Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on choice of video recording equipment

Options
  • 22-10-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

My partner has been asked to record a play for 2 nights. She is doing it as a favour. We are debating whether to record on her Nikon D3400 with a 35mm f1.4 lens and buy a 70-200 f2.8 sigma lens
    Or buy an iPhone 11 pro (she is due a new phone anyway but probably wouldn’t spend on a iPhone unless for this purpose).
    The software built into phones these days is incredible and I wonder would she have less work to do in post with a phone&tripod/gimbal.

I would really appreciate any thoughts...

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

In the absence of anyone more qualified, I would say the Nikon with appropriate lenses would be considerably better for that job. While the software in smartphones is "impressive", it's still no match for physical hardware - a decent sized sensor and "proper" lenses.

On the other hand, if you/your partner is not used to recording video of live events with the Nikon, then the results might be better with a smartphone.

For that kind of a shoot, I would use two cameras at a minimum - one for close-up/mobile shots, the other for longer/whole stage shots; a third camera would be even better (additional point-of-view from left or right of the auditorium, or from the wings). One of these could be a smartphone.

If this is to be more than just a souvenir recording, your partner will get much better results recording the whole thing from multiple (simultaneous) angles on the first night, reviewing the footage straight away and recording additional/alternative material at the next performance.

Another thing: memory! Video - especially HD - uses massive amounts of memory. If the play is one hour long, and you're recording the whole thing (to be edited later) you'll need about 24GB of spare memory. Double that (obviously) for a two-hour performance. You should, ideally, be able to record all of that onto removable memory (SD card) for processing, regardless of whether it's in a camera or on a phone. A quick bit of googling suggests that the 256GB iPhone is the minimum you should consider if you're serious about recording video (and keeping it to HD).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 beaugester

That is very useful, thank you so much for that. We will take your advice on the camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Battery life is another thing to watch out for if you don't have the power adapter. DSLRs' are notorious for burning up batteries when using either video or live-view.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The iPhone 11 has some nice low light tricks but these are mostly for still images (often combining several exposures) and not video. It can do 4K60 but don’t expect miracles in challenging light.

Your best bet is going to be a pair of proper cameras each with a fast lens and a tripod. Use a wide lens to capture the entire stage and have a long lens to take closeups during the performance.

As mentioned power and memory are essential. Bear in mind a typical SLR will write to a FAT32 formatted card so it’ll stop recording once 4GB is written so you won’t get continuous recording. Also get into the venue, ideally during a rehearsal, and make sure you’re happy with the quality of the video you capture.

Consider renting some gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Best to rent as suggested I think. Will be much darker than you think in an auditorium.

Phones make incredible video these days, but they're no match for a big sensor.

5uspect wrote: »
    Bear in mind a typical SLR will write to a FAT32 formatted card so it’ll stop recording once 4GB is written so you won’t get continuous recording.
    "Stop" and "continuous" depend on the camera. My Canon DSLRs interrupt the recording at 4GB but don't stop. The recording continues almost imperceptibly in a new file.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Stop" and "continuous" depend on the camera. My Canon DSLRs interrupt the recording at 4GB but don't stop. The recording continues almost imperceptibly in a new file.

Lots of canons STOP. Canon did this so the D line didnt eat into the C line. You need to be really careful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

I have a Nikon D3300 and I find the auto focus not good and sometimes you can hear, on the video (Clicks sounds) when it is trying to auto focus, hence I do not use it for video.

ED E wrote: »
    Lots of canons STOP. Canon did this so the D line didnt eat into the C line. You need to be really careful here.

Hence my use of the phrase depend on the camera! wink.png My 1200D stops, my 70D keeps going with a new file. That said a bit of googling suggests that there's a separate <30min limit built into the recording length for some legal reason. My cameras are too useful to be left recording the same scene from the same angle for that length of time, so I've never hit that limit in practice. Something else to be check out ...

B1gft wrote: »
    I have a Nikon D3300 and I find the auto focus not good and sometimes you can hear, on the video (Clicks sounds) when it is trying to auto focus, hence I do not use it for video.

In a theatre setting, autofocus should be turned off to avoid the risk of focussing on the wrong target if/when someone moves in front of the camera (member of the public leaving their seat, member of the cast crossing in front of the actor speaking).

But the clicking (or other extraneous noise) shouldn't be a problem because the camera audio should only be used for synchronising with audio taken directly from the sound-deck, or if there isn't one, an independent audio recording device placed in an optimal position in the auditorium. Wherever the camera is, that's not going to be optimal! A smartphone can be great for this, either using the in-built mic or an external feed, unless you're looking for really high quality sound.

• Advertisement
Advertisement