final was Westmeath v Wexford and division 3 final was Tipp v Louth that day and between the 4 counties they brought a combined attendance of wait for it.......5,000. Absolutely shocking.

The Kerry hurling county final regularly gets 5,000 at it and that’s in a football dominated county.

Do your research before replying about not making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

So this is my crazy alternative to the tier 2 system. Open to all criticism as every system is.

1. Scrap the Provincial Championships.
    2. Have Championship directly linked to League placings.
    3. At the end of the NFL, bottom 16 teams placed in 4 groups of 4 with seedings based on League finishing position. Each team plays 3 games like current Super 8 with top two in each group going to next stage. This mini league to be played in May over 3 week period.
    4. Round 2: the 8 qualifiers from group stages play the 8 teams in Div 2 over two legs home and away. June.
    5. Round 3: 8 Winners advance to Rd 3 to play 8 Div 1 teams over two legs home and away. July
    6. Quarter finals and semi finals to be played in open draw over one game. August.
    7. Push AI final back one week

Pro's: Even the weakest Counties get at least 3 games against teams of a similar level. Possibly give's teams a chance to develop a head of steam before the next round against stronger teams.
    All teams are starting off with a shot at the Sam Maguire.
    This system also means bigger counties may get a chance to play Club Championships before July/August.
    More importance placed on League as it provides advantages for doing well.

Con's: No provincial Championships.
    Giving stronger teams a bye would appear to give them an advantage, but perhaps the fact that they would be coming in cold might give the weaker teams more of a chance, and I bet the stronger Counties would not like that idea, hence the two leg ties.
    Some teams may only get 2 games.
    8 teams out before June.
    May be little interest in the mini league, but up to GAA to really promote.

Main possible alteration. Instead of two legs in Round 2/3. Have a straight one game tie.
    Pro's: Possible more chance of upsets, due to teams coming in cold, but itsnt that what the GAA want.
    Con's: Could see some teams only having one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yeah can't see this thing lasting too long.

Ridiculous people like our own Hugh Lynn (roscommon Pro) was supporting this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Louth got to a division 3 final 2 years ago in Croke Park against Tipperary and 650 of their ‘massive crowd’ came to support them.

You might say it’s only a league final, but it’s very rare for Louth to play in Croke Park, never mind a final in Croke Park.

Actually the Division 4 Final was Westmeath v Wexford and division 3 final was Tipp v Louth that day and between the 4 counties they brought a combined attendance of wait for it.......5,000. Absolutely shocking.

The Kerry hurling county final regularly gets 5,000 at it and that’s in a football dominated county.

Do your research before replying about not making sense.

So is there more than that coming to those counties championship games that will stop if there's a second tier?

• Advertisement

They need to even up the provinces if they insist on keeping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They need to even up the provinces if they insist on keeping them.

They need to get rid of them. End of.

I like the proposal above, but get rid of the 2 legs.

They wouldn't want less of the big teams playing and missing two rounds.

8 groups of 4, top two to straight 16 knockout, bottom two to straight 16 B knockout. Play each other once in the group or twice if it fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

DonegalBay wrote: »
    So this is my crazy alternative to the tier 2 system. Open to all criticism as every system is.

1. Scrap the Provincial Championships.
    2. Have Championship directly linked to League placings.
    provincial championships shouldn't have to be scrapped. By all means change their role in fight for Sam to help streamline season but keep them. Winning one means so much and is chance for some counties to win silverware they otherwise wont win
    3. At the end of the NFL, bottom 16 teams placed in 4 groups of 4 with seedings based on League finishing position. Each team plays 3 games like current Super 8 with top two in each group going to next stage. This mini league to be played in May over 3 week period.
    why?
    Sides from other divisions disadvantaged and doesnt help them
    Pro's: Even the weakest Counties get at least 3 games against teams of a similar level. Possibly give's teams a chance to develop a head of steam before the next round against stronger teams.
    All teams are starting off with a shot at the Sam Maguire.
    This system also means bigger counties may get a chance to play Club Championships before July/August.
    More importance placed on League as it provides advantages for doing well.
    counties if they stand firm on demands from county coaches and clubs and county boards grow a pair then club championship games can be played earlier in the year.

they dont. The time it takes for them to be played off is the issue not anything else. They still should and IMO have to be played

Advertisement