Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB Smart Meter Rollout Smart??

Options
  • 16-10-2019 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

The ESB Smart Meter roll out is starting in counties Cork, Kildare & Laois this autumn. I have mentioned this to people I know in the UK & had a look at articles on the web on this. It seems there has been a number of concerns regarding these meter, namely:

Inaccurate readings resulting in higher electricity bills
    Not possible to switch suppliers
    Smart meter not working correctly with LED bulbs, dimmer switches & solar panels - smart meter can't record when a different current is used apparently
    Customers experiencing a loss of connection
    Affected by weather
    Faulty meters being installed
    First generation meter still being installed

The upgrade was not compulsory in UK and I know someone who refused the smart meter
    Just wondering if these smart metres are compulsory in Ireland and what are the implications to opt out? Letters from ESB don't give any indication if you can opt out of the upgrade.
    I'm not able to post links / url's but if you google the following there is some info:

Not so smart the problems with smart meter
    BBC News Why your smart meter may not be so smart after all
    BBC News Smart meter why they are driving some people mad

Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I see you have started the same thread in multiple forums.

Smart meters are the future, I think you should embrace it. I would take many of the claims in your post with a large grain of salt. For example I don’t believe that a meter can somehow disconnect the power.

Smart meters are a good idea going forward as long as companies are never allowed to bill on apparant power, as many devices these days have a poor power factor.

They should be good for people who have microgeneration capability (or EV battery storage) who can "lend" power and then get it back at a reduced rate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smart meters are a good idea going forward as long as companies are never allowed to bill on apparant power, as many devices these days have a poor power factor.

They should be good for people who have microgeneration capability (or EV battery storage) who can "lend" power and then get it back at a reduced rate.

I'm fairly certain the intent with these is to always charge on apparent power...

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain the intent with these is to always charge on apparent power...
    I hope not, most LED lamps have a pf of 50-75% that could add a considerable amount to bills.

If that's the case, it may be time to invest in a DC lighting circut with a good quality lighting PSU with a high pf to avoid being over charged for electric.

Having a DC lighting ring would be great for longevity as well because most LED failures are caused by the crappy capacitive droppers many LED lamps use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Friend has got his installed in Bandon this AM, its a Kamstrup DK 8660 model, the accompanying ESB leaflet says that the meter will continue to be read until 2021.
    He only had time for a quick look but said that it doesn't display present load but maybe eventually one may be able to use some app to do this and input the cost/kwh to get a running cost in real time.?, after all its supposed to be a smart meter.

Here is the data sheet taken from another boards.ie posting.
    https://able.co.uk/media/2015/01/omni-single-phase-datasheet.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Parkstone Quay

2011 wrote: »
    I see you have started the same thread in multiple forums.

Smart meters are the future, I think you should embrace it. I would take many of the claims in your post with a large grain of salt. For example I don’t believe that a meter can somehow disconnect the power.

So, it's going to work because the... man in the hat... said it would work....
    I'm not claiming anywhere in the post that a meter can disconnect power, it is do with loss of connection in terms of weak signals coming from the smart meters and connectivity problems.
    Large amount of problems in other areas of Europe reported and years before consumers make any savings due to installation costs reported, and even then negligible at that. Plenty of info online.
    So it turns out that these smart meters are not compulsory anyway. You don't have to have one fitted. You can phone ESB Networks on 1850 372 757 (option zero). Give them your account details and ask to opt-out.
    The letters that ESB and their contractors send out don't state that there is an option to decline, only that they will be in your area fitting smart meters including the one at your address. So, for anyone so inclined you can decline. You can also reverse your decision at any time in the future and have one fitted.
    Plenty of info online that these meters were not a success in other parts of Europe. I'll be keeping my powder dry for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I thought it was illegal to sell (or use?) devices with pf < 80%

Was told that back in college.!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

L1011 wrote: »

Can you elaborate on this, tried reading up on it and none the wiser as to what it could mean
    Have a lot of LED lighting in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Kamstrup state
    "Energy reading OMNIPOWER single-phase meter has one shunt for current measurement and resistance division for voltage measurement. Energy consumption is calculated as an expression of the current compared to the phase voltage and time. The energy registration is communicated to the meter's legal processor via the meter's own internal bus system and is summed in the meter's main registers."

Based on this it would suggest that the PF is not taken into account but now that heat pumps are increasingly being installed (with compressor & motor) then the PF correction becomes more important for correct energy measurement.
    So even if you hold on to your own meter, I don't think this takes PF into account either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Probably the same people who object to 5g masts / vaccines / (insert what you like here) will believe any sh1te they find on facebook (the bible for naysayers and fools) about smart meters

OP - you should read up on how faulty some of the current meters are. - But then that wouldn't suit your argument.

btw - here's scientific research to debunk the facebook sh1te https://esmig.eu/news/do-emc-disturbances-affect-smart-meters

• Advertisement
Advertisement