Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Did the same thing the other day, felt something was off with me, then I realized, no watch.

Although the tan line is so prominent I could draw on a dial and no one would notice.

I was thinking of making a sundial out of bluetack and paper clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Am I the only one who is irritated by the fact the model is wearing a Gucci coat with the sleeve tags still on?
    Always strikes me as a sign someone has no clue how to wear a suit or sports coat when I see someone with those still on a racket after leaving the shop.
    That Gucci would try and make it part of their branding screams chav to me :eek:

The watch itself, I kinda like it!
    Its unusual enough that it will stand out, but that said I'd be buying an Ali lookalike before I'd drop 1600 quid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I saw a video on YouTube yesterday about a Ball Engineer III Marvelite and have been mildly obsessed with them today.

They look nice, have a good sized lug to lug for me and tritium tubes for lume. I even like the white dialled version which I'm not really a fan of with watches.

Just a shame they have a cyclops date magnifier. A limited number of each model also makes it less likely I'll ever pick one up unless I hunt around for a deal for a while.

Can't seem to edit my post to include images so adding it here.

493484.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Can't seem to edit my post to include images so adding it here.

That's nice..Ball doesnt look quite as good as Rolex or Omega on the dial.. that's me just being a snob..

That's nice..Ball doesnt look quite as good as Rolex or Omega on the dial.. that's me just being a snob..

I can absolutely see where you're coming from with that. Brand recognition at that price point is a nice thing to have. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the cyclops magnifier ruins most Rolex for me.

Seriously, if there was no magnifier on it, I may have been able to convince myself to buy one today on impulse. Something about it really appeals to me. I even found a place in London with one in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

I can absolutely see where you're coming from with that. Brand recognition at that price point is a nice thing to have. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the cyclops magnifier ruins most Rolex for me.

Seriously, if there was no magnifier on it, I may have been able to convince myself to buy one today on impulse. Something about it really appeals to me. I even found a place in London with one in stock.

The cyclops is very easily removed in seconds.

Here's one method, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycgh7GM8kMc

You're a bad man...

Not sure if have the balls or disposable income to do that on a watch costing over a grand, in case I made a mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

You're a bad man...

Not sure if have the balls or disposable income to do that on a watch costing over a grand, in case I made a mess of it.

Never done it myself but it's just attached with UV glue, bit of heat melts it and it comes slides off. Rolex owners seem to do it all the time.

• Advertisement

I've a watch around somewhere with a magnifier on it so I must give it a try.

This could open up a whole new world of bankruptcy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I wouldn't think of removing it. Its part of the watch and is unqiue to watches.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Jaysus I'd assumed it was part of the crystal not a seperate piece stuck on. Makes more sense I suppose.

Jaysus I'd assumed it was part of the crystal not a seperate piece stuck on. Makes more sense I suppose.
    Older crystals were made from acrylic via moulding so the cyclops was usually integral. It's easy to do it integral when you make via a moulding process.

With sapphire crystals they're sliced from a big block so the cyclops is typically separate and stuck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

With a sapphire crystal the fastest way to remove the cyclops is just to use a sharp chisel. Line it up with the cyclops and just a tap with a hammer and ping it's gone. If needed you can use a little alcohol wipe to remove the glue.

I done it a few months ago, the wart went flying somewhere around the garage and I still haven't found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

HDMI wrote: »
    With a sapphire crystal the fastest way to remove the cyclops is just to use a sharp chisel. Line it up with the cyclops and just a tap with a hammer and ping it's gone. If needed you can use a little alcohol wipe to remove the glue.

I done it a few months ago, the wart went flying somewhere around the garage and I still haven't found it.

One tip I found when dealing with removing little fiddly items is to put the whole thing into a clear plastic bag - anything that gets removed usually can be found easily in the bag (springbars, screws, hands, cyclops etc).

…Hands as in watch hands (happy halloween ;) )

Yeah, this worked incredibly well. Tried it out on a Chinese watch I picked up ages ago to tinker with so I imagine the Ball watch will likely be glued better.

Just a waiting game now.

Was walking through Limerick City today, glanced in the window of Keane's and they have a Rolex Blue Sub 116659 on display for the princely sum of €12600 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

For first time today my gshock all metal flashed low... Welcome to winter in Ireland :) left it by window again and all good

For first time today my gshock all metal flashed low... Welcome to winter in Ireland :) left it by window again and all good
    In winter it takes about 150 hours of through-a-window sunlight to go from 50% to 100%.

So while your low warning might be gone, i'd say it is still hovering around a low-ish state of charge. It definitely won't be full from just a few hours. Give it a good bit of window time over the next days & weeks if possible. It's better for the long-term health of the battery that the voltage doesn't drop too low, or that it doesn't spend a long time in a low state-of-charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

I’ve never even seen M on the charge state of my GST W300 always showing H. Not outdoors much this time of year but it’s rarely under a cuff.

It goes to sleep and digital display switches off after an hour in the dark. After 6 days it goes to deep sleep mode and stops moving hands but keeps time. Looks cool to see the hand turning when the watch resets itself to the correct time when you take it out. Only realised last week though it doesn’t actually receive the Radio controlled atomic time while in deep sleep. Wasn’t wearing it when the clocks went back and it was an hour wrong. Just switched time zones and it corrected itself that night.

A few hours outdoors - even on a dull day - really does the job. It's 5-10x more effective than inside by a window, and 100x more effective than indoor artificial lighting.

Obviously that gets less practical in winter so approaching winter I try to rotate my solar watches and give them all some wrist time outdoors. Once they're high going into winter they'll generally stay high just from sitting in an open-top watch case.

Some of the newer Seiko solar watches actually tell you how much charge they're getting (on a scale of 1-10) at any given time. I don't have that on any of my solars but it sounds like a very common-sense feature.

I may need some input from you good people!
    Thanks to Thirdfox, I found HKED and his line of Bundeswehr Homage watches.
    The latest model gets released on Monday and there are 4 dial options and 2 bezels, whilst the blue sunburst and panda dials are nice.
    For me it will be the sterile black dial variant, that much I am certain of.
    But I've just learned there will be 2 bezel variants, black and steel.
    The black is the classic of course, but I have the black bezeled U2 so I am leaning towards the steel.
    What say you good folk?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=494847&d=1573306990

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Black bezel for me B.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Normally prefer a steel bezel myself as it stands up to dings much better but in this case I'd go with black.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Black bezel for me B.

Honestly it's what I know I should get, and know I should want.
    Just have an inkling that it's too similar to the U2.
    I suppose I won't be wearing both at the same time tho ;) :pac:

Saw one of the new Seiko 5 divers with the SKX007 case last week in Belfast. Tried on the one on mesh. £270 said he'd do it for £240 without me even asking. Really liked the mesh bracelet. Didn't really like the white chapter ring though prefer the black or navy that are all one colour they don't come on mesh though. Still prefer the original SKXs but they are going for silly money now really should have bought one years ago. Will probably wait till these new Seiko 5s are available on creation for less than €200 preferably closer to the €150 mark!
    494853.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Steel bezel looks brighter to me. But all mine are black.:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

banie01 wrote: »
    The black is the classic of course, but I have the black bezeled U2 so I am leaning towards the steel.
    What say you good folk?

I prefer it in black but I would ask if he will sell you the stainless bezel separately, and then swap as the mood takes you.

• Advertisement

HDMI wrote: »
    I prefer it in black but I would ask if he will sell you the stainless bezel separately, and then swap as the mood takes you.

Genius Idea!

@HDMI, thanks for the idea.
    An email and an additional $40 and I have best of both :D
    Should be here in early January and I'm bloody chuffed but no longer left buy any more watches without moving 1 on 1st now :pac:

Advertisement