Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subaru Legacy 2.0 TD 2010, EGR clean?

Options
  • 21-10-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Evening All
    I have an issue with the EGR valve fault on my Subaru Legacy. I was wondering before I buy a new EGR valve , is it possible for me to get the EGR valve cleaned somewhere near Dublin.Would anybody have an idea of the cost of cleaning an Egr valve or know anything about the process.Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It is supposed to be a pretty handy DIY job on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

How’s the car running for you?
    Had to sell my 2009 one a few years ago as engine was needing the rebuild due to the crankshaft issues
    Still miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Great car..its running grand..powerful but with engine management light on its slowing it down a tad...love to know where I could get it resolved..otherwise i will buy a new EGR valve...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You posted in DIY forum OP so now you have to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

If you are in Kinnegad it might be worth trying Finnegans on the Main Street in Ballymahon. They do work on lots of Subarus

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that.I might give finnegans a ring..I'm not mechanically minded at all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

DIY >>> main Motors forum

Morning All
    Just an update. I bought a brand new EGR valve and had it installed by mechanic.
    Those lights are still illuminated...engine light and VDC light....:(

Did you know it was an EGR fault to begin with? I assume the code was read, EGR done, and fault cleared?

Yea mechanic ran diagnostic and egr fault came up. So i had it replaced...fault cleared but to no avail

• Advertisement

So what fault does it have now?

Mechanic will put the scanner on it this week hopefully ...but the same lights are illuminated as before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

He doesn't sound like mechanic more like a part fitter.

To be fair there’s nothing to say it’s the same fault again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mechanic will put the scanner on it this week hopefully ...but the same lights are illuminated as before

Why didn’t he do that before giving you the car back? It’s a 2 minute job to read the codes and find out what the error is.

Anyway if he didn’t clear the codes then you should try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery. Leave it off for ten minutes then reconnect it. Once reconnected, start the engine, do NOT rev it and leave it idling for ten minutes. Then switch it off again and restart it and hopefully the light should stay off. Go for a drive then and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the info...as far as I'm aware mechanic cleared and reset lights on dash..so this morning I disconnected the positive terminal on battery ..waited 5mins and reconnected..dash lights gone...drove 10 mins lights back on....I will try what you said tomorrow ...thanks for the update

Why didn’t he do that before giving you the car back? It’s a 2 minute job to read the codes and find out what the error is.

Anyway if he didn’t clear the codes then you should try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery. Leave it off for ten minutes then reconnect it. Once reconnected, start the engine, do NOT rev it and leave it idling for ten minutes. Then switch it off again and restart it and hopefully the light should stay off. Go for a drive then and see how it goes.

Yea tried this yesterday. But lights came back on after 1 hour. Will see what mechanic says during the week

Advertisement